Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411840 Posts in 69419 Topics- by 58464 Members - Latest Member: Riya21

May 31, 2024, 06:35:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGames that deserve improved remakes
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Games that deserve improved remakes  (Read 11031 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2008, 01:55:26 PM »

Sometimes you remember an older game fondly because you had a blast playing it all that time ago, but when picking it up again now that you're more mature and maybe spoiled by better games you can see all its many flaws and how it could have been much better.

I'd like to talk about games that people feel could use with a remake that improves on any flaws the original game had and build upon its inate potential. This is more than a remake with a graphical upgrade, it's about improving any aspect of the game. I'd also like to focus on games whose series don't seem to exist anymore and so never got a chance for improvement.

One game I'd like to talk about is Terranigma for the SNES, or Illusions of Gaia 2, as I believe it was also called.

Terranigma was a Zelda/Mana-esque game, with real time combat, town and dungeon exploration, and a fairly epic storyline for its time. It was an Enix game before they fused with Square into the multiheaded beast it is now.

The game had a fairly unique setting as it played with the concept of a fantasy game taking place in the real world, and so in some aspects it was pretty fucked up. It had some gorgeous pixel art and Mode7 graphics in it, and the music was not too shabby either. One thing it also had was a combat system with a pretty good variety of different combat moves, something that I haven't seen any other action-RPG at the time do, and some pretty epic boss battles. Of course, though, you had only one character and magic was pretty limited.

I feel that a remake of this game would be something awesome if done right. The storyline of the original tended to be a bit too senseless in some areas, and maybe a slight revision could improve it. One thing that could really be improved was the basis of the game's gameplay, combat. While you had different combat moves that you could do (you used a spear, so you could stab, stab-flurry, do a circular jumping attack, a dash attack, a dash-from-the-air-and-slide-on-ground attack which looked pretty neat, and even a block) most of these moves were pretty useless or unnecessary in the grand scheme of things, mostly due to poor balancing. The dash attack made you virtually invulnerable through its duration, and if you had good timing you could be pretty much impervious to damage while you used it, so it tended to be used through 99% of the game. Using the stab-flurry attack was actually weaker than just using repeated normal stabs, the circular jump attack I never found a use for and the last attack was only needed for few monsters. The block was neat, but overall disnecessary especially with the imba dash attack.

Improving that would basically be a matter of balancing the moves better and creating new combat scenarios in which different moves are more useful than the rest, or allow the player to do some nifty combos with his different moves for greater effect.

Magic was another issue. In order to cast magic you needed to exaust one-time-use magic rings. So far so good, but getting those rings requires you to finds special items called magirocks in the game's many areas, and they were fairly limited. That would be cool too, if the spells were actually useful. All the times I played this game I must have used at most 2 or 3 rings, if that. Which is a shame because some of them had some pretty awesome-looking effects. I would basically change the magic system to have more use, maybe in a Zelda/Metroid fashion in which using spells in areas would open new paths. Also, maybe decreasing the number of available magirocks in order to make rings, but making the rings non-exaustable, so that the player was encouraged to experiment with them instead of saving their precious few for when they might need it, which never really happened. Make some of the battles actually benefit from magic-use, for that matter.

Another issue is the usual jRPG leveling up thingmagig. While being an action RPG with a fairly large moveset dimished the need of powerleveling greatly if you knew what you're doing, it still felt pretty out-of-place. It's highly simplified, you only have three stats, Attack, Defense and Luck, and they grow exactly the same way no matter how you play the game or what you do. The game's well balanced enough that you'll rarely feel you need more strength or that you're overpowered if you didn't stay in a single spot killing wolves from dusk to dawn. So I ask, why is it even there? Probably due to convention. I'd work it into a better mechanic or most probably do away with it completely.

Another problem is that, although the game's usually fairly well balanced, some few instances are glaringly flawed. Off the top of my head I can think of a single mid-game boss which happens to be around twice as hard as the game's final boss, if not more.

I guess I've made the post big enough. Share your own beloved games you guys feel could do with an upgrade. Smiley

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 02:47:10 PM »

I really liked this game.  It has that really awesome, like, unedited feeling.  Like everything ever suggested by any team member was just thrown in there.  Weird enemies, bizarre powerups, non-linear level progression, some 100-odd levels or something preposterous, really strange bosses...

...but in my opinion, the pixel art in this game is just TERRIBLE.  Things are basically recognizable most of the time, but its very noisy and weird, especially compared to other games that came out around the same time (like Sonic's bold colors and clean designs).

cup full of magic charisma
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 02:49:35 PM »

Kid Chameleon was awesome, not to mention incredibly long compared to most platformers. Also, it's probably the only game where you fight a giant severed head on a stick. :D

I agree with you about the graphics though, feels like a mishmash of different styles.

Another Sega classic that deserves a remake: the Vectorman series. I played number 2, and it was fun, but I hated how dark the graphics are, especially on the first few levels. That, and the incredibly cheap enemies, prevented me from getting very far in the game. I think I made it to the 5th zone once (which was an industrial plant or something?), but that was as far as I got.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 02:54:13 PM by Stij » Logged
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 02:58:07 PM »

Robot Odyssey should be remade, although I could very well imagine that it has already been done. In short, you had to enter the "head" of robots and then rewire them to solve puzzles.

But Abandonia can probably explain that better than me.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 03:31:08 PM »

When I actually get around to *making games*, I'm gonna remake Rescue on Fractalus!. Just for the hell of it. Grin

olücæbelel
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 03:37:05 PM »

Jurassic Park: Trespasser. The basic idea was to make a 1st person survival-horror game with the Jurassic Park license, in a story separate from the books or the movies. This game had so many concepts that were unheard of in 1998, but the execution was terrible.

Take the interface, for example. There are no cutscenes, and there is no HUD. Instead, you look down at your (female) avatar's enormous breasts to look at a heart tattoo. The tattoo represents your health, slowly filling up whenever you take damage and healing yourself after a brief time, like most modern shooters.

There's a bunch of other stuff, like the degree of non-linearity, the animation system based almost entirely on a character's skeleton and the game's rudimentary physics engine(!). I recommend checking out the link to find out more, and if you're curious enough, there's still a demo of the original game floating around somewhere.

A modern-day version of the same concept with more horsepower and a top-notch developer would kick so much ass. Especially for a movie/book-licensed game, this would be incredible.
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 03:55:57 PM »

Jurassic Park: Trespasser...this would be incredible.

I totally agree!  I also recommend checking out the SA LP for it here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2818186

Has lots of awesome behind the scenes information and the guy that narrates it is fabulous.

cup full of magic charisma
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 04:30:33 PM »

Altered Beast. This game was great for its furry homoeroticism ambiance, but seriously the gameplay sucked.

You tried to click on that link didn't you?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 04:37:29 PM »

Altered Beast. This game was great for its furry homoeroticism ambiance, but seriously the gameplay sucked.

You tried to click on that link didn't you?

Old joke.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 04:51:42 PM »

but srsly, I would like to see an altered beast game with a good gameplay.
Then I could die a complete soul.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 04:54:22 PM »

I do remember it being sluggish as heck, and the final level's ultimate form seemed useless against the final boss.

For a genesis game it looked pretty badass, though.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 05:25:05 PM »

I'd love to see a remake of Wizards and Warriors III sometime. I maybe even attempt one myself if the 2008 contest at Retro Remakes ends up going ahead Smiley

Also, what's this - new smileys? Gentleman

Awesome! Beer!

Jrsquee
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 06:46:18 PM »

Cave Story.  Cave Story
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 06:58:50 PM »

Cave Story.  Cave Story

I do not agree.

Saladan0
Level 1

I am so Indie I beat Diamond Rider on Legendary.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 07:13:57 PM »

Ditto. The whole charm of the game was the graphics and the story. You cant add or change anything in it to make it better. Its perfect the way it is.

If anything, id have to go with bubble bobble. You cant get enough dinosaurs shooting giant ass bubbles at people to kill them.
Jrsquee
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 07:27:25 PM »

Ditto. The whole charm of the game was the graphics and the story. You cant add or change anything in it to make it better. Its perfect the way it is.

If anything, id have to go with bubble bobble. You cant get enough dinosaurs shooting giant ass bubbles at people to kill them.

I'm just bitter that it won't run full-screen on my Mac.  It's a fine game. 

However, for something that should be remade:  Sonic Adventure 1.  It was good in concept (that scene where the whale chases you through the boardwalk was awesome), but it had some major flaws that need to be fixed.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 07:39:55 PM »

Not sure Bubble Bobble needs a remake so much. The original is a pretty solid game.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 08:35:19 PM »

Kid F'king Icarus.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 09:20:45 PM »

Illusion of Gaia 2? More like Soulblazer 3!

Soulblazer being another game that needs to be remade, an action RPG who's towns fill in based on which monsters you kill in the levels? awesome!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 09:23:48 PM »

Illusion of Gaia 2? More like Soulblazer 3!

Soulblazer being another game that needs to be remade, an action RPG who's towns fill in based on which monsters you kill in the levels? awesome!
agreed

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic