Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 01:39:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingKing Arthur's Gold - A 2D Multiplayer-only Free Buildy-Fighty Game
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: King Arthur's Gold - A 2D Multiplayer-only Free Buildy-Fighty Game  (Read 54823 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2011, 02:53:13 PM »

It ended up working for me! Dunno why, though. I just kept trying until the master server let me in.

Great fun once I connected. Smiley
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2011, 01:22:25 AM »

WE NEED YOUR COLLECTIVE RECORDING POWER! ANYONE WITH A HULKING CPU/GPU COMBO WANTING TO SHOW YOUR METTLE NOW IS THE TIME!

PM me with any video upload links, preferably not youtubed but dropboxed or min.us'd filesmelted or whatever the cool cats are using.

We got a lot of traffic from reddit over the last few days, which has been interesting, >1k downloads in a day, woot! Apparently 16v16 is a lot of fun, and it's brought out some quirky bugs sooner than expected so we can stomp them.

The masterserver issues would've been due to issues with all the traffic, most likely, I think it can only take so many connections at a time. We'll look into a more static solution (like an hourly updated text cache of the active servers or something) soon to get around the issue for people that just can't connect to the masterserver for once reason or another (like poor TLB).

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2011, 05:00:03 AM »

Man this game starting to slip out of your cracks Geti because bay12 members got their hands on it.
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2011, 07:07:23 AM »

Awesome, Geti, glad to hear you're working on it. Looking forward to joining in on one of those 16v16 matches.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2011, 04:14:58 PM »

WE GOT FEATURED ON PCGAMER.COM AND INDIEGAMES.COM My Word!

So there's a crazy amount of traffic at the moment, like 28 people in the official euro server or something.

Also, I think we've fixed the idiot masterserver issue, for now. Blog about why, though some people still have trouble I just tested it and didn't get stuck, so more testing would clarify.

Man this game starting to slip out of your cracks Geti because bay12 members got their hands on it.
Huh. Decent.

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2011, 04:18:49 PM »

you might want to add back the ability to make sacks. You could 'ruin a game' by carrying the teams bag out of the fort and giving it to the enemy.
also we need more announcement of this being a clonk clone.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2011, 04:39:15 PM »

Oh god so many "This is a clone" posts Droop

FRONT PAGE OF TIGS WOOOOO Corny Laugh

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2011, 01:51:27 AM »

This is not a clone of anything (and claiming that it is would be pretty absurd). I'm sorry if it sounded like I was saying something like that. This is a another game in a fantastic genre, that has existed for a long time. Where this game is one of the latest, hippest and most interesting in the genre.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Dragonmaw
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2011, 03:53:43 AM »

The only issue I have so far is with the finicky platforming. It doesn't help that sometimes the server lags and you find yourself at the bottom of a tiny shaft which you should not be able to fall down because it is one block wide.

Also, greater differences between the wood and stone blocks in your inventory would definitely be nice. Same for being able to drop items.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2011, 06:22:54 AM »

The only issue I have so far is with the finicky platforming. It doesn't help that sometimes the server lags and you find yourself at the bottom of a tiny shaft which you should not be able to fall down because it is one block wide.

Also, greater differences between the wood and stone blocks in your inventory would definitely be nice. Same for being able to drop items.
really? I haven't got issues with the lag.
though the platforming is wonked, the game some how allow people to jump 2 1/2 so latching on to ladders get tricky. through it's not a huge deal of annoyance and adds charm to the game.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:00:02 AM by Rumrusher » Logged
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2011, 04:14:09 PM »

OSX build will come later, perhaps.

Hope to see a Mac version!

It looks very charming from the small screenshots.

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2011, 05:25:48 PM »

Someone should put an official Tigs server up, since this seems like it'd be more fun with friends.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2011, 05:35:54 PM »

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was saying something like that.
No, not directed at you, more at youtube and the TIGSource front page and anywhere anyone has played terraria or minecraft or whatever. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

Hope to see a Mac version!
We do too! It'd be nice if packaging an application was less of a pain on OSX but we'd certainly like to make full use of the portable libraries we've used!

The difference in the inventory items is coming next release, so I'm glad we're nipping it in the bud. The platforming is something that we'll have to work on making more intuitive, and the physics more stable - I've seen a few people fall through the ground every now and again.

A tigs server is a great idea Smiley I don't have the resources at the moment but hosting is more or less straightforward.

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2011, 03:42:29 PM »

If you see more then it's because we are using the ability to merge through the ground to escape certain death.
Or I'm surely doing that it's a fun exploit that saves time from digging two tile blocks all the time. So any crazy feature like flaming catapults/fire arrows going to be added to this game or fire physics? because KAW had it in there no reason that won't spark fan backlash not to.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 03:48:25 PM by Rumrusher » Logged
Dragonmaw
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2011, 04:18:30 PM »

I was playing on a server, and some guy switched to our team, took our sack of gold, and ran to his base before switching back. So I did the same and grabbed our sack of gold back. He called a ban vote on me for "griefing," and I got banned.

Classy, Reddit. Classy.
poe
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2011, 04:55:49 PM »

I was playing on a server, and some guy switched to our team, took our sack of gold, and ran to his base before switching back. So I did the same and grabbed our sack of gold back. He called a ban vote on me for "griefing," and I got banned.

Classy, Reddit. Classy.

As I have said on Get Satisfaction, hopefully this will happen less when username authentication servers arise, I added in a player rating system along with a server rating system, I need to add comments for both, but this way you can find out if someone does this notoriously, and so can the server masters Wink
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2011, 06:49:25 AM »

Classy, Reddit. Classy.
Hahah, yeah some of the players we're getting are frustratingly dense, but the player rating system (assuming that too doesn't get badly abused and we make it easy to use) should lift some of the idiocy - I imagine we'll add a server variable for minimum player rating allowed in.

Update today added new cursors, with the new archer one coming soon - and we'll fix the issue with them being massive due to scaling soon.

So any crazy feature like flaming catapults/fire arrows going to be added to this game or fire physics?
Potentially. We're keen for wooden structures and that sounds like the COOLEST COUNTER FOR THEM EVER.

We're also looking into a team fund system for gold hunt (the current gamemode), as well as an inventory system overhaul. We'll see how all of that turns out before adding fire physics and water and the like.

(I am so keen for water tower flooding systems and the like though, so expect some feature creep design-wise, heh)

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »

Really ace stuff! Makes me a tad envious because this is something I've been thinking of doing for a long, long time (grumble grumble  Hand Shake Left Angry)  Cheesy

Anyway, I'll be trying this out later today. Wouldn't it help for the team switching idiocy if a player could select his side only as he connects? It's a bit clumsy, but at least it'd inform everyone that the player has joined, and then selected team X, instead of doing that stealthily in-game.

EDIT: Seems like I placed that word 'idiocy' a bit stupidly. I meant idiocy from the players' part, not from the design!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 01:35:32 PM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2011, 11:19:16 AM »

Classy, Reddit. Classy.
Hahah, yeah some of the players we're getting are frustratingly dense, but the player rating system (assuming that too doesn't get badly abused and we make it easy to use) should lift some of the idiocy - I imagine we'll add a server variable for minimum player rating allowed in.

Update today added new cursors, with the new archer one coming soon - and we'll fix the issue with them being massive due to scaling soon.

So any crazy feature like flaming catapults/fire arrows going to be added to this game or fire physics?
Potentially. We're keen for wooden structures and that sounds like the COOLEST COUNTER FOR THEM EVER.

We're also looking into a team fund system for gold hunt (the current gamemode), as well as an inventory system overhaul. We'll see how all of that turns out before adding fire physics and water and the like.

(I am so keen for water tower flooding systems and the like though, so expect some feature creep design-wise, heh)
All these sounds like it could lead to FUN but from what I seen most people aren't normal followers of the "Losing is FUN" motto and will whine over the fact the pump to the water was broken into leading to a flooding of their base.
It too good to be true, also add in the ability to make sacks(need large amounts of gold to do this) incase all sacks were stolen by spies so one could counter the tactic.
Davioware
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2011, 06:36:39 PM »

Just wanted to mention that this game is absolutely amazing. I see so much potential.

I had a huge problem with a griefer today though. He kept stealing our gold sacks (for over an hour Lips Sealed) and it completely ruined the server. I think IP bans/better anti-grief should be looked into..I assume you probably are though! Smiley

I'd love if you would add more mineable resources strewn into the terrain. I thought of gunpowder tiles, being used with stone to craft carryable siege powder kegs (carryable only by builders.) which make a large explosion that could be used to kill/destroy a large area; like a big soldier bomb. perhaps you would have to build a torch to light it too, so it would be a two man operation to use it/would encourage teamwork.

Someone else already mentioned fire and water, it definitely would be cool.

I also thought of craftable, single use (they just float towards the enemy base then offscreen, perhaps slightly controllable) hot-air balloons , which could transport troops though the air for surprise aerial assaults.

Different types of catapult ammo would be cool too, explosive, incendiary, plague, etc.

Are you going to add fall damage to the game? at least make it an option. Sometimes players build huge skybridges and just jump off of them, which makes traversing large areas of tough terrain an easy task, which it shouldn't be. At least if they had to climb back down a ladder/tower it would open them up to arrows and other attacks. Right now it's too easy to just build into the sky and then jump. Adding fall damage would solve this and give builders a reason to build nicer/more realistic/more fun/ bridges, towers, and fortifications.

Holding off/Performing sieges already feels very medieval and exciting, props on that! You have a very special game on your hands. I love the emoticon bubbles too, and the way the characters point towards the mouse when you hold them down. Makes communication so fluid and natural. The way you can express yourself to enemies as you block their path as a soldier is priceless. I love it.

Also, If you need a music/sound guy, email me! I'd love to help if you need it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:05:53 PM by Davioware » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic