Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:17:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsflagship -- yet another fun 'n gun
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: flagship -- yet another fun 'n gun  (Read 7787 times)
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2011, 03:37:01 PM »

Just what is it that makes Flagship so different, so appealing?

Latest Update: A Modern Boss for a Modern Generation —— 3/24

(alpha 2 (32MB): windows, mac)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:27:44 PM by Noah! » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 03:51:20 PM »

Seems to be missing a dll (libgcc_s_dw2-1)
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 04:05:11 PM »

AUGH...hmm, maybe try this version?

Yeah, sorry about that, I don't have another clean Windows machine to test these things on...
harkme
Level 1

Surprise!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 04:10:55 PM »

AUGH...hmm, maybe try this version?

Yeah, sorry about that, I don't have another clean Windows machine to test these things on...

That version has the same problem.
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 04:19:38 PM »

Uh...

Okay, let's try this out. Here's the missing DLL. Does the game work if you drop it in with all the other .dll's?

(why didn't I just use game maker...)
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 04:30:32 PM »

Oh holy shiz, this game is a blast!

I think the first boss had a little funky pattern (at least, I couldn't notice it... admittedly, I was rushing through it...) and the second boss soon relies on you understanding where your hitpoint is; and, given the short amount of time I'd been playing, I didn't know where my hitpoint was.  Tongue

So far, so amazing, though! I really like the gameplay; its tight, concise, and fun. Also, nice job with the Dynamite Headdy sound effects Kiss
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 05:37:03 PM »

@Inanimate: Hey, thanks! I'm really glad you enjoyed it so much, Headdy SFX and all! And sorry about the first boss; I sorta forgot to program in its "tells" (I knew I was missing something!) before release.

And to everyone else, I've updated the topic with a link to the latest build, with a guest-appearance by libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll! *crosses fingers*
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 10:24:29 AM »

pic + vid plz Wink

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 10:47:23 AM »

Dude legit. I like it! Its fun. The controls make sense and are intuitive. Although it took me awhile before I realized I could switch weapons. It might be good to eventually have a beginning level where you force the player to use each of the weapons so they aren't trying them out during the boss battles *ahem* which totally didn't happen to me.

I liked the strobe baddies. I think you should put more flashy lights and bright colors because well it just felt like there should be more of that type of stuff.
Anyways. I like it! I played all the way through. The 2nd boss battle was fun for me and pretty intense with the button mashing and all.

Nice job man, ill definitely play the next version even if it doesn't come for another year Smiley

noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 12:01:40 PM »

Dude legit. I like it! Its fun. The controls make sense and are intuitive. Although it took me awhile before I realized I could switch weapons. It might be good to eventually have a beginning level where you force the player to use each of the weapons so they aren't trying them out during the boss battles *ahem* which totally didn't happen to me.

I liked the strobe baddies. I think you should put more flashy lights and bright colors because well it just felt like there should be more of that type of stuff.
Anyways. I like it! I played all the way through. The 2nd boss battle was fun for me and pretty intense with the button mashing and all.

Nice job man, ill definitely play the next version even if it doesn't come for another year Smiley

Thanks for the kind words! It means a lot to me to hear that people are enjoying it, since after playing each level and boss a hundred times it stops being fun for me, and starts to make me wonder if it's fun for anyone else.

Regarding the weapons, my plan is to have the player unlock them Mega Man style, where the first five levels give you the various weapons (hence why "acquired laser weapon!" shows up at the end of the level). Later on I'll implement weapon unlocking, but for right now I'm gonna leave them all available so players (and myself) can play around with 'em.

And don't worry, there will be more flashy bits before it's all said and done. The big challenge (for me) is figuring out how to tastefully add them in, without it becoming too distracting or devolving into either a seizure-fest. But rest assured, I'll be sure to make later versions bright and shiny!

pic + vid plz Wink

Man, I wish I could...I've tried pumping the game through CamStudio, and it could barely get above ~5FPS. And I don't really feel like pirating any other options.

Pictures, however, can be found in the original post (I've edited it a little to make 'em more apparent). I'm kinda reluctant to [img] them in because...let's face it, the game isn't really that graphically impressive, and a lot of the art is currently placeholder stuff.
sonicblastoise
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 06:50:58 PM »

I'll try to post a video with my setup.

Will update when its uploaded.

*EDIT*

Uploaded!

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 07:48:16 PM by sonicblastoise » Logged
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 09:28:33 PM »

Ahh! Thank you so much for the video! I'm glad to see you liked it enough to make a video for it; at the very least, it was a great way for me to see the game as played from someone else's perspective!

(in other news, I added a Mac build to the main page, and progress is coming right along on alpha 2, which I estimate should be ready for action in a month or so! get psyched?)
sonicblastoise
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 09:44:16 PM »

I like making gameplay videos. It makes me feel like I'm performing for a crowd.

Or something. Maybe I have a problem Sad
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 02:45:34 PM »

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

...so much for an active devlog...

Anyway, I decided to put up another alpha, because I figure that it's about that time, and also because I just want to get this game off my chest so I can enjoy the Christmas season...

The big change this time is that the game is now a two-level demo! I've tried to move in a slightly different direction for the second level; trying to focus it around platforming and the like. Truth be told, I chose this level to make because I honestly want your opinions on the jump physics, and I kinda don't want to continue futher unless I know that everything feels rock-solid on the player's end.

And also there are some other changes here and there.

But enough of my rambling. Here's the link to the Windows version, and also one for Mac. Both are 32 MB, which is pretty hefty, but unfortunately most of it is library flab which I don't know how to trim off. (the first post also links to the updated build)

Well, that's all I have to say. To everyone who has played the first demo, I thank you from the bottom of my heart, and hope that the update lives up to your expectations. To everyone else, you don't know how much I would appreciate if you took the time to try out my game and offer a few suggestions as to how to improve it.
sonicblastoise
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 10:57:37 PM »

well noah, I'm downloading it now, and if the first demo was any indication, I'm sure it will be fun enough.

Impressions coming soon!
Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 11:12:08 PM »

Missing libstdc++-6.dll?? Am I the only one with this problem?

noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 12:05:59 AM »

AGAIN?! and i thought i had these problems sorted out too...

Okay, let's see...Here's a link to the missing DLL. Hopefully it'll fix the problem if you drop it in with all the other DLLs. If you're wary of an external site, and want to have the exact same DLL in a much bigger package, here's a link to the updated build (which has no changes but the addition of the DLL).

I'm really sorry, guys. I really should be putting more effort into getting the Windows builds as bug-free as possible, considering that's what most of you use...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 10:54:47 AM by Noah! » Logged
Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 12:11:27 PM »

Its still pretty fun and I like the changes you've made. I'm not sure what you have planned but it would be good to have a icon so you know what weapon you are using. Also i'm took to just mashing the fire button on the boss battles. It seemed to be an attrition fight more than one of skill. You might make the boss battles harder or give the player less health.

Still fun though Smiley

noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 01:12:22 PM »

Its still pretty fun and I like the changes you've made. I'm not sure what you have planned but it would be good to have a icon so you know what weapon you are using.

Thanks for the feedback! Right now, the weapon you're using is indicated by the color of the bottom bar (hidden for the default weapon, blue for laser, etc). But since you brought this issue up that must mean that I'm not doing a very good job of conveying that information...

Also i'm took to just mashing the fire button on the boss battles. It seemed to be an attrition fight more than one of skill. You might make the boss battles harder or give the player less health.

Ah, I was afraid of that. On one hand, I almost want to keep it that way, considering it is the first boss and all, but at the same time I know that isn't exactly the most fun. Right now, my current plan is to drastically increase the damage the player takes, in an effort to prevent players from just brute-forcing their way through the difficult parts. It's a crude solution, I know, but it just might work.
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 09:55:14 PM »

So I've decided that this whole "update per release" thing is kinda stupid, and leaving a six-month span between posts leaves a big gaping hole in the feedback loop and okay I just wanna get in on all this devlog lovin' ok?

Anyway, here's some things that have been done since the last post!
* The game's engine has been upgraded from SFML 1.6 to 2.0. The main implication of this upgrade is that, come next release, the chances of the demo being packaged with a missing DLL will be increased threefold!
* Along with that, the engine has been revamped in a number of ways, mainly by getting rid of all the nasty pointers littered around.
* The player now takes significantly more damage from attacks, and I may even increase it from here. We'll see.
* (todo: add point to make it seem like i'm actually making a game and not just futzing around with my engine)
* Oh, a new track was made for the game! I'm not too happy with it, but it'll do.

As for current progress, right now I'm working on Stage 4, which is the obligatory boss-rush part of the game! It's pretty cool, not only because it's shaping up to be fairly fast-paced, but also because all the bosses are variations on the theme of BALLS.

And I'll try to update this more frequently as things get done; can't promise anything schedule-wise, but I'll try to pump out progress in a brisk and exhilarating format that ought to leave everyone radiating the warm thin mist of anticipation. Until then!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic