Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:23:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopmy first attempt to make a sprite
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: my first attempt to make a sprite  (Read 1645 times)
Kona
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2011, 03:14:01 PM »

Hi everybody! I recently started to work in sprites and i want to improve my ability in this stuff. I'm actually really happy with the final result but if someone can give me feedback, that would be great!

PD: Sorry if i commit a spelling error, i'm chilean so this isn't my mother language and i recently started studing english.
Jesse
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 04:51:55 PM »

Welcome!

The sprite is looking good, seems as though you've got many of the basics now. I'm going to save you a lot of amateur spriting by telling you the next step is to decide where your light source is and shading accordingly. You've started this a bit, but it isn't coming together yet. From what I gather from the highlight on his head, the light source is coming from behind? I would suggest moving this to the front, as it's easier to work that way when you're starting out.

Try adding some highlights to shape his face and some shadow to the back. Try deepening the shadow in his shirt and adding a highlight to his belly maybe. And give his pants some good shadow too.

Contrast is your friend!

Shiny
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 08:05:57 PM »

Here's a really quick edit that fixes their balance (they look as if they may fall over) and might give you some shading/coloring ideas:

Other things that my edit does not fix:
- There are a lot of similar colors. My edit reduces the number of colors dramatically, but it could be lowered further.
- The arm has no elbow.
- Their head appears to be floating, as if they have no neck.
Jesse
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 11:57:05 PM »

Here's a really quick edit that fixes their balance (they look as if they may fall over) and might give you some shading/coloring ideas:

Other things that my edit does not fix:
- There are a lot of similar colors. My edit reduces the number of colors dramatically, but it could be lowered further.
- The arm has no elbow.
- Their head appears to be floating, as if they have no neck.

Nice edit, great point about his balance, I missed that!

Kona
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 01:37:34 PM »

well, here is the new version. I tried to color it again from the begining. What do you think? 8D

Jesse
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 03:02:23 PM »

Very nice! The outline is pretty harsh in color and angle, but I think that's a stylistic choice, yeah?

Only things I would suggest now are either darkening the main shadow on the skin and/or using more of the main face color. I've done a bit of both below:

A bit of play with brightness/contrast, and a bit of playing with the shadow/highlight on his face. Also just a bit of roundness added to his belly because it could use some shape. You could even add more shadow to his body than I have added here, and possibly a highlight shade.

Eager to see where this sprite is going!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic