Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:03:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)POLYCODE (2D and 3D engine)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: POLYCODE (2D and 3D engine)  (Read 27582 times)
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2011, 01:21:15 AM »

NOTE: THIS IS A REALLY OLD THREAD. POLYCODE IS ABOUT TO BE RE-RELEASED AS A STANDALONE APPLICATION. STAY TUNED!

Hello!

I am proud to announce the very first release of my own framework, which has been in development for over 3 years. It is both a C++ and standalone LUA framework, and hopefully it will make it very easy to do stuff that's normally kind of hard. It provides easy access to 2D, 3D, shaders, sound and a whole bunch of other stuff, which you can read about on the site.

Polycode started off around 2007 as a set of C wrappers around OpenGL to help load image files and display text and since then I have used it for pretty much every major project and added functionality when and where I needed it. Eventually, it grew into its own thing and went through a number of incarnation and identity crises, until, after adding LUA bindings to the main C++ core and cleaning it up, it began to congeal into what it is today.

I spent a long time working on a custom IDE for the LUA bindings, and the goal for a long time was to release Polycode as a single application, something akin to Unity or Processing. However, unhappy with every iteration of the IDE (I rewrote it 3 times, once in Cocoa, once in HTML and finally in Polycode itself, which is the current development version), I decided to release it with a set of standalone build tools, which will eventually be used as the backend for the IDE, which is in active development and is part of the github repository.

Polycode is by no means finished, and, despite my best attempts to clean it up before its first release, it is still full of bugs and inconsistencies. Some things are blatantly missing.

Still, I've done my best to clean it up, write documentation and explain how things work in a series of learning guides and despite its bugs and I hope that you find it useful and will join me in making this a successful open-source project.

The next steps for Polycode's development are going to be more cleanup and bugfixing, Linux port, iOS port (already in active development) and, of course, the standalone IDE. There are also a number of modules in the repository, which I didn't have time to polish enough to release, but that will be released over the coming days/weeks.

I am calling Polycode, "A framework for creative code" and though its game development roots are hard to miss, I hope that it is used for a variety of different things in the future! My hope is that it will be as useful to a hardcore C++ programmer as it will be to a newbie, just learning how to program.

Anyway, check it out and let me know what you think!

You can find it all here:

http://polycode.org/
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 07:49:49 PM by Ivan » Logged

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 01:27:50 AM »

Huge congratulations, Ivan! This has been a long time in the making, can't wait to put it to good use!  Smiley
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 05:12:26 AM »

One problem I see already, and this is already on your to-do list I hope, is that your code seems to have no const-correctness whatsoever.  That makes this pretty much unusable for me, and probably a lot of other C++ coders too.  As soon as one of my const members functions tries to access one of your objects, I'm screwed.

What would John Carmack do?
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 06:18:50 AM »

I heard your little murmurs about this two years ago - if I'm not mistaken you used an early version of this framework for your Assemblee entry, yes?

Anyway, following on Twitter! I am excited to try this out.
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 06:31:20 AM »

I'm currently looking through the tutorials you have written, and the simplicity of working with 3D is fantastic. It seems really easy to load up a 3D mesh, texture it and then animate it. I'll definately be giving this a go at some point!

Edit: And it comes with inbuilt particle systems!  Coffee

Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 06:36:58 AM »

Fantastic! I can see myself using the LUA bindings in game jams and such. I'll give it a shot soon.

Zaphos
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 06:56:02 AM »

Oh wow, great to see this coming out!

Also, cool to see there's a demo of a kinect module in the gallery (I guess the module itself is still 'coming soon'?) ... I'd love to have a convenient framework for playing around with a kinect, have some ideas I want to try playing with there Smiley
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 08:22:51 AM »

Thanks guys!

I hope you like it.

Average Software: I am doing a second round of a major clean up of everything again, and I'll put const-correctness on the list of things to do.

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 08:31:51 AM »

About to start a new project, this is more or less exactly what I think I need to do the things I need to do :O

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 05:02:23 PM »

Brilliant!

I saw this posted on reddit, I had no idea it was by a tigsorcerer, and I love the look of it!
It reminds me a lot of of openframeworks, and I LOVE the lua integration, and the idea of building it into a processing-like framework/ide (hopefully with a better ui).

What are you using for the physics? Is it a custom engine, or are you using box2d/chipmunk/bullet or whatever.
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 05:16:15 PM »

Bah I was working on something exactly like this.

Now I debate if I should finish or get accustomed to this.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 05:30:47 PM »

What are you using for the physics? Is it a custom engine, or are you using box2d/chipmunk/bullet or whatever.

Bullet for 3D, Box for 2D.
(website says so.)

I love this Grin!
I'm glad it's finally out publicly. I'll keep this in mind for future projects!

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 06:25:42 PM »

Finish it! The more the merrier!

Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 06:38:52 PM »

Finish it! The more the merrier!

I think I will.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 11:18:12 PM »

Of course you should!! Why is that even a question!!

Kunal
Level 1

is feeling Bit.Core.Trippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 06:50:11 AM »

This looks fantastic. Thanks a ton !

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 07:55:51 AM »

Looks amazing but the runner crashes on my computer(windows 7 64 bit).
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 08:19:25 AM »

Unfortunately there are some issues with 64-bit windows right now, hopefully will be fixed this weekend!

Snowdrama
Level 1

It, Happens...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 07:29:05 PM »

This Looks Really good, I May have to start my Learning of C Sooner then I had Anticipated. Ive been putting off learning C because I am Learning OGL with LWJGL in Java

Jeez did I really sign up 6 years ago?

Still making games. One day i'll get something done.

Tools: PHP/JS/HTML5/Unity3D/C#/LibGDX/Gimp/Photoshop
Nix
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 09:27:51 PM »

Cool stuff. The engine I'm working on currently is similar in that there is a C++ core and Lua "components" that all feed off of that core. Mine, however, is very specific to my game project and not at all meant to be a flexible game development tool. Fantastic job. I hope someone besides you uses this for something neat.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic