Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411524 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:37:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignWhy common sense is so hard to find in games?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Why common sense is so hard to find in games?  (Read 3665 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 12:18:57 PM »

That is true... you don't have to drop rewards for enemies fleeing as opposed to the players fleeing (and you could implement a similar flee-attempt cost that includes dropping some gold/items, and surviving one additional turn). That one-turn delay in fleeing gives the player a vital choice - finish them off, or go after another threat this turn. Although I also think a better example of this is random item/spell possession and usage would be a better example of this conditional AI, rather than just a fleeing one.

The 20-rabbits situation is also easily fixed a couple of ways: either group them into batches no bigger than 5 or so, or allow for a defend option that counter-hits attacking enemies for less (about 40-50% damage), thus giving it some actual strategic use (because you're outnumbered 20-to-1, assuming total aggro you'd get a lot more damage payoff this way - especially if you can use it to protect another offensive member of your party).

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 11:02:42 AM »

Oh, so you were using "common sense" to mean "Interesting creature behaviour".  Lips Sealed

Anyway yes, I love polished enemy behaviour. <3
In a project of mine for instance, I'm making a boss that is initially unimpressed with your player character's threats and just stands there taking your attacks for a short time looking bored, until he actually starts his attack routine and calls you weak.

...Unless you actually do a significant amount of damage, in which case he starts right away and comments something to the effect of "Oh, so you're serious".

I dig little touches like that.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:04:12 PM by Ben_Hurr » Logged
filosofiamanga
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2011, 01:37:39 PM »

Oh, so you were using "common sense" to mean "Interesting creature behaviour".  Lips Sealed

Anyway yes, I love polished enemy behaviour. <3
In a project of mine for instance, I'm making a boss that is initially unimpressed with your player character's threats and just stands there taking your attacks for a short time looking bored, until he actually starts his attack routine and calls you weak.

...Unless you actually do a significant amount of damage, in which case he starts right away and comments something to the effect of "Oh, so you're serious".

Yeah, you're right, but I still think those creature patterns (behaviours) should be "common sense" in their performance.

Now that we get right with the meaning of "common sense"...
I want to ask to others TIG fellows, what ideas they can come with that they think enemies should have.

I'll start, recentely I had the idea that in Shrumps (shoot'em ups) enemies could have diferent "behaviours" that work together, choosing them randomly when spawned.
Like this...

- MOVEMENT BEHAVIOUR:
   - Just falling
   - Moving from left to right and vice-versa, inversing their pattern when touching the screen edges.
   - The same as before but from top to down and vice-versa.
   - Moving in zig-zag (left to right) randomly.
   - Moving in circles around the player or the screen.
   - Chasing the player in near distance.
   - Chasing the player but maintaining a long distance.
   - Completely random.

- BULLET PATTERN:
   - No bullets.
   - 1 bullet.
   - 3 bullets.
   - A laser.
   - A danmaku pattern.

- MOOD:
   - Normal, shooting some then and now (random delay time).
   - Angry, shooting many bullets.
   - Shy, few bullets but avoiding player bullets.

- LIFE:
   - 1 hp (die with bullet contact).
   - 2 hp
   - random 3 to 6 hp.

- FENIX STAT.
   - Just simply a boolean value (random between 0 and 1) that spawn another enemie instead of the dead enemy.

I did that in a game maker demo, and It was like I expected, some complex and beatifull behaviours appeared, the game was challenging but no hard, and It became more fun, simply because the enemies were more "interesting" in their design.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic