Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:44:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationMy Digital Self Expression [Finished]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: My Digital Self Expression [Finished]  (Read 9225 times)
FahrenheitBaguette
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2008, 07:38:05 AM »

This is my entry, My Digital Self Expression.

You give My Digital Self Expression a poem, which it interprets by drawing a flower.

The gameplay is simply exploring the space of possible flowers and learning My Digital Self Expression's personality.

On a technical note, I used My Digital Self Expression as a testbed for vector graphics in Javascript and it turns out the performance is a little underwhelming.  I was able to run it in IE 7, Firefox 2 and Opera 9, but it's pretty slow on anything other than Firefox.

And for those who are interested ...

The inspiration for this project came from all the talk I've been hearing recently about people wanting to create the "YouTube of games."  Mainly, I think that means wanting to create a website that sells for billions of dollars, but to some degree it also means providing a platform for building and sharing games.  Metaplace, Whirled and Sims Carnival are such sites that have already gone alpha or beta, and I bet there are many more that are still unannounced.

In order to be more accessible and increase the amount of content coming in, most of the YouTube of games sites provide some kind of simplified programming environment custom tailored for building games.  But where anyone who can plug in a webcam can create a YouTube video, making a game still requires at least some kind of programming, even if it's in a language that looks more like a flow chart than C++.

Just like people say they "can't do calculus," I think some people can't do programming.  Not that they're mentally incapable of doing it, it's just the kind of structured sequential anal retentiveness required to program, whether C or Gamemaker, doesn't excite them.  It's not the state of mind they want to be in for the length of time it takes to make a game.  The problem is, programming aptitude has very little to do with design sense.

When I was doing hobby game development in school, I had a friend named Stuart who I consider to be very smart, but not a very good programmer.  He was one of those people who just couldn't do it.  Stuart could, however, come up with really inspired game design ideas, so we worked together, me as the programmer and Stuart as the idea man.  Instead of just describing his designs in words, though, Stuart would often give me a song or a movie clip which had a similar "feeling" to the game idea he'd just come up with.  His examples communicated the intangibles of the ideas much more effectively than words, and I therefore I was better able to translate them into game code.

Not every Stuart has a spare programmer to do his bidding, but if we're ever going to have a real YouTube of games, anybody, programmer or no, has to be able to contribute.  My Digital Self Expression is a prototype of a more accessible interface for content creation.  Obviously it would have been much better if it could create games instead of just flowers, but hopefully it does convey the idea of taking a piece of media that a non-programmer might be comfortable with (in this case, a poem) and then automatically translating it into something the computer can understand and build something from.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 08:30:23 AM »

Can I say I like the game, I like some of your ideas, but not their intersection? Warning: overly long rant ahead (with probably too many unjustified extremes)

I'm not really sure a completely free range of expression converted into game form is possible at the moment. That is, I believe games can be as expressive as we can make them, but if you abstract the creation process from the programming too far, there will be significant artistic limitations or else it will just be programming gussied up in a different form.

Programming to me requires figuring out the logical sequence of actions that the computer must take to do what you want. Whether it's strictly formatted text (most languages), something that looks closer to natural language (Inform, this game to a point), the flowcharts you mentioned, or a crazy grid (Clickteam's products), I see that transformation of sequential logic to whatever form the programming application takes as an essential part of programming. If you take that away, what's left? Interpretation that's either essentially random or shaped in large part by the interpreter, neither of which is a full expression of the creator.

You have this game, which generates lovely flowers, but (I admittedly haven't tested it enough to see what's the case) probably takes some easily-quantized data from the poem (number of lines, length of lines, length of words) and fits it to your interpretation of what flower based on those characteristics should look like, or just hashes the poem to seed a random number generator, stripping it of all original meaning whatsoever. Take away too much control, and you get at best sprite-swapping on a common engine, at worst completely arbitrary meaning.

Sorry if that comes off as overly harsh. I do like the game. The flowers are really pretty and well-designed/coded/generated. I guess arbitrary symbolism is a bit of a sore spot for me, since that's what I kind of made my entry to mock.

jcromartie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 08:48:40 AM »

On a technical note, I used My Digital Self Expression as a testbed for vector graphics in Javascript and it turns out the performance is a little underwhelming.  I was able to run it in IE 7, Firefox 2 and Opera 9, but it's pretty slow on anything other than Firefox.

I would recommend using the Canvas element for rendering, IE be damned!  Every other major web browser is capable of doing easy-to-code, high-quality, high-performance, 2D graphics with Canvas.  Oh, and before someone chimes in: it's easier, faster, and better supported than SVG for drawing things dynamically.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 08:58:16 AM »

In terms of creating more accessible game-making software for non-coders who still want to create serious game projects, I think that programs like MMF and GameMaker are steps on the right direction. They still require a lot of code if you wanna do anything more complicated, but I have brainstormed before about a tool that took the concept of those 'canned' game making programs and expanded upon it by making even very deep and complex coding concepts accessible in a way that doesn't require you to know math stuff that's so structural that it tends to drive you away from a more abstract, artistic mindset.

Other than that, nice flower generator. Tongue

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 10:42:05 AM »

Apparently my self-expression is stunted. :/

...I guess that's what I get for riffing on people's signatures. ;-)

Expanding to a second verse got me one which looked rather dead. I was quite disappointed to find that a dirty limerick got a most attractive flower!

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
FahrenheitBaguette
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 12:49:59 PM »

I was quite disappointed to find that a dirty limerick got a most attractive flower!

I guess it has a dirty sense of humor.  Wink
thewreck
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 01:41:58 PM »

i tried this:

i do
i do!
i'll do it now!
pierce you
spear you
with this spear

but i didnt get a flower =(

how do you make it appear?

FahrenheitBaguette
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 03:17:41 PM »

how do you make it appear?

My Digital Self Expression has trouble understanding short poems.  If you don't feel the inspiration to write a longer one, copying and pasting song lyrics generally works pretty well.  Or it works as well as anything, anyway.
Yuka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 03:46:12 PM »

I wrote this poem before I read the thread so I had no idea how the game "worked". Still it turned out pretty good Smiley
Chris P
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 05:42:08 PM »

Man, the Destruction of Sennacherib makes a pretty withered flower.

Must be all that Angel of Death stuff.

Morusque
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 12:48:15 AM »

Does it recognize words or something ? It doesn't seem to work with another language than English, or maybe it was just a coincidence.

I had great fun with it.  Smiley

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 02:08:39 AM by Nurykabe » Logged
Evilish
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 04:22:25 AM »

I'm... not quite sure what mine looks like, certainly not a flower

Fun to muck around in, and can anyone guess what my poem was from?
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 11:41:48 AM »

The lyrics to Hard Rock Hallelujah don't produce a flower that is hardcore enough.

twohalf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 11:51:47 AM »

Wow... this is so cool! Seeing the process of the flower being generated is the best part in my opinion. And running on IE7 I don't really mind its performance, it seems to work well in this case. The flower seems to grow too big right behind the title though sometimes.
zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 10:08:39 AM »

I really like this entry.  A novel idea and a good use of user input.  Inspiring people to use their creativity is always cool!
Cheers,
--Zack
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic