Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:40:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopSprite a Day to Improve my Skills
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Sprite a Day to Improve my Skills  (Read 3979 times)
Theophilus
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:13:31 AM »

Hi all.

I am making a commitment. I want to get better at spriting. I need this!

So I will be making a sprite, every single day, to improve. It was really hard to pull through this really crappy sprite. Here's Day 1:

This is a really, really bad sprite. Sadly, this is what my sprites look like.  Embarrassed I must improve. Please critique me, but not too hard, I can't be an expert in one day.

Thanks.

Feel free to use these sprites, though I doubt you would need to unless you are really, really desperate.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 07:31:57 AM by Theophilus » Logged
Jesse
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 03:02:54 PM »

It's broke!

Theophilus
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 06:50:01 PM »

Yeah.. there is a real need to improve, and its good that I'm not the only one bothered by that 'sprite'.
RCIX
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 09:31:46 PM »

Offhand, aside from the almost complete lack of shading and odd color choices, the may and 13 text don't really look like they are in proper perspective. I'll see if i can give you a quick shading example, but i honestly have no clue how to fix the text XD

Edit: ok i fail at shading, though i also did find that something was wonky with how the frontmost sheet is designed. Try giving it some curve Smiley
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:41:24 PM by RCIX » Logged
P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 09:32:50 PM »

Good that you want to get better. /Oblivion

Starting from the figurative top, there should actually be a stack of papers underneath it; a cube, like a bunch of post-it notes.  Right now it more looks like a sheet of paper attached to another one.  Also the line of the numbers should line up with the angle of the paper.  This is pretty easily solved; just 'steal' the lines from the side of the sheet and replicate them in the numbers.  Obviously just completely draw the one at that same line, and draw that line through the center of the 3 and curve it around that.
Theophilus
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 07:21:08 AM »

Thanks for the advice guys. I won't be refurbishing this sprite everyday, I'm making a new one. Here are today's:

I think it's much better than yesterday's sprite. I read an isometric tutorial and tried to apply what I learnt, and tried to pay more attention to detail (Lighting, for instance). I also elminated a black outline. Crits please! :D
Theophilus
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 07:28:14 AM »

Thanks! I have a busy day, so I don't think I'll do it right away. I'll keep in mind for tomorrow.
Jesse
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 08:01:55 AM »

Yeah.. there is a real need to improve, and its good that I'm not the only one bothered by that 'sprite'.

Haha sorry Theophilus! I didn't mean to imply your sprite was "so bad that it's broke!"

I was merely stating that the link was broken!  Tears of Joy (it wasn't displaying before)

Sorry about the misunderstanding!!

Last sprite: Shadow, yes! Also, maybe some more contrast in the yellow palette, like a darker dark. It could read more clearly. Also why two-px borders? The lighter color corner looks nice but the dark border around the whole thing bothers me a bit in two-px. There also seems to be a slight asymmetry but maybe that's stylistic?

Sorry again about that Tongue

Theophilus
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 08:09:57 AM »

Haha sorry Theophilus! I didn't mean to imply your sprite was "so bad that it's broke!"

I was merely stating that the link was broken!  Tears of Joy (it wasn't displaying before)

Sorry about the misunderstanding!!

Last sprite: Shadow, yes! Also, maybe some more contrast in the yellow palette, like a darker dark. It could read more clearly. Also why two-px borders? The lighter color corner looks nice but the dark border around the whole thing bothers me a bit in two-px. There also seems to be a slight asymmetry but maybe that's stylistic?

Ohh, hahaha. I still think the sprite is broke. Tongue

About today's sprite-

Shadow- Totally agree here. I remembered shading, but not shadows. -.- To be heard shading is something hard to forget.

Two px borders- stylistic.

Dark 2px border around the sprite- I think it would pop more if I added a shadow to the whole building, it looks sort of flat.

Asymmetry- If you mean in the building, it's designed that way, but I did notice that the banner was not centered. Perhaps that's what you mean?

Thanks for the feedback.
Theophilus
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 08:13:28 AM »

Okay, you got me, I'll be honest. I don't want to. Smiley
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 07:23:02 PM »

It is just me, or does it look like the yellow thing doesn't extend far enough? If it's supposed to be covering the whole door, it doesn't at the right end based on the perspective.

I could be wrong though.

Theophilus
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 07:24:44 PM »

It is just me, or does it look like the yellow thing doesn't extend far enough? If it's supposed to be covering the whole door, it doesn't at the right end based on the perspective.

I could be wrong though.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Thanks for taking notice.
paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 07:44:34 PM »

Okay, you got me, I'll be honest. I don't want to. Smiley

why not?

Theophilus
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 07:56:48 PM »

I've had quite the busy week and this feels a little bit like work to me.
Kramlack
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 09:26:43 PM »

Too much banding dammit.
Theophilus
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 08:48:06 AM »

Today's sprite:

I tried to do a lot with a limited palette. I suspect it would look better in a game with a soft glow around it.

Inspired by Gabriel Verdon's 'The Archer', here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=18578.0
Jesse
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 10:21:58 AM »

Today's sprite:

I tried to do a lot with a limited palette. I suspect it would look better in a game with a soft glow around it.

Inspired by Gabriel Verdon's 'The Archer', here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=18578.0

Is this supposed to be the moon? I honestly had no idea until I clicked your link to Gabriel's game.

It looks like... well I'm not sure what. Looking through a microscope at some organism comes to mind, or some paint splattered on a volleyball maybe...

If it IS supposed to be the moon (correct me if I'm wrong) you'll want to use references. Right now it's not reading correctly.  Sad

Theophilus
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 02:34:59 PM »

I think the color I used for the splotches is WAY too dark. Very bad sprite today. Have to admit, I rushed this one.
Jesse
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 04:51:27 PM »

It's that, yes, but it's also the pattern.

The patterns on the moon are much more complex. Gabriel's works because the patterns are lighter (like you said) and spread out more. He even has that long sliver near the side. Yours looks a bit like a paint splatter because it's focused in a line, as though paint was flung across it.

Also: The shadow on the moon doesn't come from both sides, as it's the Earth's shadow Tongue

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 07:35:47 AM »

it's not so bad, though it struck me a monochrome planet rather than the moon due to the contrast.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic