Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:52:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWii U
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 47211 times)
Sabby
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2011, 09:29:01 AM »

pls pls pls gimme a rundown of what is so fucking new of wii u. becasue i dont get it. so far it looks like it will have some pseudo hardcore titles. and that was fucking all. i dont even know what thw  screen in the controller does.

let's gain a little perspective here-

say you like nintendo. you know.. you like mario and shit. zelda. they're good games. you like good games. you like deep games. you like challenging games. you bought a wii... and you got kind of screwed by nintendo. seemed like they didn't really -care- about you. see.. you were missing out. you missed the good games unless you had a 360 or a ps3. unless nintendo showed you something, you were just gonna leave.

well. nintendo just showed you something.

furthermore- nintendo just showed your mom something. she wants her kids to be happy. she wants her kids to spend more time in the 'family' room. well, now her kids can play their games in there without disturbing anybody else. and her kids can still play games with her. and her older kids can still play good games. her older kids might even go 'yeah, you should get a wii u. it'd probably be best for the whole house.'

maybe /you/ don't care about wii u, and maybe a good chunk of the market doesn't.

but a /whole/ lot of the market is paying attention now. if nintendo follows through on this, they've got a winning strategy.

What are microsoft and sony trying to do? appeal to everybody. addons, man. things you have to go out and buy. plus, they're in danger of doing what nintendo kind of did. introducing a whole bunch of shit you didn't even really want, and telling you that you've got to play games with it. they're trying to appeal to everybody, and sony (at least) seems kind of screwed. the 360 looks like it's setting up to be your home 'everything' center, and the ps3.. is getting hacked.

so microsoft's presser.. showed a whole lot of kinect. core gamers don't like that. sony's presser.. I don't even remember. I remember a cheap 3dtv. woohoo. I don't want a 3dtv. nintendo's presser? damn.

Wii U

I think the above says it all.

What are you guys thinking?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 09:39:13 AM »

id be interested in the hardware specs. its great that the wii u can apparently run current ps360 games but will it also be able to run ps4/xbox whatever multiplat games in the future? if not, this is a really half assed and inconsequential attempt by nintendo to shut up whining "hardcore gamers" who bought a wii and as soon as next gen rolls around, theyre gonna retreat to their comfy casual/fanboy ghetto again.
Sabby
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 09:47:06 AM »

id be interested in the hardware specs. its great that the wii u can apparently run current ps360 games but will it also be able to run ps4/xbox whatever multiplat games in the future? if not, this is a really half assed and inconsequential attempt by nintendo to shut up whining "hardcore gamers" who bought a wii and as soon as next gen rolls around, theyre gonna retreat to their comfy casual/fanboy ghetto again.

mm- very interesting question. I think it begs another one- when are we gonna see the ps4 xbox 360-2? and next question- are they going to build in move/kinect support with those consoles? because I feel like they pretty much have to at this point, if they're really going to represent support for them. I mean, think about the kinect / move market that they're trying to hit, here. they're trying to win over those casuals/families/moms/whateva- if they're going to keep that up as a serious market strategy, then they'll have to keep showing support for move and kinect /and/ keep them interesting in the next generation
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 10:02:09 AM »

I'm excited for the WiiU. They genuinely surprised me with some of the functionality of the controller. When I heard that they were using a touchscreen for it, the obvious question for me was the problem of constantly looking back and forth between the television and the touchscreen. Nintendo addressed that issue rather nicely, and opened up all sorts of gameplay possibilities at the same time. I was also a little confused about how the backwards compatibility would work. Now I'm not, its obvious how that could be worked in.

The biggest issue for me was how badly Nintendo dropped the ball in the conference itself. They took for granted that the audience did not have all the information that they did. I wasn't even sure if they were revealing a new console, or just a new Wii controller for most of the presentation.

It will be very telling how the market response to this will be once we get a price point. If it's too expensive, people are going to gag on picking it up immediately. An advantage of the original Wii was how inexpensive it was compared to the other consoles. At the same time, this is the sort of console that they can pitch to casual gamers as well as core demographic gamers.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 10:18:49 AM »

mm- very interesting question. I think it begs another one- when are we gonna see the ps4 xbox 360-2? and next question- are they going to build in move/kinect support with those consoles?
I could imagine they will. I could also imagine that Sony and MS are going to put their next gen hardware out soon than what they claimed in the past. When the Wii U comes out it'll be leader in a field of one and I'm sure the other 2 arent going to allow that for long. And I'm also pretty sure they're going to try to keep Nintendo out of their " AAA hardcore" turf, including upgrading their hardware beyond the Wii U's capabilities.

I think we'll be getting two years of Sony/MS/Nintendo multiplat games tops.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 10:19:56 AM »

If the price is low enough, they will knock it out of the park.
They did something strange, new, and weirdly named, as they always do. Compared to "graphics + more Kinect" and "graphics + more Move", they're onto a winner.
I guess they realized with the Wii that the 'casual families' that they were targeting and Kinect and Move are now aiming at are mostly a myth, and it was really just kids that were snapping up the Wii. And now they have a hardcore Wii.

Also, a million silly name jokes is instant viral marketing

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 10:21:01 AM »

Its a big DS with the TV as the top screen

Can't really go wrong with that
shig
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 10:34:49 AM »

its probably going to be better than the wii at everything the wii does. it has motion sensoring without the completely awkward button placement and will be much better for aiming ingame
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 10:36:48 AM »

All moot as soon ps4 and xbox got onlive integration

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 10:51:21 AM »

So far, so neat. But: Who would want to play home console games using a blocky controller that only has circle pads instead of actual anlogue sticks? I'm sure the touch screen is at least going to be a nice gimmick for traditional games, but I would always favor a proper gamepad over that.

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »

They are apparently actual analog sticks, more akin to the Nunchuk's stick than the 3DS circle pads.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Nitromatic
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 10:56:03 AM »

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 11:19:32 AM »

They are apparently actual analog sticks, more akin to the Nunchuk's stick than the 3DS circle pads.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/-fx3fDjR23TE/Te5uPGzMSbI/AAAAAAAACcE/t0wWIO3N-dA/s1600-h/specMain%25255B1%25255D%25255B4%25255D.jpg
Look like typical, only slightly larger circle pads to me

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 11:23:52 AM »

You know what's best about the Wii U?

Sega could port

to it.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 11:36:13 AM »

Yup definitely pads. There's still time for redesigns tho.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 12:12:41 PM »

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 12:16:50 PM »

Nintendo offered the following loose technical specifications to Kotaku in a pre-briefing on Nintendo's Wii U.

High definition display, up to 1080p resolution via HDMI output

6.2" touchscreen on New Controller, running in non-HD resolution

Internal flash-based media storage, upgradeable via USB and SD cards

Games ship on proprietary iDensity discs of unspecified, but "large capacity"

Games will also be available as downloadable content

Console compatible with Wii games and devices

Release date between April 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012; or after the end of Nintendo's fiscal year

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »

While Nintendo normally doesn't like to talk numbers when touting a new system's capabilities, the companies providing those capabilities have no such qualms.

Like IBM, who today issued a press release boasting some of the Wii U's hardware specifications, including the fact the microprocessor serving as "the heart" of the console is a custom 45nm chip, with embedded DRAM that "is capable of feeding the multi-core processor large chunks of data to make for a smooth entertainment experience".

So, 45nm chip, multi-core processor. It's not everything, but it's a start. The chips will be made at an IBM facility in New York.

Additionally, IBM tells Engadget that the processor is based on the same technology used in the Watson supercomputer, the one that's been kicking human ass lately. It's not the same, of course, but is at least based on the same technology.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 12:24:44 PM »

Sounds like a real powerhouse and the bird tech demo they showed sure looked impressive. We'll have to wait and see for Sony and MS to announce their hardware tho.
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 12:27:22 PM »

This was my thought exactly. Seems like Nintendo's trying to push the "lots of different ways to use it" angle, but I'm mostly excited about the DS-like extra touch screen option.

Also reminds me a bit of Four Swords Adventures on the GC and how they used the GBA screen for hidden information there.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic