Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:10:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsThe Super Ultra Awesome 24 Hour Prototyping Competition
Poll
Question: Are you super excited?
Yes - 3 (16.7%)
Yeeeesssssss - 9 (50%)
Other - 6 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: The Super Ultra Awesome 24 Hour Prototyping Competition  (Read 13687 times)
Nix
« on: May 07, 2011, 03:56:23 PM »

Rules:

• You have 24 hours to prototype a game using nothing but the set of assets provided
  • You cannot modify the assets or include other assets. The only graphics you are allowed to use in your games are those provided. Run-time modification of the graphics, however, is allowed (e.g. stretching, coloring, distorting). Feel free to do whatever you need conversion-wise to get the graphics loaded in your engine of choice. Since the graphics come as a single image file, this includes being able to cut it up as you wish in a graphics editor or dynamically for use in your game.
  • You can use any sounds you want as long as they are made after the competition has started (do whatever you want for sound). I recommend sfxr or mic based effects like in Jelly Car. Try not to spend too much time on fluff like this, though, unless the rest of the game is going well
  • You don't have to make a whole game. The point of this event is to exercise your creativity and explore new mechanic ideas with the limited graphics and time. You're prototyping a game mechanic, not an entire game

For some tips on rapid game development and making the most of limited graphics, check out this four part presentation by Cactus: http://www.tigwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Rapid_Game_Development

Other than that, it's pretty much up to you. Have fun and do something cool.

The competition has begun (on Friday, May 20)! Link to graphics

Feel free to use this thread for discussion, and post your finished submissions here with a big fat SUBMISSION label at the top of the post. Please support Windows at a minimum, but be aware that the more systems you support, the more people will be able to play and vote for your submission.

Important
You don't have to start immediately after the graphics are released -- you can start at any time during the weekend. I won't begin to tally up the entries until after Monday at midnight (so starting at midnight on Sunday would be okay). Please include your start and end time in your submission post, but this is more for the curiosity of others than anything -- there aren't any prizes or awards, so just be honest, please, and limit yourself to 24 hours after clicking the link to view the graphics. (Don't peek at them and then wait to start. The 24 hours should include your brainstorming time!)

If you really feel like you have to go to sleep or spend time with your family during your 24 hours, that's fine. You don't have to count those hours towards the 24 hour total (indicate sleeping/family hours in your submission post so it doesn't look like you took extra time). The timing isn't a huge deal. Just try to exercise good sportsmanship.

Special thanks to Jakman4242 and Inanimate for help with the title image (and misc.)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 11:44:35 AM by Nix » Logged
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 06:09:41 PM »

I'm in, regardless of which weekend.  Smiley

randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 09:35:28 PM »

I'll throw my hat in if it's on the 20th or later. Haven't done anything like this in a while, so pretty excited.

What file format are the assets coming, or can we resave them as what we'd like?

Edit: I assume the 24 hours during the weekend have to be contiguous? I understand that's part of the idea, but for us older folks with family, splitting the time across 2 days is a lot more feasible Smiley
selfproclaimedhacker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 09:44:52 PM »

I will partake on this  Tongue
Feral_P
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 12:06:34 AM »

I'd like to. Not sure whether I _will_ (exams and stuff going on), but thanks for organizing it anyway! Smiley
FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 09:15:39 AM »

I like this idea a lot. Hurrah!

EDIT - But it's anniversary weekend now, balls.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 02:04:59 AM by FinalSin » Logged

Games By ANGELINA - Games designed by artificial intelligence!
Cut Garnet Games - Games designed by me!
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 02:37:23 PM »

Sounds like fun. Count me in!

Nix
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 02:43:14 PM »

What file format are the assets coming, or can we resave them as what we'd like?

Absolutely. I modified the original post to make that clear.

Edit: I assume the 24 hours during the weekend have to be contiguous? I understand that's part of the idea, but for us older folks with family, splitting the time across 2 days is a lot more feasible Smiley

Hmm, yeah, that's a good idea. I'll modify the post for that too.
Nix
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 03:07:19 PM »

Date fixed for Friday, May 20
randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 05:25:44 PM »

Absolutely. I modified the original post to make that clear.
Thanks!

Hmm, yeah, that's a good idea. I'll modify the post for that too.
Awesome; much appreciated.

As for the date being the 20th: I'm in.
jlturner
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 02:30:02 PM »

I've never done a competition like this before, but it sounds fun. I'm definitely in.
Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 11:04:57 AM »

Woo! I'm definitely in! Last Ld was awesome, so let's see what will people come up with in this compo

Nix
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 11:10:32 AM »

Slight rule clarification: you are free to cut the sprites out of the graphics file to make them easier to use.
Theophilus
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 08:33:45 AM »

Most definitely participating.

EDIT: TIGWiki be down.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 06:09:45 PM »

I'll be in, but I won't be starting till saturday.
Nix
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 08:14:13 AM »

I'll be releasing the graphics in the next hour or so. Don't expect them to make any sense.   Hand Pencil
Theophilus
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 08:40:02 AM »

I can either start on this or finish school early this year. I think I'll start on this.
Nix
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 08:55:35 AM »

I'm in kind of a strange mood. I hope these aren't too eccentric: link

Have fun!
Theophilus
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 09:06:41 AM »

Droop

24 hours starts NOW for me.
Dataflashsabot
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 09:28:52 AM »

Can we pre-rotate the graphics? No big deal if I have to do that at runtime I guess, just curious.

EDIT: Also, say one of the images is of an arm... could we cut that arm into two pieces so it could be bent at runtime?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic