Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411509 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:51:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingStory for a multiplayer platform game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Story for a multiplayer platform game  (Read 4382 times)
MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: May 29, 2011, 06:15:44 AM »

Hello there.

Two friends and I are starting our humble game development project. It's going to be a multiplayer (through the Internet) 2D platform game in which players will be able to use close range and shooting weapons to get rid of the many enemies who're going oppose them. The game will provide multiple levels linked to each others by doors and players will be free to wander around them in any order.

For short, you can see it as an Internet mutiplayer Cave Story like game Cave Story

We're all experienced programmers and we have experience in game development. But none of us have writing talent and we're having trouble to find a simple yet nice story. We have limited means, we can't make kickass cut scenes neither tones of different characters and environments.

If you have suggestions or, better, if you would like to join us as a writer, please PM me.

Kind regards,
MadWatch
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 06:41:47 AM »

From what you described, it sounds like the game is co-op. Here are some suggestions:

1) Astronauts stranded on an alien planet have to fight off the wildlife to reach their ship and send a distress call.

2) Survivors of a robopocalypse try to survive the robo-onslaught and shut down the master computer.

3) An uprising in an Orwellian state leads to citizens fighting the army.

Philtron
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 10:34:45 AM »

I wouldn't even bother with a story, if I were you. Just make whatever levels, enemies, weapons, mechanics you feel like and don't even worry about their context or whether they connect to each other thematically. Just work on the game and I guarantee that in time, as you're working on all these assets and playtesting, you'll start to see connections between assets that weren't intended to be there and a story will start emerging in your mind naturally and all on its own.

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
http://electriccartilage.wordpress.com/
Pedrosanchau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 06:04:38 AM »

Two survivors try to run out of infected city. At the end, one is infected, the other have to kill him, the other resist and fight back.

Do you want a story where the goal is already here at the begginning of the game or a more develop one?
The two fighting at the end might be good.
MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 03:30:05 PM »

From what you described, it sounds like the game is co-op.
My apologies, I should have made it clear. Yes, it's co-op.

Do you want a story where the goal is already here at the begginning of the game or a more develop one?
Yes I'm looking for a story that unfolds as you play the game. It doesn't have to be very complicated but it has to keep the player interested. I guess that's the hard part Roll Eyes

I wouldn't even bother with a story, if I were you. Just make whatever levels, enemies, weapons, mechanics you feel like and don't even worry about their context or whether they connect to each other thematically. Just work on the game and I guarantee that in time, as you're working on all these assets and playtesting, you'll start to see connections between assets that weren't intended to be there and a story will start emerging in your mind naturally and all on its own.
Well, the story should serve the game and not the opposite so your advise makes sense. Still, I'm worried that if I start making things without a story in mind I will end up with something completely illogical and it will be impossible to make a story for it.

Thanks for the suggestions, it helps. Finding a premise isn't too hard. But then developing it is. Imagining characters, situations, encounters and dialogs seems just as hard as programming the game.
Pedrosanchau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 09:33:15 PM »

What kind of background do you want? realistic, futurist.
Philtron
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »

Well, the story should serve the game and not the opposite so your advise makes sense. Still, I'm worried that if I start making things without a story in mind I will end up with something completely illogical and it will be impossible to make a story for it.

Nothing is impossible to make a story out of. Our brains instantly imbue things with familiarity; it's why we see images in illogical inkblots and meaningless cloud formations. Trust me: if you just work on your game long enough, a story will come to you.

If you still don't like this idea then you'll have to give us more info, because we don't have much to go on.

Finding a premise isn't too hard. But then developing it is. Imagining characters, situations, encounters and dialogs seems just as hard as programming the game.

Start off small. The proper way to code does not involve trying to write the entire program right away.  You're supposed to write a chunk of code, test it, polish it, and then once it works, you add code, and repeat until you've got the functionality you originally intended. Same thing with story writing. Just start off with the most basic form of plot and characters, polish and edit them, and once you're happy with each story asset then elaborate and expand on them.

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
http://electriccartilage.wordpress.com/
MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 02:13:37 PM »

We decided to go for a "near future" background, I mean a world with a sightly more advanced technology than what we have now but still no space ship, flying cars nor laser guns.

The plot would be a war between men and God. Judgment day came and God descended on Earth. Men were afraid, they built a terrifying weapon and used it against him. Nobody knows if the mighty is dead or not but what's certain is that he doesn't rule anymore. Demons and ghost rose from the abyss and angels, panicking without their master, have started an insane crusade to eradicate every single remaining human.

Players incarnate war priestesses. Cute girls (what else ?) who have the ability to reincarnate whenever they die and are well trained in the use of weapons and magic. You shoot gun angels, you beat up demons, you receive mission orders on you smart phone (there's an app for that) and that's it.

As you can guess the story isn't meant to be serious at all. And it's not meant to carry any message or morality about religion, belief or whatever.

It isn't really original, but I hope the countless tales about angels and mythological creatures will give me the inspirations I need to create my characters and situations.

Do you think I can get anything out of this ?
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 03:41:51 PM »

That is so Shin Megami Tensei. I love it! You must do it!  Hand Shake LeftEvil:handshakeR:

Pedrosanchau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 09:33:58 PM »

yep, go for it.
filosofiamanga
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 12:06:51 PM »

Start off small. The proper way to code does not involve trying to write the entire program right away.  You're supposed to write a chunk of code, test it, polish it, and then once it works, you add code, and repeat until you've got the functionality you originally intended. Same thing with story writing. Just start off with the most basic form of plot and characters, polish and edit them, and once you're happy with each story asset then elaborate and expand on them.

I agree with this, I think It's the way you should go, start by a general subject, then start thinking which characters you like about that topic, choose one to be the avatar and the others will become NPCs, also seek who will be the great antagonist based on your characters, and create his minions making them seem to complement the "bad" guy.

Nothing is impossible to make a story out of. Our brains instantly imbue things with familiarity; it's why we see images in illogical inkblots and meaningless cloud formations. Trust me: if you just work on your game long enough, a story will come to you.

I also agree with this, remember that It's the story's universe, diferent than our.

Yes I'm looking for a story that unfolds as you play the game. It doesn't have to be very complicated but it has to keep the player interested. I guess that's the hard part Roll Eyes

Try this scheme:

TOPIC:
- First, seek a topic: you say: you would like little Magical girls that fight angels and demons.
CHARACTERS:
It's simple to create a character, just choose three qualities that describe him and all his actions (dialogs, powers, plot actions) should show those three Traits.
- Second, create the avatar: Also you said it: A magical girl.
- Third, think the sidekicks: This is optional, but it's great at least one so in the story the avatar will have someone to talk, to complain, to trust.
- Four, create the NPC: It could be allies, enemies, shoopkeepers, town NPC, etc.
- Five, create the antagonist: Based on the avatar and his sidekicks, who will be a great Enemy and be a badass BAD guy?, You could give him the oposite qualities of the avatar (But he needs to be original on his own, not just a dark and evil clone of the avatar).
- Six, create the evil minions: Create the bad guy friends or minions, but think: How they complement the bad guy?, which quality they seem to help to the bad guy?

BACKGROUND:
-First, the WORLD: Think which world will be interesting to see your characters acting in?, which subject, traits it will show.
-Second, the towns: Think the maps of the game, think interesting placement of towns where you play the game and found the NPC (allied, enemy, peasants, shoopkeepers, neutral)
-After you got the maps: Think how you would "enhance" the maps using the background first step.

NOW you got IT: Now you got enough material to start making the plot.
THE PLOT
Think of this scheme:
-First, the Introduction: In the first minutes of the game, start making missions that teaches the game mechanics (Tutorial missions), teaches about the avatar (maybe getting her fist weapons, spell, magic, items, equipment, first NPC friends), teaches about the world and story background (NPC missions to get items or kill monsters for NPC and they talk about it).
-Second, first game twist: Maybe in a mission or because of that mission (maybe you acomplish the mission, maybe you fail it) a situation is created that disturb the initial armony of the world, also this situation create the motivation for the avatar to start the journey, maybe it's something the avatar deeply care it's in danger (to deepen the effect it's something you fought for it in several missions in the introduction stage). It should be noted that this important stuff could be important for the NPC (being in danger it's a good motivation), It doesn't necesarily means the world is in danger and it's going to be destroyed, could be other things that also are important (like love, goals in life, noble goals, family and social safety, social pride, etc.)
-Third, THE JOURNEY: Now you made the entire game about the avatar trying to get fullfiled his "emotional" need but clashing with the antagonist and his minions. REMEMBER: The antagonist oposes the avatar because the avatar fulfilling his need will be against the antagonist "interest" so if the avatar suceed, the antagonist loses something him is at stake. Also they can't just make a deal, it's something really important, they need to destroy each other.
-Four, THE CLIMAX: Now you make the final showdown, the final confrontation, the player has suceed in his pursuit, so the antagonist finally fight the avatar.
-Five, The conclusion: Now the armony is restored, although the world is a diferent place, the avatar returns to daily life, and the story consequences is shown.

Why the Plot is the last?
Because you need raw materials to think of good "plot" units.

Well, I think that's all you need.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 09:56:12 AM »

You have already nice game concept there, where do you need the story? What 'more' would the story add there? Is it really necessary? Why would I as a player be interested of the story?

MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 01:03:54 PM »

Why would I as a player be interested of the story?
Excellent question.

As a player the fun of this game will be into exploring, collecting items, getting stronger, teaming with other players and, most importantly, killing  Evil

The story isn't going to be of primary importance to you. So why making a story in the first place ? Because if it isn't there you will miss it. I don't think you can make a game like that without telling the player who he is, where he is, what he is fighting against and why.

The story of this game should be something very simple. I like games with very long and complicated stories but I'm not trying to make one here. The more I think about it the more I believe the setting I wrote above (about killing God and all) is too complicated already.

Yet I need a story to support the rest of the game. I need a story to make the dramatic situations look more dramatic, to make the mighty enemies look more mighty, the bad asses characters more bad asses and the bloodshed more bloody.

Do you think I'm wrong ?
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 03:58:55 PM »

I prefer games with stories. Some people don't. It depends on the developer and player.

Your setting is great, I don't see how it would be complicated to depict. Destroyed buildings in a modern environment will show that it's post-apocalyptic. Showing angels, demons and soldiers fighting will indicate some kind of divine catastrophe has occurred. Showing a massive weapon in the background will depict humanity's last-ditch effort. Not even any storytelling required besides a short description at the beginning.

Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 10:53:04 PM »

Do you think I'm wrong ?

I don't like to think what is right or wrong, I just like to share ideas.

About this game, for me the on going story would be too much of a distraction of the core thing, game itself. Of course for developers it might be easier to do the audiovisual content and other design, if you have some sort of storyline which works as a guideline for the game world. But I don't think it is necessary. It can be just like: 'Robots in jungle fighting against alien mutants' That is not a story, its a setting and it is all you need to make games. I believe best compromise is to offer story if gamer wants one. I believe in Wolfenstein 3D player was able to read the story from some link in menu - if he wanted to do so. That is fine, I am not forced to follow something that I don't care.

For example the game Prey, which is very straightforward action shooter and quite good in that area. Many, many times I was distracted from the nice gaming "flow" because forced storytelling / cutscenes. It killed the feel every time. And I also HAD TO follow some of the cutscenes closely just to know what happens next and what I have to do. For gaming experience, that is fatal. Your game seems also pretty straightforward and action packed, so forced story would at least kill it for me.

MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 07:59:43 AM »

For example the game Prey, which is very straightforward action shooter and quite good in that area. Many, many times I was distracted from the nice gaming "flow" because forced storytelling / cutscenes. It killed the feel every time.
I agree with this. Also my game is multilayer so I can't pause it with cutscenes.

I first thought I would have dialog scenes in the game. But now I think even that would be too much. I will go for what SundownKid is proposing instead. The story will be told by the environment, the short missions order the characters receive, the few things enemies occasionally say (like "We shall slay the infidels who defied our lord !") and things like that.

Also, when you will start a new game, you will have to go through a single player tutorial level that will take place into some training facility. The instructions you receive here will both teach you how to play and give few bits of information about the setting.

Of course for developers it might be easier to do the audiovisual content and other design, if you have some sort of storyline which works as a guideline for the game world.
That exactly. If I could figure out a coherent sequence of events for the game it would help me imagining the rest  Sad

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 01:22:31 PM »

If you look at Left 4 Dead, it's the current best way of conveying story in a multiplayer online game. The characters talk amongst themselves and the environment gives more clues. But, it never pauses the action or forces the player to investigate if they don't want to. I guess that works better in a slower-paced context, though.

MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 01:31:44 AM »

What would you think of cutscenes after boss fights ?

After fighting a hard boss the player needs some time to catch his breath, and he's expecting some kind of reward too. Don't you think a short cutscene here can serve both purposes ?

Remember in Super Mario World, each time you finished a castle you had an animation where Mario destroyed it. I think that was good.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 11:50:27 AM »

I'm sure that would be fine, as long as it played out automatically. It depends on whether you want to make it more of a co-op game with a story, or simply an online game where people can go to play instantly. You should probably add a skip button, though, because it would be tedious to see more than once.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic