Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:29:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioFree Music Composition Software?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Free Music Composition Software?  (Read 3716 times)
Theophilus
« on: May 11, 2011, 08:14:06 AM »

Hi all~

I've recently gotten tired of OpenMPT and all of it's midi-ish sounds. I'm looking for a free or dirt cheap (Ideally less than fifty, but willing to pay up to 100) program for making

-High quality music (

or similar)
-Chiptunes

If you can recommend anything, that would be great.  Coffee
Audiosprite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 10:22:53 AM »

there's always Reaper, and the thousands of free vst plugins and instruments. don't know if a DAW is what you're looking for, though.

Theophilus
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 10:29:06 AM »

A DAW is fine. I'd prefer if it had a lot of documentation, so something more mainstream would work nicely. I'll give Reaper a try, thanks for the suggestion.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 05:26:19 PM »

I know nothing but:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-music-software.htm
Maybe?

Theophilus
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 05:46:35 PM »

Found one that looks interesting, I'll try it out when I get the chance. Thanks for the suggestions.
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 06:42:32 PM »

Since you have experience with OpenMPT, you might want to check out Renoise. I love it; it has everything that I could possibly need, and the tracker layout works with my twisted way of thinking. Plus there's a sale going on where you can nab it for around $50!
Theophilus
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 06:50:09 PM »

Since you have experience with OpenMPT, you might want to check out Renoise. I love it; it has everything that I could possibly need, and the tracker layout works with my twisted way of thinking. Plus there's a sale going on where you can nab it for around $50!

That looks perfect.
easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 01:27:43 PM »

I also suggest trying out pxtone

man of doom
Level 2

It's not Tom and Jerry!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 06:37:55 AM »

I use LMMS. I don't really know what it's like in comparison to a lot of other music software, but I like it. It's tracker based and easy to work, and doesn't seem to crash half as often as it used to. The only other music software I've ever used was Music 2000 for the PSone.

http://manofdoom.co.uk
Where all my stuff is at!
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-doom
Various musical stuff of mine
Nix
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 07:07:05 AM »

Does anyone have experience with ardour? It is only for OS X and Linux (no Windows), which is kind of neat I think. And it's open source. It looks like they make a fair amount of money in donations depending on how big the team is. US$1918.41 so far for just the month of May, and the developer(s) work full-time.
Feral_P
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 07:35:14 AM »

I use LMMS. I don't really know what it's like in comparison to a lot of other music software, but I like it. It's tracker based and easy to work, and doesn't seem to crash half as often as it used to. The only other music software I've ever used was Music 2000 for the PSone.
I second this.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 05:01:19 PM »

I'd third LMMS, but it has horrible input latency in Linux.
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 11:45:50 PM »

Another vote for LMMS here. I haven't updated mine in a while, actually, but I have to assume that it's only gotten better since the version I've been using. It comes with a plugin that emulates Game Boy sounds, too.
If you're looking for chiptune-style music, pxtone is pretty useful. It doesn't sound like any game system in particular, but if by "chiptune" you mean something with basic waveform instruments and white noise percussion, you can't go wrong with pxtone.
BitPuffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 01:23:56 PM »

Yeah, one more LMMS recommendation here! It's a great piece of software!

You can\'t spell \"Programmer\" without \"Pro\"
Theophilus
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 02:33:05 PM »

LMMS looks great, but for some reason all the sounds I produce are very fuzzy- something that seems to be my computer.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 02:11:48 AM »

That's a commercial program tho.
PostPre
Level 1

Posted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 04:01:44 PM »

Does anyone have experience with ardour? It is only for OS X and Linux (no Windows), which is kind of neat I think. And it's open source. It looks like they make a fair amount of money in donations depending on how big the team is. US$1918.41 so far for just the month of May, and the developer(s) work full-time.

I just copped it and threw $5, spent the afternoon learning it.

It's pretty much an analogue of protools with a few neat extras. There's a dedicated tool for stretching samples to be longer or shorter while maintaining the same pitch, which I've found to work excellently. You can route any audio from any source into it, since it runs on top of an audio-routing program called Jack. Automating any parameter is extremely simple, too. Like protools, it's perfect for mixing and producing.

The first thing missing right now is midi support, which they have added into the new version (Linux build only for now, though). The new build has a full midi key roll in each midi track, which looks to be a lot better integrated than protools' midi support. The second thing missing is VST support, but I mainly use AudioUnit modules for mixing/producing so no biggie.

Also, as with any program in development, it isn't perfectly stable, but it is way past usable right now.

Audiosprite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 07:22:32 PM »

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2011/05/16/bpb-freeware-studio-best-free-vst-host-applications/

Just posted today, what a coincidence. Smiley Bunch more choices for you there.

Theophilus
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 07:17:03 AM »

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2011/05/16/bpb-freeware-studio-best-free-vst-host-applications/

Just posted today, what a coincidence. Smiley Bunch more choices for you there.

No doubt that will be of great help. I think I can complete the search on my own now.

Thanks everybody.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic