Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:33:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Importing tilesets, how is it done?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Importing tilesets, how is it done?  (Read 1774 times)
medieval
« on: June 08, 2008, 10:26:15 AM »

Since I am kinda building the greatest and best game in the world (ehem) having little to no programming experience/knowledge to do it with, some questions occasionally pop up.

So I was wondering, what is a good way to import tilesets in parts into my game?

Oh, and apart from being unexperienced, I quite get the idea that I'm not really smart or even stupid when it comes to programming.

But I could be wrong.
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 10:37:02 AM »

It depends on what API you're using, but I'd assume you'd just take the sprite sheet and use source/destination blitting (or texture coordinates) to choose what part of the sprite sheet you're going to draw with.

MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 04:16:11 PM »

Oy, what's blitting?

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 04:52:52 PM »

Oy, what's blitting?

"Bit Block Transfer" or "Block Bit Transfer" depending on who you ask, or "painting large bits of bitmap data all at the same time without going through each pixel individually and working out what to do with it".

Wikipedia has pictures:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitting

These days, it's usually taken to just mean "painting a sprite onto another graphics surface", regardless of how that's actually done.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic