Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 07:50:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralLet's post links to interesting interfaces!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Let's post links to interesting interfaces!  (Read 11980 times)
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« on: April 15, 2007, 10:25:41 PM »

I cannot wait for table top interfaces / alternate interfaces to become mainstream. There's so many neat projects going on with them. It makes me want to get into one of these user iterface groups.

Here's the latest video I've seen which has made me extra excited.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4689008057039304357&hl=en
More info: http://mtg.upf.edu/reactable/?media

There's lots of other ones, like the smart whiteboard (which creates physics simulations as you draw), the entertable demo, the other one with that bloke who made a stretchy/zoomy interface and made it work in google maps. Let's link them here and be excited about them until someone comes along and says something like "That's all very well, but I hope you realize that table top interfaces make your winky shrivel, and every time you link to gootube, you're putting money in the pocket of an evil global dictatorship" and we can all say "Gosh you're right".

I have tonnes of game ideas which involve these weird interfaces (For those of you who have seen my secret game, I think you can guess what I'm thinking Smiley, and unlike the Wii, the abilities of the table top interfaces aren't too misleading.

The big difference between these table top interfaces and say, the DS screen, is the fact that they're bigger, and so enable (and recognize) multiple touches at once. Most of the previous touch screen stuff has only been able to detect one point being touched at a time, so you can't, for instance, leave your arse print in a DS screen (if there was a DS screen big enough to lay your arse on).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 01:40:36 AM by Bezzy » Logged

PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 12:10:30 AM »

Cool, but a practical composing tool?  Probably not.

Here's a cool one.  Physics based desktop.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Johan Peitz
Level 1

88 mph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 12:20:10 AM »

Here's a game we made at work: Wizard's Apprentice
It uses traditional board game interactions like rolling dice and moving about but has a computer that controls the underlying mechanics and a custum built board that can read the die and where the figurines are.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 05:56:21 PM »

That muzak thing looks groovy, B'zzay.
http://cs.nyu.edu/~jhan/ftirtouch/index.html

Zaphos
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 02:20:37 PM »

Takeo Igarashi does a lot of interesting interfaces work, like Teddy, a sketch-based interface for 3D modelling, or As Rigid As Possible Shape Manipulation for deforming/animating 2D shapes, or Voice as Sound for non-verbal voice control ...
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 12:33:24 PM »

That voice as sound stuff is hilarious. :D

I was thinking about use something like that for our game... so you shout into a mic for more force when you attack, like those harmonic weapons in dune.

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 01:38:04 PM »

For some reason I really enjoy the concept of controlling a video game using your voice.

How about a game which you control by singing? I mean, not a game about singing, per se, but a game where, for example, abilities are accessed by humming short phrases?

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 01:43:53 PM »

rofl.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 01:48:49 PM »

For some reason I really enjoy the concept of controlling a video game using your voice.

How about a game which you control by singing? I mean, not a game about singing, per se, but a game where, for example, abilities are accessed by humming short phrases?

There was a game at IGF that let you control a car via a microphone by making racing car sounds:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7458010617518035494

Definitely a fun idea, but it's hard as hell to play for more than a a minute or two.  Would work well as a WarioWare minigame, I feel.
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 01:52:56 PM »

I really want to play a game in which I can discover if my name is a Killing Word or not.

EDIT: I hate one liners, so

!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 01:55:38 PM by fartron » Logged

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 08:13:19 AM »

Isn't something like Teddy used in Graffiti Kingdom/Magic Pengel?

Also, what about the Atari Mindlink.

I read about something that went even further and featured a game of pong operated by actual brainwaves.  It was absurdly hard to use but supposedly if you really concentrated you would maintain a minor level of control over the paddle.
kronholm
Level 0

BlitzMax user

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 12:13:36 PM »

Not really an interface, but I find it very interesting:

This is also pretty cool, mixed reality interface:

Cheers, Dan 'pezz' Kronholm.
Zaphos
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 12:38:44 PM »

Oh, there are also audience participation interfaces, where you try to give everyone in a large audience some part in a game ...

EDIT: Also You're in control ... using a urinal as a game interface.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 12:50:55 PM by Zaphos » Logged
GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 08:32:46 PM »

Some interesting ideas from the Indie Game Jam in 2003.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 10:16:19 PM »

http://tmg-video.media.mit.edu/actuatedworkbench/actuatedworkbench_352x240.mpg
Not sure if this could be an interface, but...
I'm just imagining the possibilities of playing some massive tabletop real time strategy, or a game of chess with someone across the sea and having their pieces move in real space. Or just a board game where you never have to touch the board or its pieces.

DanDanger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 08:14:47 AM »

How about a round windows system, preferabley displayed on a round monitor!

I created such a setup in my game, you can resize windows, read text files and change the background gfx, all within round windows!

http://www.lwjgl.org/_gfx/projects/keith_goes_painting_2.jpg

FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 06:56:33 AM »

Ok, a bit of snark in posting this, but I'm a fan of minimalist interfaces, and I'm curious how far they can be taken.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 02:35:34 AM »

How about a round windows system, preferabley displayed on a round monitor!

I created such a setup in my game, you can resize windows, read text files and change the background gfx, all within round windows!

http://www.lwjgl.org/_gfx/projects/keith_goes_painting_2.jpg

Oh that's cool. Why use square boxes for text though? And squares for the swatches (I guess circles don't really tile, but still)? Yeah, we could go somewhere with this.

Myself, I want my GUI to be properly scalable. So instead of scrolling windows up and down, you zoom out and then zoom in again. Like Supreme Commander, or Google maps.

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 06:42:07 AM »

Oh, speaking of Zooming Interfaces:

Dasher

Lots of fun.

I'm modelling our menu on it, but it's been really hard to do.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 06:45:53 AM by Bezzy » Logged

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 09:56:35 AM »

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/09/microsoft-pranks-with-ofone-apple-rolls-eyes/

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic