Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:26:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)NINTENDO DS: All Tigers Please Read!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: NINTENDO DS: All Tigers Please Read!  (Read 7037 times)
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2008, 11:35:37 PM »

(Maybe this should be moved to the Technical forum? but you saw it here first!)
I'm playing a lot of Indie games.. and wondering.. why am I not playing these on the DS?
I don't actually *have* a DS, but I might own one if I could play sweet Indie games on the train/bus, walking blindly.
So I'm wondering if there's a universal platform/converter (hence project posting, cuz if there's not there should be) to easily save an .exe and run it on a DS.
Is LINUX the only answer? Can we get something to work with Windows?
I am not operating system proficient.. but surely some of us here are?
Imagine playing Flail or Clean Asia on the DS.. and what about wireless multiplayer -- wireless Seal Hunter anyone?
My 2c. Can we build a sophisticated, stable, easy to use platform so Tigers and Manbabies (who haven't yet joined TiGSOURCE) across the world can play our glorious games in transit? An idea, for a new era..  Cool

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 05:05:41 AM »

No, to most of that stuff. Clean Asia is Game Maker, windows only. Seal Hunter is MMF2 and also windows only. You can port stuff written in C or C++ though, with devkitpro and devkitARM.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 07:14:00 AM »

The platformer engine I wrote can be very easily ported to the DS and I will try to do it as soon as i have some free time.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 08:23:44 AM »

Oh dude, if you do that, I will love you forever. And I will force myself to learn C.

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 05:04:40 PM »

Seconded.

olücæbelel
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 10:47:41 PM »

You don't even understand how bad I want to play Clean Asia on the DS lol..

That's funny you mentioned that because I was actually playing Clean Asia the other day and thought the same thing to myself :D

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 11:54:26 PM »

Is it strange that I don't like Clean Asia?

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 12:03:24 AM »

Very Shocked

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 12:28:41 AM »

Seriously. I think it's boring, haha. Might also be that the graphics get ridiculously ugly on my widescreen. And I don't like shmups.

MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 11:53:25 PM »

The first time I played Clean Asia I was stoned and it.. was.. an experience.
So.. anyone know if running Windows on the DS is possible? Or does it require way too much memory Sad

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Gnarf
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 05:01:57 AM »

I'd be very impressed if anyone got to the point where not enough memory was the real problem with that.

I don't think putting an OS on your DS is a solution to anything gaming-wise either way. I don't think it'd ever get to the point where stuff would "just work" on the DS, and I'd guess everything that could be achieved that way could be done easier by porting specific libraries and games instead. And it'd be more likely to play alright that way, what with not running on top of an OS.

Something framework-ish for making DS-portable games would be real neat though. I'm really not into DS homebrew stuff at all and I don't know what already exist, but, like, making DS games that will also run on PCs makes more sense to me than the other way around.
jcromartie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 06:19:16 AM »

The first time I played Clean Asia I was stoned and it.. was.. an experience.
So.. anyone know if running Windows on the DS is possible? Or does it require way too much memory Sad

Are you sure you're not still stoned?  :D

But seriously, while you can't expect the DS to run Windows (it might handle Windows 3.1), it wouldn't be a stretch to make an API that makes the differences between DS and PC transparent to the game developer.

Buttons and the stylus could all be mapped to keys and the mouse on the PC.  Simulating two screens (in 2D) is pretty trivial with SDL.  The DS is more suited to the special case of one 2D screen and one 3D screen than SDL is... so that part might be tricky (although I can think of a simple solution already, even if it's not optimal).
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 07:22:57 AM »

There's so many technical reasons why you couldn't run Windows on the DS, the first of which is probably the fact that Windows isn't built for the ARM9 (except for WinCE, I guess).

reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 10:17:17 AM »

http://www.1emulation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25633
There is that, which is kind of a solution, although it's probably slow. Also, you need to be near a WiFi hotspot. I suppose, though, that it is inching slowly towards the dream, like a little caterpillar looking for a good place to wrap itself into a comfortable cocoon, so that it may rest until it becomes a beautiful butterfly. Soon after it becomes a butterfly, though, it will be swallowed whole by a prairie dog. As the butterfly is dumped into the plague-ridden prairie dog's stomach, it will be slowly torn apart by the acids that lie within in a prairie dog's unholy innards. Eventually, the butterfly will be passed out of the prairie dog's body, and into a pool of water, where it shall lay until the next rainfall arrives. The rain will rush what is left of the butterfly down to the sewers. As the butterfly's remains float through the sewers, they will be slowly dissolved into nothingness, thus ending the tale of this butterfly.

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 10:33:02 AM »

I tried to like it but failed.  Mostly because it was so ridiculously hard, I think.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 12:11:47 PM »

http://www.1emulation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25633
There is that, which is kind of a solution, although it's probably slow. Also, you need to be near a WiFi hotspot. I suppose, though, that it is inching slowly towards the dream, like a little caterpillar looking for a good place to wrap itself into a comfortable cocoon, so that it may rest until it becomes a beautiful butterfly. Soon after it becomes a butterfly, though, it will be swallowed whole by a prairie dog. As the butterfly is dumped into the plague-ridden prairie dog's stomach, it will be slowly torn apart by the acids that lie within in a prairie dog's unholy innards. Eventually, the butterfly will be passed out of the prairie dog's body, and into a pool of water, where it shall lay until the next rainfall arrives. The rain will rush what is left of the butterfly down to the sewers. As the butterfly's remains float through the sewers, they will be slowly dissolved into nothingness, thus ending the tale of this butterfly.

I've tried it, and it's incredibly slow.

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 03:50:27 PM »

Something framework-ish for making DS-portable games would be real neat though. I'm really not into DS homebrew stuff at all and I don't know what already exist, but, like, making DS games that will also run on PCs makes more sense to me than the other way around.

You can use PAlib which is framework ish in the sense that it's not ARM programming.  I used that to make a couple of games for the DS it's fun and pretty easy.  There's already quite a few cool homebrew games out there for the DS and homebrew equipment isn't expensive either.

As to getting the DS to run .exe's as other people have said it might as well be impossible.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 04:19:12 PM »

Despite all the hype I haven't played it yet.
That's how indie I am.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 04:56:29 PM »

Clean Asia is kind-of-a bullet hell shmup with a weird aesthetic. It's okay not to like it if you're not into that kinda stuff.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 06:43:46 PM »

I didn't like Clean Asia at first either, so I deleted it. Some time later I decided to try again, but this time I played more with the Reflector. And I loved it! Kiss
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic