Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:11:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationSelf Destruct [Finished]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: Self Destruct [Finished]  (Read 76880 times)
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2008, 03:07:00 PM »

I have questions about the score. Does it subtract anything from the score if you get hit? Also, do you get points for every ship you blow up with your nuke or is it just there to get you out from tough situations?

Nope, nothing in the game should cause your score to go down. The nukes are really just there to help you progress, if you want to get a really really highscore you shouldn't use them at all Smiley Not only do you not get any score from anything they happen to destroy, but one of the best ways in the game to increase your score is to collect yellow powerups when you've already got a nuke!

I also had that network error before I think. ZoneAlarm asks if you wanna accept Self Destruct everytime you start it up, even if you check the "remember this answer" box so I just added it to the list of accepted programs in ZoneAlarm and now it works.

Good to know Smiley I thought it was interesting that the default windows firewall doesn't have a problem with the network code in the game. But then again, it's literally doing nothing more that reading a string from php scripts.

And sorry, I really need to offer an offline mode, I think Tongue Something like nenad did with the highscore sync in Rescue the Beagles is probably the way I'll go, so that players can upload scores later...

It's tough to distinguish one power-up from another, give them more recognizable shapes perhaps.  Also, [...] It would be cool if in the later waves foreground stuff started appearing, like asteroids and stuff, to distract the player and screw with visibility.

I was hoping the glow might help with the powerups, but I guess not Sad I'll look into that for the final version in a few weeks.

As for the foreground elements, I'm not sure that's a good idea - sounds like it might increase the likelyhood of cheap and unfair deaths, which is just going to piss people off Sad

Also, the shield needs to animate somehow, just a purple blob looks unpolished on this awesome game Lips Sealed

haha, spot the only bit of artistic input I had :D

Everything about this game is just wonderful.
Congratulations to a work well done! Gentleman

GReat game, love it lots!

This is my favorite game in the competition.

Thank you so much! Beer!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 03:11:55 PM by Terry » Logged

Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2008, 04:17:04 PM »

It definately wins the prize for innovation and never before seen use of procedural content creaton.  Beer!  Beer!  Beer!  Tired

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2008, 06:37:15 PM »

Also, the shield needs to animate somehow, just a purple blob looks unpolished on this awesome game Lips Sealed

haha, spot the only bit of artistic input I had :D

ahahah Ill get right on that (:
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2008, 08:24:01 PM »

No foreground elements. Period.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
monoRAIL
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2008, 11:22:03 PM »

Great game. Wiping out a screenfull of red guys with level 4 firepower is really satisfying!

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2008, 05:05:07 AM »

Great game, wins the prize for entertainment value  Beer!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
rgcd.co.uk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: June 18, 2008, 01:45:09 PM »

Hey Terry,

I love this game - I was sparing with my votes, but this got one of them!

In the final version I'd love to see:

* The title screen music looped (at the mo' dubmood's track just ends and thats your lot).
* The ability to play offline (my laptop is not always connected to the net and Self Destruct just crashes without interweb access).
* Basic Joypad controls.

Apart from that, it's the perfect coffee break shooter Smiley
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2008, 02:04:35 PM »

Thank you!

Heavy, all three are tabled for the final version once the contest is over - I'm also hoping to add screen recording (it's already implemented, actually) and a new highscore table with support for Japanese letters and the ability to download and watch a replay of a highscoring game. And a few other little graphical things Tongue

jbrodack2008
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2008, 08:05:46 PM »

I love shmups yet wish more would have a random element.  Though nothing against shmups that can rely on memorization I really prefer being "in the zone" and reflexes being the most important part of doing well at a shmup.  So given that I love this game.  Quick and simple yet extremely addictive. 
Zwergesel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2008, 10:00:54 PM »

The game won't start!
I get a "Network failure Cry" when I try to launch it. I guess it's because it's trying to download the highscores but can't connect! I'm behind a proxy!
zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2008, 11:10:44 AM »

Very nice job!  A bit too frantic for my personal tastes, but a nice old-school top-down shooter none-the-less!
Cheers!
--Zack
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2008, 03:03:30 PM »

This game is incredibly fun and super stylish.

I applaud thee.
2-way-constructor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2008, 10:48:47 AM »

Yeah I liked this one too, especially its dynamic. But I agree with Zwergesel,  the "Network failure" thing is quite annoying and I think it's somehow possible to make this high score posting not obligatory. Maybe I want to play when I am not connected to the Internet
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 10:54:51 AM by 2-way-constructor » Logged
increpare
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2008, 02:50:13 AM »

I finally, finally got around to playing it. Record is seventy-something.  It's so very, very solid dude. Smiley
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2008, 05:28:05 AM »

I've been playing a lot lately. My highscore is 186/15,546,425. Love it. Kiss

Could you implement adjustable controls and a pause key in the next version?

Ah, also, the player's "hitbox" seems a little bigger than it should be. I think it's the same size when the shield is off and when it's on. Is that intended?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 05:49:54 AM by Kao » Logged
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2008, 07:12:17 AM »

Pause is or wussies Tongue

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2008, 02:21:35 PM »

Thanks Smiley Final version should be out very, very soon - probably this weekend, in fact. I was away for a little while and got caught up with a different project when I got back D:

Ah, also, the player's "hitbox" seems a little bigger than it should be. I think it's the same size when the shield is off and when it's on. Is that intended?

You're right, I think I should have made the hitbox smaller originally, but I think it's too late to change anything that would throw off the balance of the game at this point. Oh well - live and learn Sad I think the blue bullets should have been absorbed ever so slightly if you're using the shield too, but again, it's too late for changes like that Tongue

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2008, 09:18:13 AM »

probably this weekend, in fact.

Or, you know, some other, very similar weekend.

Some good news - I got Dubmood's permission to use those two songs in the game. Yey! Turns out he's gone into the big leagues under the name Data Airlines - when I emailed him, I actually got a reply from his manager telling me to go ahead and use the songs.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2009, 05:53:20 AM »

I've been meaning to update this for ages... and I still haven't gotten around to it Sad However! I made a little offline version of the game, so you no longer have to be connected to the internet to play it!

Here it is! Also, I've wiped the highscore table - so if you want to claim a spot, now's pretty much the best time to do it Smiley

I'm still planning on a real update sometime soon, whenever things slow down.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2009, 05:58:19 AM »

AWESOME!

This fixes my main gripe with this awesome, awesome game.

Now I can finally play this on my train trips!  WizardHand Thumbs Up Right
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic