Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 03:06:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsextreme tag
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: extreme tag  (Read 1865 times)
BoxedLunch
« on: May 14, 2011, 05:54:46 PM »

EXTREME TAG

during the versus compo, i started making a game about tag, which i stopped making for absolutely no reason. it was going play much like tag, with a player being "it" and only being able to pass on the role by tapping somebody else. but this game was going to have the added risk of each player being a literal human time-bomb (or fish time-bomb, robot time-bomb, melon time-bomb, or whatever the hell you happen to be), and as long as you're "it", your life-meter keeps ticking until you are dead.

it was also going to be an arena platformer, with vertically/horizontally wrapping screens, allowing for tag at all angles.

well i've decided to start the project back up, mainly so i can send the game to the IGDA Chicago sponsored Chicago Games Showcase. so far, progress is going nicely and i should have it done by the time of the event. once the event is over, i'll release it and continue to work on it so i can add in a few extra features.

Here is a mockup*

*mockup may not reflect the actual turnout of the final product.

VIDEOS

Zulaan
Level 2

┌∩┐(◕‿◕)┌∩┐

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 06:00:17 PM »

really love that mockup, the flames almost look like they are popping out of the screen!

I got twenty-five cans in my knapsack, crossin out the wick-wack
Puttin up my name with a fat cap
BoxedLunch
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 01:29:31 PM »

here are the characters i've got in the game so far. i may add more but i'm focusing on the ones i've got right now.

they all play the same, and the one you play as is completely random.
Sakar
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 02:12:07 PM »

here are the characters i've got in the game so far. i may add more but i'm focusing on the ones i've got right now.

they all play the same, and the one you play as is completely random.

PLEASE allow us to choose a character Beg

I want to play as that cat so bad
Zulaan
Level 2

┌∩┐(◕‿◕)┌∩┐

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 02:21:16 PM »

You should make a dog character

I got twenty-five cans in my knapsack, crossin out the wick-wack
Puttin up my name with a fat cap
Theophilus
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 02:23:48 PM »

Make my octopus as a character!
BoxedLunch
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 04:08:51 PM »

i'll try to start taking requests when i finish the game for the igda event. Smiley
BoxedLunch
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 04:16:41 PM »

sorry for the lack of update, over the last few days i've been trying to get the player object finished, not quite done yet, but once i am i should be able to finish the game pretty quickly. i've had a bit of homework so i can't really say i've accomplished a whole lot, but here's what i have been working on and/or finished:

-i've been making a configuration file for joy2key so you can play with gamepads (by the way, you may not want to use the keyboard for this, unless you want a really cramped experience.)

-i've been working on the gun for the non "it" players, currently the bullets go a medium length distance and destroy themselves so you can't spam bullets. i plan on making them as objects that can slow down players or knock them into obstacles (obstacles will be more prominent in the final version).

-i've been creating the stats for both "it" and non "it" players. the "it" player will move differently than the regular players. for example, they will be slightly faster than the other players and be able to double jump, in exchange for their ability to shoot. i'm going to keep working on these though to make sure that the two types of players are balanced.

-finally, i added it so that the "it" player is colored red (a random shade for each player).

i'm trying to decide whether or not the timers should be displayed above players or at the corners. which do you guys think would work best?
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 04:19:35 PM »

Above players, as long as they are nice and stylish.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 04:41:46 PM »

make a tag gun, so its not impossible to actually tag other players

BoxedLunch
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 05:20:06 PM »

i've been working on finishing up all of the player actions. the second player is there so i can test the force the bullets have against other players.

the font for the counter is Casual Encounter by Anna Anthropy. i felt it would be a good choice, because it was simple, and i am able to add a slight twitch to the counters without it affecting their readability, which is why the upper player has a few out of place pixels in their counter.

so far the game is coming along well, and i should have it done when i wanted to.

once the showcase version is done, i will start adding in new characters and levels. i hope to make each of the new levels have a special little gimmick to them to spice things up. such as a water flow that hits the level occasionally, a pit that traps a player until another one falls in, things like that. but i will also try to make these features a choice, if you prefer a more simple version of the game.
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 11:37:57 AM »

i've been working on finishing up all of the player actions. the second player is there so i can test the force the bullets have against other players.

the font for the counter is Casual Encounter by Anna Anthropy. i felt it would be a good choice, because it was simple, and i am able to add a slight twitch to the counters without it affecting their readability, which is why the upper player has a few out of place pixels in their counter.

so far the game is coming along well, and i should have it done when i wanted to.

once the showcase version is done, i will start adding in new characters and levels. i hope to make each of the new levels have a special little gimmick to them to spice things up. such as a water flow that hits the level occasionally, a pit that traps a player until another one falls in, things like that. but i will also try to make these features a choice, if you prefer a more simple version of the game.
No! Make it bizarrely complex!
Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 07:15:03 AM »

I don't want to be able to understand this.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic