Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:40:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopCharacter animations and other assorted nonsense
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Character animations and other assorted nonsense  (Read 2038 times)
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2011, 04:37:07 AM »

any tips for improving these things?

i'm not really happy with the idle, but i can't think what to do with it.

and some trees. Used references for these. I think I should shrink the stump down a little to fit with the size of the tall one better.

I'm using one of the many versions of arne's 16-colour palette. I've read countless tutorials and tips on animation and pixel art, but i find putting it into practice a little difficult Smiley I'm not a confident artist, but I try to do at least some sketches every day.

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 05:53:11 AM »

Slow down the idle animation? Wink
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 07:37:02 AM »

i have slowed it down in game, but i was wondering if theres something i could do other that just UP DOWN UP DOWN motion.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 11:19:57 AM »

you could add some forward backward movement to the idle, but that might be a bit too much. You could try adding some delay to the motion of the gun, so it lags a frame behind that of the body, and add a brief pause so he doesn't look like he's on some kinda amphetamine or something.

for the shootin' anim, you could try moving his torso back on the firing, as well, for mo' force.

I like the run, but the legs look a bit strobey. Maybe you could offset them a little so it isn't exactly the same for each left-step-right-step?

The death is funny but...I dunno the whole slam into the ground thing seems weird to me. Unless the character's movement in game feels similarly oomph-ish it might seem out of place? Iunno.

thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 12:07:50 PM »

IDLE: he could look around, lower his gun, hold his gun differently, throw his gun in the air and catch it, breathe.

Shooting: I'd have to agree you should move the upper torso back as well.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 12:17:22 PM »

xion; i messed around with moving his gun out of time but he did just look like he was jiggling about too much i think.

good tips on the shooting animation/running animation, i'll give them a go. The other option it seems for the running animation is just add more frames, to give a better impression, but I hope it doesn't have to come to that Smiley

The reason i did the slam into the ground, apart from just messing around, was because I ran out of space in my image. I was going to have him flung a ways off, but I couldn't do it without making it bigger. I'll make it bigger and finish it properly.

thedaemon; i think that's what i'll go for. i kinda didn't think about adding more frames  Facepalm

thank you guys!

edit:

i think i'll make a few of these, they are pretty fun! looking at his future-watch.. leaning on his gun.. taking his helmet off and shaking his tiny hair..
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 01:00:05 PM by JMickle » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic