Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:54:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Clash Mach 2
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Clash Mach 2  (Read 956 times)
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2011, 08:32:10 AM »

Hi

A way long time ago (maybe a year or more) I made a devlog for a game I had been thinking about for a long time at that point: Dungeon Clash. Of course, with my record, it never got finished, but I never entirely dismissed the idea. A few iterations of ideas later, I'm taking another stab at it.

Basic gist is - Networked Multiplayer fire-emblem type game. Instead of training your guys and each class having a different set of stat growths, each class has a few defining qualities which differentiate it from all of the other characters: a buffed stat, a debuffed stat, a special ability, and (possibly) an on-kill ability. Each team will be composed of 4-6 characters, in any combination of classes.

On a turn, you can use each of your guys once, and they can do one of:
[Move & Attack,
Attack,
Activate Ability,
Nothing]

To start, there will be four classes:

ENT: Giant tree dude.
  • + Health
  • - Movement Speed
  • Ability: Root, to regenerate life
  • On kill: regenerate life

IMP: Floating Trickster
  • + Movement Speed
  • - Damage
  • Ability: Blink, travel through walls
  • On kill: Take another move (? possibly too broken)

Ghost
  • + Isn't affected by spikes
  • - Health
  • Ability: Incorporeal form, which makes it only take damage from spells
  • On kill: Activate Incorporeal form automatically.

EYE
  • +Extra Ability
  • - Takes extra damage
  • Ability: Beam, which hits someone that you can see for minimal damage, and ignores Ghost's Incorporeal form.
  • Ability: Scry, which reveals somewhere else on the map, although it also reveals the EYE to your opponent.
  • On Kill: Sight Radius +1 until next turn.

Will post some pictures soon. Just using ORYX's tiles from Asemblee. I've always gotten stuck in the past by undersigning things: just jumping into the code and hoping it will work out from there. This time, I started with an API. After only a day or two, I nearly have the game simulation running correctly; plugging it into a server and then building a client shouldn't take too long, either.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 08:45:37 AM by indspenceable » Logged

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 06:06:35 AM »

Finals are pretty brutal. A little progress: I've finished implementing the basic game logic: On your turn, you may move each of your units, using the base actions of move and attack. Once you are done, you send the "end turn" message and the next person gets to take their turn. I've also implemented two of the simpler special abilities: root and blink. I've started to work on client/server logic, although I've been putting off rendering anything until I have a little time to focus on it.

Luckily the game is entirely turn based which makes having everything simulated solely on the server a viable strategy. After each move, the server responds with list of transitions that the player sees, along with a new game state.

At this point a lot of missing logic is in the glue that will hold the game together (client, gameover, lobby) as opposed to the game itself. So hopefully I can get that stuff together fairly soon and start playtesting.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic