Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 11:28:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPuipui to the Rescue!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Puipui to the Rescue!  (Read 9494 times)
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« on: June 01, 2011, 07:30:55 AM »

Long time no see TIGs! After finishing many small games, I've decided to spend more time and work on a bigger game. And here it is~

Puipui to the Rescue
Genre : Action/Puzzle
Platform : iOS/Android/Web

Story
Puipui the hedgehog is living a happy and peaceful life with his wife Foofoo. The only problem is that Foofoo is easily distracted and always end up in various places. This time, Puipui woke up and he found Foofoo curiously following a butterfly. Afraid that the love of his life might get hurt, he quickly went after her, and the adventure begins...

Characters

Puipui - Main character of the game. While he can be a scardy-cat sometime, he can risk his life if it's for Foofoo. Favorite food is worm.

Foofoo - Puipui's girlfriend. She has a habit of doing something out of the blue. With indifference expression on her face most of the time, nobody really know what she's thinking.

Gameplay
- Player need to help Puipui reach Foofoo in each level, while trying to avoid all the obstacles as well as getting worms, his favourite food, if possible.
- Player can roll Puipui in any direction as well as controlling Puipui's rolling power.
- While rolling, Puipui can switch between normal mode and spike mode. Each mode has different interaction with each object. Use these interactions to solve the puzzle and save Foofoo!

Screenshots

Gameplay Video

I made this game based on the hedgehogs that I have lol. Puipui and Foofoo have two kids now, so let's see how this one work out. If it's good then we might bring the kids in the next one or something Tongue
We made this game in Unity3D with the help of SpriteManager2, which I'd REALLY recommend it if you're going to make a 2D game on Unity3D  Smiley

Anyway, will update later with gameplay videos and stuffs!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:54:56 AM by Hima » Logged

BlueStainedRoses
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 09:49:51 AM »

This is pretty damn adorable. I wouldn't mind paying 0.99 cents in the app store for this (If you're planning to sell it.)

Anyway, from what you posted here, it seems pretty good. The character designs are simple but cute. The art style is amazing and from the screenshots it looks like a pretty solid puzzle gaming concept.

Keep up the good work!
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 07:18:01 PM »

Thanks! And yeah, we're planning to sell it. But there will also be a free version which is like a prologue to the shareware version. It will include its own unique puzzles, and will be available on the web. I'm thinking about putting it on Google Webstore or something.

This is my first time making a puzzle game ( as it non-action-puzzle like puyopuyo ) , so the level design is going a bit slowly. I'm trying to design a puzzle that isn't too easy, and with multiple solutions. 

Still need to fix some bugs but I'm looking forward to recording a gameplay video of the tech demo this evening. After I watch Kung Fu Panda2, of course  Tongue

BlueStainedRoses
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 09:01:12 PM »

Thanks! And yeah, we're planning to sell it. But there will also be a free version which is like a prologue to the shareware version. It will include its own unique puzzles, and will be available on the web. I'm thinking about putting it on Google Webstore or something.

This is my first time making a puzzle game ( as it non-action-puzzle like puyopuyo ) , so the level design is going a bit slowly. I'm trying to design a puzzle that isn't too easy, and with multiple solutions. 

Still need to fix some bugs but I'm looking forward to recording a gameplay video of the tech demo this evening. After I watch Kung Fu Panda2, of course  Tongue

I'll be waiting for just that, then. Honestly, puzzle games aren't my usual cup of tea. But the overall cute factor of this game won me over. Would love to see a gameplay trailer though, but for now enjoy your movie watching
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 06:25:28 AM »

Updated with a gameplay video! And Kung Fu Panda 2 was awesome :D Panda

Gameplay Video

BlueStainedRoses
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 11:10:55 AM »

Updated with a gameplay video! And Kung Fu Panda 2 was awesome :D Panda

Gameplay Video

still looks pretty solid, looks like it would be a really enjoyable game. And the whole feel of the game is really relaxing
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 11:59:02 AM »

Looking very good! The characters are adorable and I dig the art style. The music is really relaxing too. Keep up the good work!

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 06:02:35 PM »

Finally finished the level selection screen! The stage's title on the top is still a mock up though. Smiley

As for what have I been doing...
- Fix bugs. Lots of them. Game freeze, highscore not saving, etc. Ughhhh
- Retrying the stage is now much faster. Instead of re-loading the level, I use memento pattern and restore object's state. Playing game is not so frustrating anymore due to the shorter loading time
- Fix graphic quality on old iDevices and retina display devices, as well as on Galaxy S. Now the images are not blurry. Though the framerate on old iDevices dropped to 30 FPS, I think that is inevitable :/

We've also designed about 50 something levels. I'm in the process of testplaying and rearrange the order of levels as well as adjusting score for each star. The web version should be available around the end of this month. I'm thinking about using Chrome Webstore. Anybody has an experience in that? Do they accept non-U.S. developer?

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 04:59:59 AM »

Update with a new title screen!

It's animated. Puipui will keep rolling along with the background, showing all the places he will be visiting through out his journey to save his girlfriend :3

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 02:08:01 PM »

Very cute. Kiss
JasonPKaplan
Level 0

Never knows best.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 10:44:30 AM »

Nicely done! Do you mind if I ask what you used to record the video/trailer? I presume you're recording off the simulator.

Can't wait to grab a copy!

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 04:14:51 PM »

Nicely done! Do you mind if I ask what you used to record the video/trailer? I presume you're recording off the simulator.

Can't wait to grab a copy!
Thank you! Currently we're working on the boss level of the first stage/world. I can't wait to release the demo version No No NO

About video recording, we record the game from Unity editor, using Screenflow : http://www.telestream.net/screen-flow/overview.htm
Very good video recording/screen casting application and the price isn't too bad either. It record the whole screen though, so later you have to crop and make some edit by yourself. I use this with iPhone games I made with cocos2d as well, so it works well with iPhone simulator too.

If you're on Windows, then I'd recommend Camtasia or Camstudio. Camtasia is not free, but I think they release old version for free. And it was enough for me. Camstudio is totally free, but the performance is so-so in my opinion.

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 10:43:30 PM »

Been busy with work but I'll update things we have done on the project!

- Boss graphic & animation are finished
- The game is fully playable now!

Haven't worked more on the boss stage yet :/  Maybe I'll release it first to see how players feel about the game mechanic.

I realized my audio sense really suck...How can you know that the sound effect is good and fitting? Or rather, how can you find sound that fit your game? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 10:51:03 PM »

Why did I immediately imagine a hedgehog when I saw the word "Puipui"?

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 09:41:44 AM »

Why did I immediately imagine a hedgehog when I saw the word "Puipui"?
Good to hear :D That means it's a good name for a hedgehog then, hehe.

Spent time choosing sound effect today, so not much to show here. But we finished prologue and ending cutscene! The ending is obviously a spoiler so here's the prologue!

Bryant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 07:13:10 AM »

This game makes me miss my old hedgehog, Olivia Smiley Will there be toilet paper tubes? Smiley

Why did you choose to implement the game in Unity if you already had Cocos2D experience?

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 08:07:45 AM »

This game makes me miss my old hedgehog, Olivia Smiley Will there be toilet paper tubes? Smiley

Why did you choose to implement the game in Unity if you already had Cocos2D experience?
Hehe, there might be :D But they always get their heads stuck!

I chose Unity because I want to be able to play the game on Android as well. Also, it's easier to test and design levels in Unity editor, so I can leave the level design to one of my teammate.

Would like to try cocos2d-x actually, but it doesn't seems stable yet Sad

Jasper Flick
Level 2

Catlike Coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 03:11:25 AM »

Smiley The cuteness sure is there! When'll it be finished?

Unity is indeed fine for 2D games, made one with it myself and am working on another. The multiplatform thing is a big deal. Mac, PC, web, iOS, Android...

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 12:52:28 AM »

Haven't got time to continue working on this so might as well release it in the current state for feedback!

I'd love to hear what you guys think about the puzzle, game system, etc...

I'm planning on making the last stage a boss battle and you can't unlock it if you don't get enough stars in that specific chapter.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 01:15:17 AM »

Nice game with great visuals and sound effects. The gameplay works really well with the hedgehogs and it's just a very cute fun game, nice job  Gentleman

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic