Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 06:44:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralTigsource writing compo discussions
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Tigsource writing compo discussions  (Read 9199 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2008, 12:27:00 AM »

Do a word limit rather than a line limit. I think maybe 500, 600 words would be good.
Why? I mean, the only reason I could see is changes in resolution.
Like Smithy said, it's kinda weighted toward poetry.

increpare
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2008, 05:34:10 AM »

Deadline for the comp? (1 week be enough, or two?)

I think 15 lines is an okay limit.  Could impose both the line and the word limit.

I'm in favour of the voting system: it'll be nice and arbitrary. 

I'm guessing that people aren't going to be posting their poems on individual threads though?

Contains an element shared by all shtories (How about uhhh Cyclops or blindness)
How about a different sort of requirement, say that the work be narrative, or have stream-of-consciousness elements, or be a lyric poem, a dialogue, or something else along those lines.  I can't help but think that the cyclops/blindness requirement would be a bit too restrictive; a 'have to make reference to mythology' or a 'disability' theme might leave more freedom, and make entry-reading a more interesting process.

No doubt there'll be an '3 hour epic poem contest' over at poppenkast some time Wink

I think it unlikely that I'll enter myself, though.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 05:38:37 AM by increpare » Logged
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2008, 05:46:58 AM »

Is it going to be poetry-only? Undecided
increpare
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2008, 05:55:23 AM »

Is it going to be poetry-only? Undecided
I don't think so.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2008, 05:56:11 AM »

Damn Chutup you're 16?  I'm a dinosaur at exactly twice your age!

I love to write too, my dad was a screenwriter, my mum is a journalist.  I've written an unpublished novel.  Actually, part of my reason for wanting to make games is to use the medium to tell stories, something I think is undervalued in modern games.

Keep at it mate!

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2008, 07:04:19 AM »

I think the theme should be "Cave Story rip-off".
 Cave Story

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2008, 07:15:53 AM »

We could do a video-game related challenge, just to tie it back into the site. But where's the fun in that? Maybe we could all base our stories off of a single picture or song, or something like that.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2008, 07:53:29 AM »

Anybody up for fixing the thread title? Roll Eyes

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2008, 10:52:17 AM »

I thought that was supposed to be ironic.
Tasoth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2008, 05:22:04 PM »

Compo theme: One of these things is not like the other.

What does that mean? Depends on the person. Perhaps its a normal person caught in an alien environment or an alien caught in a mundane environment. Or whatever you can devise.

I'd prefer a set word count, somewhere between 500-1000 words, maybe the ability to petition the thread for an additional 250-500 to be decided by the judges.

Bonus points if you  can successfully use Burrough's cut up literary technique and still tell the story.
Saladan0
Level 1

I am so Indie I beat Diamond Rider on Legendary.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2008, 06:54:11 PM »

Im all in for this, and yes, I think in the interest of fairness, a word count should be implemented.

It wouldnt be right for a haiku to go up against a 500 page novel.

Maybe set it to 300 minimum and 500 maximum.

Also, a category may not be the best idea. Lets say the judges are reading a group of stories. They encounter the same thing over and over again, and regardless of skill, they will vote against the ones they read last because they are tired of the subject.
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2008, 07:24:09 PM »

I write. I'm 15. I've written 4 short stories and am working on another. I'm helping with Planet X Fiction, a new publishing company. But rather than writing when I get older, I'm going to direct movies.

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Seth
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2008, 11:46:07 PM »

What about this, guys?
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2008, 04:16:52 AM »

It kind of floppered, I guess, but I'm planning to get it started soon, when I get the time. No more discussion, I'm just going to lay out the rules, appoint myself judge, and see how it goes.  Gentleman

dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2008, 06:16:59 AM »

Well, brain must of didn't see this one at first. I like to pretend I'm a writer. Got a few things "published" (first prize in a Clan of the Cats contest, a White Wolf submission), a few things properly published:

http://sebt.umwestern.edu/twistedink/Stories/TheBaker.html

Got a bunch of stories on my site:

http://moonfire.us/Category:Stories

I also have a few novels in the submission grinder, a couple in the writing queue. I also have another byline which has a few published stories, about 70 online, and three novels, one that is properly published (then republished). Those are all... romance with trashy cover type of stories.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic