Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 12:41:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCrash Viper 20XX - Retro Shmup you say?[Build 6 is out! - I'd like feedback!]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Crash Viper 20XX - Retro Shmup you say?[Build 6 is out! - I'd like feedback!]  (Read 1279 times)
AzMiLion
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2011, 04:23:20 PM »

Hello TIGSource! Gentleman
Apologies in advance if my English is a bit broken, not a native speaker.

Long time lurker here.
Reading the Devlog lately has inspired me to start working on a game myself and it is with great pride that i present to you a early build of my game. I'm posting it here with the intention of getting some decent feedback since my dead blog is not helping me get much of it.

Crash Viper 20XX

The year is 20XX and the vast emptiness of space has fallen into war, The peaceloving Greens are at war with the insane and deranged Reds! as the Greens last remaining ace pilot it is up to you to utilize various ships and their Crash weapon systems to cleanse the Red threat from the galaxy!

About
The game is being built in gamemaker, mostly so i can learn to work with it, and it's ease of use to get started in.

I was inspired by old school shoot em ups like Gradius and R-Type. Not wanting to make a clone of these awesome games since i could not do them justice i decided to work out my own weapon system and enemies. hence the Crash System was born. when your ship is fully charged you can unleash a special attack known as a Crash, the two that are currently in game are powerups to the ship you are flying but there will be different kinds of crashes once i have more ships and weaponsets ingame.

The enemies are currently spawned randomly with a small chance to spawn a bigger and tougher enemy wich actually poses a threat to you.

Controls
Arrow keys – Move/Select
X – Shoot/Confirm
C – Crash

Tools used
Paint.NET to draw pretty ships!
sfxr to make cool explosions!
Gamemaker to make the game.

Download
Grab it here! this link will always link to the latest build, i will post in the thread when it's been updated.

Feedback
I'd like feedback on pretty much everything, I'm doing the art and most of the SFX myself.
There is currently no music in the game, because i haven't made any yet.

Are you a lurker and afraid of posting?
Send me a e-mail at [email protected] or tweet me at @AzMiLion

Thanks for reading my ramblings and have fun playing Crash Viper 20XX
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:30:56 AM by AzMiLion » Logged
Geoffrey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 08:32:16 AM »

I thought stars (or whatever the little green lights are) was something I had to avoid, until I thought it was something I had to gather :p
They are too showy for a background element !

Ships and sounds are cool, I'm waiting for more !

AzMiLion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 04:57:04 AM »

I thought stars (or whatever the little green lights are) was something I had to avoid, until I thought it was something I had to gather :p
They are too showy for a background element !

Ships and sounds are cool, I'm waiting for more !

Thanks for the feedback!, I've since darkened the stars a little to reduce the "pop" they have. I think this might improve the situation.

http://imgur.com/1Bu08

e: currently working on the last size class enemy for this style of enemy and then moving on to the first boss, The plan is to use the default enemies to introduce weapons, and to have the boss use all of those weapons against you!(whilst spawning normals at you)

e2: Did a bit of gamemaking in the train.
Changes
  -Fixed the Drill not pushing enemies back when not attached.
  -Changed the background sprites into something less bright and poppy.
to do
next build
-Biggest enemy type for the first level.
-Mine enemy for the first level.
-Make an overview of current interactions between parent objects(this is more of a do it for myself thing, might put it here if there is interest, would anyone care to see how I am building this?)
-Change the Drill shot explosion graphic, this one pretty horrid.

So I'm hoping to finish all of that for the next build sometime this week. I'll bump the thread when that happens!(or is that a big no-no here)

Download link hasn't changed, grab it form the first post!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 01:28:16 PM by AzMiLion » Logged
AzMiLion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 07:30:22 AM »

Hello again TIGSource! Beer!

I went and updated the game to the next build. here's a list of changes.
general
-background stars have less "pop"
-redid the spawning code for the ship and the ship selector
enemies
-Huge Goomba type added.
-Small Bob-omb type added.
-Spawn logic for all enemies overhauled, small enemies now spawn in waves, bigger enemies have their own separate logic.
player
-added one new ship: Devil Roar.
The Devil Roar is a high-power, slowspeed combat ship.
it doesn't deploy a crash, but instead consumes 2 bars to fire a bigger piercing projectile!
-Drillship and Wideship movement/damage slightly tweaked

Images and stuff

Current ship assets in the game, or pending to be implemented(W.I.P)

Download
Grab it here!

As always, your feedback is appreciated, either by mail at [email protected] or on my twitter account here

Coming next!
When I have time to work on it again I will be working on the audio, mostly for more varied sounds for the playerships, since currently all audio is shared!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic