Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 07:52:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPassive Aggressive - a shoot 'em up without the "shoot 'em up"
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Passive Aggressive - a shoot 'em up without the "shoot 'em up"  (Read 1287 times)
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2011, 09:08:12 AM »

Concept

Quote from: The backstory
Your home planet has a firm belief in the ways of pacifism. At least, that's how they justified not installing any guns to your so called "battleship" before sending you off to a hostile territory. Apparently this mission is an ancient rite of passage for your people, one that you just heard of minutes before your call to leave.

Instead of using violence yourself, your task is to enlighten your enemies by showing them how their violence only harms themselves. Which might be futile, since what you're facing are merely AIs with no real sentience, morality, or concept of learning things.

Passive Aggressive is no ordinary shmup, in the sense that you will not shoot a single bullet during the game. The only way to survive is to use your wits.
    Your enemies are simple-minded, they only care about destroying you, but they can harm each other and even themselves in the process. You start out as a vulnerable observer, mainly using your location to make enemies shoot at each other, but eventually becoming able to manipulate the environment more and more.
    It's what you could call a deconstruction of the genre - shmup clichés are acknowledged and viewed from a different angle.

Brainstorming
The structure is fairly familiar to other shmups. Every zone is divided to imaginary screens with a set of enemies and obstacles. Some of those enemies must be taken down before you move on and new ones spawn. At the end of each zone awaits a unique boss enemy which tests what you've learned during the level. Bosses each represent a certain ability, and by defeating them, you'll gain that ability. I don't think this game will be particularly long, maybe something like 5 or 6 zones, but hopefully with no bad minute!
    There will be a small amount of highly specialized enemies in the game, with underlying "rock, paper, scissors" mechanics. As you gain experience and abilities, their functions can be explored more thoroughly, and puzzle elements become more relevant. My philosophy is that instead of introducing new objects for every niche, I find it good design to simply take advantage of interactions between existing objects.
    Consequently there are few cannon fodder enemies, many of them are carefully placed to be meaningful when clearing an area. Not all enemies are automatically bad, as their value and killing order depends on the situation. By figuring out their priorities you'll get the most out of every area.

• Turret: They can't move, but their bullets can. Their backs have generators producing energy pellets which seek the player. They're easy to destroy by guiding the bullets back to themselves, so usually it's more useful to let them survive and use those valuable homing bullets for sharp-shooting something else.
  • Bomber: They can move, but their bullets can't. Depending on the area they might either follow the player or have pre-defined paths. As the name implies, bombers drop bombs that are triggered by projectiles (but not ships). The bombs' explosions leave behind special walls, which in turn destroy ships that collide with them (but not projectiles). Between their two forms, there are different ways to be manipulate them - I think Turrets' bullets could activate bombs and Sniper' lasers deactivate walls. Needless to say, bombers and bombs have potential for some interesting puzzles.
  • Sniper: An ominous fly might float towards you every now and then. When you realize it's actually a crosshair, it's already too late: the Sniper's fired a straight laser beam piercing pretty much everything. What's being pierced should change the effects of the beam somehow. And there's another catch, the energy panels in Turrets' backs work as mirrors, allowing you to pierce things the laser can't reach by itself. Make sure that the Turret you want to use as a reflector has its back against the Sniper, otherwise you'll simply wreck the poor Turret.

Presentation
I have an outline of the graphical style in mind: I'm imagining something crisp and metallic, with large monochrome parts contrasting very detailed parts. Indoor environments would generally mark places where you're learning something new and there's a more linear approach. Meanwhile in outdoor environments, you'd be free to experiment with things you already know, but a perfect completion would take more effort.

Production
I'll do the initial sketches in Python/Pygame. It's a great way to get things from your head to your screen quickly, and I'm the most comfortable with that environment, but it can't handle hundreds of bullets or anything. The final product will probably be in C++/SFML. As of writing this post, I have a primitive but working proof-of-concept with a handful of screens and placeholder graphics:

(The red bullet is the player, the blue ones are shot by the Turret in the center, plus there's three Bombers littering the field with their tiny little bombs, one of which has expanded to a white wall.)

A devlog is surely more of an incentive to keep working on this even when it's not going smoothly. Feel free to give me ideas when I'm in the flow, and harass me when I'm slowing down.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 10:18:10 AM »

reminds me of ceramic shooter electronic poem, which had the same premise but did it a different way (it was a scrolling shooter where you had to avoid shooting enemies and avoid crashing into them -- if you did too much damage you died)

however i question the part where you say the player is motivated by pacifism and yet one of their goals is to get enemies to shoot at and destroy each other. that's not really how a pacifist would act: pacifists are not like 'death and destruction is okay as long as i technically don't do it'

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 10:25:58 AM »

however i question the part where you say the player is motivated by pacifism and yet one of their goals is to get enemies to shoot at and destroy each other. that's not really how a pacifist would act: pacifists are not like 'death and destruction is okay as long as i technically don't do it'

Heh. The implication of the backstory is that the whole "pacifism" or "rite of passage" thing was only a shallow excuse to send you to your doom. I guess they just don't like the player's face or something.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 12:08:33 PM »

Heh. The implication of the backstory is that the whole "pacifism" or "rite of passage" thing was only a shallow excuse to send you to your doom. I guess they just don't like the player's face or something.
You could just make the pilot swear when a enemy blows up each other.
make it all accidental.
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 06:27:30 AM »

You could just make the pilot swear when a enemy blows up each other.
make it all accidental.

I feel like that would lose its novelty pretty quick. The story isn't that important anyway, I suppose those two silly paragraphs are all you'd hear from it. It's more convincing to use presentation to convey a message or mood, especially when we're working with the shmup tropes.

Like this. Technoir would be a cold, clinical planet with all the metal, glass, and abandoned machines - you don't need narrative to know. This is pretty much spot on when it comes to the composition (like I said in the opener, I'm looking for contrasts between monochrome and crisp detail), but I'm not happy with the textures. Imagine touching the walls; they're more plastic or even rubbery than metallic. I'm not really sure yet how to improve this without making everything too hard to read.

The outside sections of Technoir would look post-apocalyptic, as if an advanced civilization had disappeared a long while ago. Futuristic buildings in ruins, toxic fumes floating in the air, hopefully spiced up with some layered parallax scrolling to give everything a greater sense of movement. I can tell the styles of those two images clash a lot, but I wouldn't be so worried about that, as the state of the planet could come out as a sudden revelation after being inside a facility for half a level. Either that, or I could make this one its own level with a waste-themed indoor section, and make something more fitting for an outdoor Technoir.

Looking at this, It's easy to imagine sort of ominous background music mainly focusing on piano/pads/dark bass, not the rapid breakbeat style you usually hear in shmups. That style of music would make sense near the start of the game, when you're inexperienced and defenseless. It's only later on that the music becomes more heroic.

And then there's this surreal crystal planet, Iridia (from 'iridescence'). Not just eye candy, I figure it'd take more advantage of the environment and be more "organic" in that sense, less limited to a grid. That's why you'll probably come across it near the end, after you've gained confidence in your navigation skills and learned to manipulate your surroundings.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:33:45 AM by sublinimal » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic