Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 04:11:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Ninja (working title!)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project Ninja (working title!)  (Read 1148 times)
Moczan
« on: May 24, 2011, 11:07:56 AM »

Project Ninja
(working title)

Intro:
Hi  Tiger s! I've been lurking TIGsource for some time now, but I haven't posted much yet. I'm young programmer with little experience in game development. I've made some prototypes for fun in the past, one turn-based multiplayer strategy game (made in PHP as a school project), but other than that I didn't release anything (yet!).

Project Ninja (can't come up with better name during prototype phase) will be my first game that I hope to finish and release. The game will be made in Flash, using my custom AS3 framework. Depending on the look of the final product I may pursue the sponsorship to get some money for my work, but it's not my priority at the moment. My objective is to release fun, little game and gain some experience in game design during the development.

Game:
My main inspiration for the game was Meat Boy series. I plan to make a quick platformer that requires some dexterity and good reflexes from the player. Levels will be short and fast-paced, with some really hardcore stuff towards the end.

The core gameplay resolves around quick, difficult platformer sequences and fighting against clock. The faster and more accurate you are, the better your score will be. There won't be a lot of fighting, because ninja are stealthy assassins, not warriors or soldiers.
The game will have some kin of collectibles that will reward player for taking risk, rising his/her score and unlocking some additional items.

The game will have different, unlockable skins for main character. From simple recolors, to some really wicked stuff. Everyone loves customization and unlockables so it's a win-win situation.

I want to keep it rather simple, to avoid future creep. I will share my prototypes, as I develop them, with community to gather feedback and improve the game.

Art direction:
I choose the ninja theme because it's a popular one and it's easily associated with a character that can move swiftly. While it's a bit overused and cliche, I don't want to experiment too much, at least not during the first game.

The guy up there is the main character. It's still programmer's art placeholder, but I needed something better than colored square to start prototyping.

More stuff will be coming as soon as I start working on it. Wish me best luck!

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 02:48:40 PM »

You seem to have this pretty planned out, and the art is nice! Best of luck, and I can't wait to see more.
Moczan
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 02:45:37 AM »

I haven't posted here in a while, because I was mostly tackling technical problems, rewriting some parts of my framework etc. so there are no eye-candies or playable prototypes that I wouldn't be ashamed to post yet, but I hope I will get to that stage soon enough.

What I have done so far:

Rendering:
  • Fast bitmap blitting with simple scaling and rotation
  • Optimized tilemap rendering
  • Layer system, with different layer types for specific purpose (tilemap, background, particles etc.)
  • Parallax scrolling, with different speed for scrolling along x and y axis
Actual engine:
  • Simple, tile-based collision detection (only squares at the moment, will work on slopes later)
  • Character movement:
    • Walking and running
    • Jump
    • Double Jump
    • Dynamic wind and gravity

I still need to implement wall jumping, simple attack for the main character and improve tile collision detection to support slopes. Those are my plans for core engine, when I've done that I will be able to start working on level designs and graphics for it!
    Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic