Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 12:55:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPhyta
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Phyta  (Read 3266 times)
Daspl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 04, 2008, 05:50:34 PM »

I made this game (though it just barely qualifies as such, I think)

You guide the growth of a plant. There are things you can catch to make yourself stronger but you don't really have to. There's a windows and a linux version. Check it out Smiley
http://www.cambriangames.com/current.html
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 06:07:54 PM »

First things first, you should introduce yourself to us here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.0

Second, this game's fucking gorgeous. I really like the feel it has, though I stopped playing after "3", when those flying things that could eat through my vines popped up. Trapping them was just too difficult and tedious.

Either way, it's an impressive effort.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Daspl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 06:15:13 PM »

My apologies
I was looking around at some of the other things in this forum (especially that procedural comp) and I was really impressed so I wanted to show something I did
thanks for the heads up
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 06:21:31 PM »

No probs. Smiley

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 04:43:56 AM »

Gweem. Delightful. An excellent plant, you have made. Sometimes there were pretty things flying around, and they got caught. And that was sad. But then a new one came,  so We guess thatt's ok.

It's kind of an interactive sculpture, I guess? But wonderful enough to keep me playing for quite some time, just watching and listening. It feels rather natural and sinuous. The music's very nice, also! Who is it by?
Kekskiller
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 05:41:21 AM »

Wow. One the most surprising I've ever seen on TIGS! Beautiful color scheme, excellent pleasant music (love that bg string) and an abstract brutal way to let your plant grow more and more... Great! It's really an interesting idea to control this black monster of a tendril while killing cute golden butterflies...

I hope your Little Fish demo will be great, too Grin !

*loving it* Kiss
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 07:19:42 AM »

Ohh! I had an idea like this, when I was thinking of fun to have with beziers! I'm an idiot for not following through because this looks really nice.

Awesome stuff!

When I "capture" the angels in my branches, it makes the branches split, right? I think I did it too much, because each of the branches died and sprouted too quickly again, so I couldn't keep capturing.maybe I missed the point, though?

Erik Svedäng
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 09:55:10 AM »

Beautiful!

Latest news about my games: www.eriksvedang.com
Daspl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 12:04:42 PM »

Thanks for the compliments guys!
One thing that I probably should've dealt with is that it's actually much harder to catch all the flying things on a higher resolution screen. I decided not to deal with this because I like the look of it more that way. Tongue
dcalogue
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 01:48:37 PM »

Beautiful design, Im downloading it right now

Loved the style, damn, I have been wanting to do something with strokes for ages...
Great mechanics, best thing I have seen here in a long time.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 02:09:09 PM by dcalogue » Logged
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 05:17:34 AM »

Wow this is a fantastic idea! Grin

The style is really inspired, and i like very much how the plant moves.
Maybe it can get a bit monotonous after the third level, but considering the gameplay it's good!

PS: what i'm supposed to do to advance level, when i must trap the long-tailed things? Huh?

alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 01:56:04 PM »

Wow!  This game was really amazing!  I played through it to get to the last flying object and defeating it didn't make my cursor any larger.

In any case, nice game.  The graphics were very smooth and remind me of something that can go on PSN to be used with the EyeToy. 
Gregory
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 06:32:07 PM »

This game's really good.  It's gorgeous, and it makes me feel bad.  The music, the graphics, and the gameplay all tie together very well.  It felt a bit hard; I had so little control over the plant that in some parts, especially against the creatures that can "burn through" the vine, I just held down the mouse button and waited for the vines to randomly entangle the creature enough that I could start forcing it downward.  That frustration and those long waiting periods probably enhanced the experience, though; they strengthened my feelings of discomfort and futility.  And that plant's malevolent enough that it might give me nightmares.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is a good game, and a pretty game, but not a fun game.  Which is just fine by me.

I rambled on in more detail in a post about the game at my website.  Looking forward to "Little Fish!"
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic