Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:55:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationSelf Destruct [Finished]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Self Destruct [Finished]  (Read 76865 times)
Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2008, 05:00:33 PM »

So sharp@!i'm loving it !:insert McD smillie:
No crash except me dying  everytime :D
Just got to wave 30..

Available for Freelance
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2008, 05:06:17 PM »

Still crashes. Sad I'll try it out a bit more and see if there's anything I always do for it to crash, but it's hard to be aware of that since the game's so fast-paced and you need to 'zone-out' in order to get far in it.

Damnit - sorry Sad Thought I had it Sad

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2008, 05:09:11 PM »

Still crashes. Sad I'll try it out a bit more and see if there's anything I always do for it to crash, but it's hard to be aware of that since the game's so fast-paced and you need to 'zone-out' in order to get far in it.

Damnit - sorry Sad Thought I had it Sad

It only happened once so far, which is more than I could say for the last version. I actually got past wave 100 and saw some more ships.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2008, 05:14:32 PM »

Well, that's progress, at least :D

Afraid I'm going to have to leave this until tomorrow Sad I can't reproduce the crash on my machine, I'm afraid, so it's difficult for me to track it down...

[edit] I just played to wave 188 and didn't see any crashes, but I just had a thought: maybe since I just replaced the old file, your browser has cached it and you've just downloaded the old version? Might be worth clearing your caches and trying again Smiley

Thanks for trying all the versions, by the way Smiley
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 05:21:15 PM by Terry » Logged

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »

I'll try that.

it would also probably be helpful if you named the zip files with different version numbers, in order to clear confusion. It's the problem I had with my entry. Tongue
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 05:32:31 PM by Melly » Logged

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2008, 05:32:18 PM »

Thanks, I appreciate it Smiley

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2008, 05:38:33 PM »

Crash Sad

Exact moment. I think I was shooting that green ship with my shield on as I was feeding on its bullets a moment before, and bang.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2008, 05:51:26 PM »

Cry

Alright so, I'll see what I can do about this tomorrow morning.

You're dead right about the version numbers too - I've uploaded the most recent version here for now.

MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2008, 06:04:05 PM »

You get NUKES??

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2008, 09:04:02 PM »

Wow this is pretty awesome now that I know how to play.  Addicting, for sure.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2008, 11:34:42 PM »

Terry, one thing that might help you is what Alec did with me when I was having trouble with the Aquaria demo. He sent me a version of the demo with a small difference, which was that it wrote on a text file all the steps the program took, and when the lock-up I was experiencing happened I closed the game and the last line of the file basically said which code was being run when the lock-up happened. Think you could do this?

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2008, 01:04:43 AM »

Whew, great job, Terry and Annabelle!  I got 11th place (okay, just played again and took 4th Wink), which I'm pretty satisfied with.  It did crash on me twice in the process, though. Embarrassed

What's Good! Graphics are very good, natch!  Top notch pixel work, and the muted palette feels pretty unique for a shoot 'em up.  And I really like the fast-paced gameplay.  It's definitely addictive, like xerus said, what with the high scores and all. So yeah, great job, especially for a such a short dev time!

Possible Improvements? Man, there's a lot of little text on the title screen!  Wouldn't be a bad idea to put those on different screens and tie them together with a simple menu.  I feel like it'd also be nice if the power-ups were more easily distinguished in-game (either by color or by shape) and if there was a "key" somewhere that described what each one did.

Question: Can you beat all 250 waves, Terry???
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 01:06:56 AM by Derek » Logged
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2008, 01:08:58 AM »

Yeah, I wonder if it's beatable myself  Shocked

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2008, 02:19:01 AM »

Very nice! Now this is a great shooter. I love stuff like this. Great job!

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2008, 06:32:38 AM »

Thanks all Smiley

Melly: I think that's going to be my next course of action, but it's a bit of a pain to set all that up Sad Hopefully I can figure out where the problem is before it comes to that...

Whew, great job, Terry and Annabelle!  I got 11th place (okay, just played again and took 4th Wink), which I'm pretty satisfied with.  It did crash on me twice in the process, though. Embarrassed

What's Good! Graphics are very good, natch!  Top notch pixel work, and the muted palette feels pretty unique for a shoot 'em up.  And I really like the fast-paced gameplay.  It's definitely addictive, like xerus said, what with the high scores and all. So yeah, great job, especially for a such a short dev time!

Thank you! Smiley

Those terrible crash bugs will be dealt with today! I'm so annoyed about it Angry

Possible Improvements? Man, there's a lot of little text on the title screen!  Wouldn't be a bad idea to put those on different screens and tie them together with a simple menu.  I feel like it'd also be nice if the power-ups were more easily distinguished in-game (either by color or by shape) and if there was a "key" somewhere that described what each one did.

That all sounds good (and shouldn't take more than a minute or two to fix) - I'll add a few pages to the menu screen to explain the game a bit better and I'll set the powerups to glow a little in game, which should hopefully make them stand out a bit more.

Question: Can you beat all 250 waves, Terry???

I certainly can! I was a little worried that my original score of about 2 mil was putting people off, so I deleted it from that table - but it's got me worried that nobody else has finished it yet (since beating all 250 waves should net you score in or around that) Cry I *think* I've got the difficulty about right now, but it's sort of a hard thing to judge...

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2008, 11:18:35 AM »

I'm fairly sure it's not the difficulty anymore that's the issue. Tongue But I'm sure you'll get it fixed. Maybe you should find another computer around you and play on it to see if it crashes there, and so you'd have a better way to test your fixes. Though I'll keep playing new versions for ya.

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2008, 12:11:46 PM »

Goodness, this game is intense.  I love it.
nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2008, 12:13:37 PM »

I had a couple of goes with the game. It plays great! Really good feel to it and difficulty is just right. Graphics and sound are top notch Smiley

It crashes frequently on me too. About every 3-5 starts it goes down. V2 you've uploaded recently seems to be more stable but I've still got a few crashes. Didn't played it for too long though.

I couldn't really pinpoint anything particular that triggers the crash. Seems completely random. Except that it tends to crash more the more I'm in The Zone. I suspect it developed mind of its own, trying to prevent me to reach the top of the score table. Pure evil Cry
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2008, 12:32:50 PM »

Thanks!

Sorry again about the crashes - Melly's helping me debug it and I think I've found the root of the problem, so it shouldn't be much longer before I upload a final version Smiley

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2008, 01:15:38 PM »

We will find it, oh yes we will.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic