Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:40:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingKing Arthur's Gold - A 2D Multiplayer-only Free Buildy-Fighty Game
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: King Arthur's Gold - A 2D Multiplayer-only Free Buildy-Fighty Game  (Read 54704 times)
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2011, 02:13:11 PM »

so the only use wood has is for ladders and arrows?
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2011, 02:14:33 PM »

Just watched the trailer.
I've never seen so many "ripoff" comments in one place. One guy even said you'll be sued. For using a similar gameplay concept. Seriously, something ought to be done about this.
poe
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2011, 04:50:03 PM »

so the only use wood has is for ladders and arrows?

I believe doors too(I think they require iron and wood)
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2011, 09:40:17 PM »

Just watched the trailer.
I've never seen so many "ripoff" comments in one place. One guy even said you'll be sued. For using a similar gameplay concept. Seriously, something ought to be done about this.
Hahah, yeah. Haters gonna hate, all that. Like notch is going to try to sue someone for making a game. Especially now that he bathes in cash.

The only two resources in the game at the moment are wood and stone (not iron). Both are needed for doors, stone is used for the majority of castle building and wood is used for arrows (and soon, catapults - though I'll get into that later, and probably wooden structures).

The resources something costs is displayed alongside your resource count, red and flashing means "YOU DONT HAVE ENOUGH OF THIS"
so any news on a survival mode?
or is adding one to this game too soon?
To soon, I think. We're aiming for more game-y stuff than sandbox gameplay as there are enough sandboxes out there at the moment.

Who's Jeb? Should I know him? My internet's on the blink so his twitter isn't loading, but i guess any publicity is a good thing at this point - be nicer if the masterserver was up though.

You can follow the masterserver's fix status on the blog. If anyone wants to host you could also post your server link (in IP.NUM.BE.RS:PORT format, no kag:// protocol yet Tongue) and people might see it.

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2011, 12:27:44 AM »

We've had the game compared to terraria, minecraft, soldat, and maplestory, hahah.

Actually, after having played it, I must say that it is to Ace of Spades, what Terraria is to Minecraft. If that makes any sense to you ^^;
Anyway, great game! Hand Thumbs Up Right
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2011, 12:51:52 AM »

We've had the game compared to terraria, minecraft, soldat, and maplestory, hahah.

Clonk! Liero! Cortex Command!

Though I must say that this game shows the most potential right now, based on what I'm looking for in a game like this. Keep the good work up!

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2011, 03:55:31 AM »

Though I must say that this game shows the most potential right now, based on what I'm looking for in a game like this. Keep the good work up!
With the rise of Sandbox(Sandcastle) games I wonder if someone going to make a (2d?)parody fighting game where you play as your favorite terrain sculpting characters in a match of who could maintain their sandcastle longer.

KAg feels more like a medieval Masjin given the need for ores.

well hopefully we get a doctor class to fix the heal issue.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 05:57:24 AM by Rumrusher » Logged
poe
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2011, 12:21:35 PM »

Jeb helps make Minecraft, he is responsible for implementing wolves Smiley
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2011, 07:23:08 PM »

I'm looking into the possibility of medicine, though considering the medieval setting eating some food might make more sense than getting various limbs amputated. Maybe leeches can give you health back too.

Excellent to hear, Dacke! That's certainly the plan Smiley

Jeb helps make Minecraft, he is responsible for implementing wolves Smiley
Huh. Shows how much I follow Minecraft development Droop I couldn't find the tweet in question though :/

Ramble inbound. (Posted on DRLFF a day ago)

I think that the fairly fundamental changes to the knight introduced by the bomb will be toned back to a very comfortable level with the advent of user funds, a system we've been pondering. My take on the system is that players will get a set percentage of any gold delivered or looted converted into personal funds to spend on more complicated items (like bombs and furniture and mechanism parts and other things that might bestow power-ups upon the carrier. The rest of the gold brought back (the taxed proportion) would get converted to team wealth that would be stored as usual.

A teams total worth then, would be calculated from all its participants property, as well as its stored gold. This would lead to far more complex looting, with people literally stripping the enemy's castle bare. I think that's much more fun.

However, this system requires an inventory. I'm not sure whether everything should go into the inventory (including stacks of resources) or if it should just be item stacks. Regardless, I think it would be cool to have different numbers of inventory slots per class. 1 or 2 for the two combat classes and maybe 5 for the workers. Workers could then carry a variety of mechanism parts and tiles into battle, or go and fetch a large number of resources.

There would be Class specific items of course, bombs for knights being one of them, maybe fire arrows for archers.

The reason such a system hasn't been implemented already is that its a lot of work. We have to discuss whether that kind of thing is in the spirit of the game we want to male, too. Still, feedback would be great.

Oh yeah, also, building mechanisms out of parts, good idea? It'd work more or less like infinite-sized-crafting-grid in minecraft where you'd probably need to get blueprints for very large machines (I want a trebuchet) and everything is made of the same 3-4 mechanism parts (+ special parts, like boiling oil baths or magic contrail crystals). I think it would be a very powerful system but I'd love thoughts on that too.

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2011, 08:26:20 AM »

mechanism yes so we can make large moving mechs to battle each other.
though making people only hold so much call signs of lead to theft of personal belongings not only that the items on the person disappear if they died and no one loots them. maybe have a chest that pops up  after the corpse despawns so no one on either side is jipped out of resources if one person mine out all the stone and died somewhere.
poe
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2011, 11:22:43 AM »

I like the idea of mechanics, and an inventory. If you add mechanical parts, maybe a single player "test room" mode so you can experiment and create blueprints?
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2011, 05:06:10 AM »

Some funny (and not so funny) screenshots Smiley

New build coming very soon - has catapults and likely bridges, as well as a lot of new graphics.

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2011, 05:42:08 AM »

Man I remember the time I sealed the entire red team in blocks while no one was on.
I wonder if any one join into seeing that? Who, Me?. mechanisms for bridges and screw pumps would be sweet. shoot I haven't seen a 2d game do something like this(DF doesn't count.).
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2011, 06:07:55 AM »

Then you should have a look at Clonk. It has mining, building, bridges, pumps, balloons, explosives, sharks, factories, furnaces and wind turbines (that power things), wood chopping, castles, trains, elevators and all kinds of other stuff.

The problems with Clonk include the difficult controls/platforming, the bad fighting mode (I only like to build in it), getting stuck on pixels of terrain, the lack of a good respawn system and a few other things.

Development of the original game series has been moved to an open source project called Open Clonk, but they have yet to deliver anything substantial.

The main reason I'm exited about King Arthur's gold is that it feels like a fresh take on the Clonk genre. While Clonk accomplished many wonderful things, it never reached it's full potential. So new games in the same vein speak of new hope to the nerdy little miner that lives inside me.

A Clonk game played by battlerager, MisterX, BlademasterBobo and ElShamro in 2008.

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2011, 11:20:49 AM »

I should look at Clonk but what you said seems like I'm getting a better deal waiting for that stuff to be added in this game and mentally name this game ClonKing Arthur's Gold.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 04:11:57 PM by Rumrusher » Logged
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2011, 11:54:46 AM »

Hehe, nice new name Grin

You should definitely give Clonk a spin. It can be a bit frustrating, but it is also tons and tons of fun. It is one of my favourite games of all time. (Which is why I'm so thrilled about all these Clonk-like games popping up. Especially King Arthur's gold, which looks extremely promising.)

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2011, 10:40:40 PM »

Biggest release so far!

Maps generation has been reimplemented more or less from scratch, leading to better random generation (though there's more that we'd like to explore)
        The game now ends as victory for one of the teams.
        New buildable offensive weapon - CATAPULT
        Lots of new graphics and bug fixes.

Please read the change log below for a detailed list of the changes.

To use the catapult you will first need to build it. It needs 12 blocks built in a 4x3 rectangle. Then you need to supply it with rocks ([E] key). Hold [E] key and then release to fire. The longer you hold the farther it throws.
Use with caution!

Here's a sample of a new, generated map:

Changes 32-39:

- game rules changed
     * victory condition: mine or collect 20% of the maps gold
     * stash gold in sacks
     * 3 sacks available on start
     * steal sacks and bring them to your tent for score

- new map generation code
     * possible mountains and holes
     * caves
     * stone and gold are more likely to appear around caves and mountains
     * gold appears more as gold veins
     * trees don't grow on tent
- added catapult
- new sack graphics
- new bomb & explosion graphics
- new emoticon bubble graphics
- tent does not fall down
- sack gold amount displayed on mouse hover
- player HUD is not visible now when score board is active
- increased knight radius of attack
- new castle back build sound
- tent hit pixels changed to black
- fixed invisible map bug
- can't loot bombs from self & team players
- fixed knight not dying when bomb explodes in hand
- typing bubble appears when typing chat or in menu
- gold sacks & tent are drawn on minimap
- new stone tiles graphics
- added map generator config file ("Base/Scripts/generator.cfg")
- when not enough resources build tile blinks on HUD
- on reload map, old map saved to "Maps/previous.png"
- particle die time randomized

Changes 39-40:

- catapult can change rotate according to thrower
- improved arrow collisions (from circle to line)
- default score limit is 20% of gold available on map
- fixed crash on precache (loading controls)
- fixed player dangling on server after kick
- fixed bow sound not stopping after death
- fixed catapult facing wrong direction for red team
- fixed knight shield
- fixed gold on map wrongly calculated
- fixed player sprite not updating when dead
- return of the ladder bubble
- mouse aim is farther (to match zoom out view)

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2011, 12:33:02 AM »

One suggestion, I think you should make the default install folder "C:\Program Files\KAG" instead of "C:\KAG."
The problem there is that updating the game becomes a massive pain (you need admin rights) and windows folder virtualisation then eats anything manual changes not done with admin rights - making maps quickly becomes a pain. This is the same reason installing Cortex Command to "C:\Program Files\Data Realms\Cortex Command" is a bad idea - mods don't apply all the time, some of your changes don't apply to the game and it's generally a PITA. I understand the issue with cluttering up C:\ so maybe we should install to "C:\Games\KAG" by default? We'll see, it's a valid point.

Hope you enjoy tonight - hopefully there are enough people online for you to have a game that isn't just "protect my buildings from late night griefing"

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2011, 01:40:28 PM »

"[440] Connection to master server failed."
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2011, 02:42:20 PM »

Yep, I'm still getting the same error as Derek. Have been for a week. It never gets past "Authenticating...". I can play on servers if I directly connect to them, but that's it. It's too bad, what little I've played seemed fun.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic