Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411527 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 09:52:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWii U
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 47231 times)
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: June 10, 2011, 02:55:58 PM »

They could remove some features from the tablets (like other people suggested) to make them more affordable. I don't see a good reason why they would absolutely NEED cameras or microphones for instance. Or why they couldn't make the screen a bit smaller.

It's possible that they included those to ensure connectivity to the 3DS. I recall Nintendo mentioning something about both of those devices working together for games or something. So I'd assume that's why, or perhaps at least part of the reasoning.

Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 10, 2011, 03:52:39 PM »

How to reduce WiiU controller price while retaining the features everyone cares about anyway: remove camera and mic.
AFAIK the cost of shit-tier cameras and microphones is basically negligible compared to small LCDs.

Anyway, none of this seems like a big deal to me. Nintendo releases new, overpriced hardware, packed with gimmicks of suspect functionality. Perhaps ten good games are released over the machine's lifespan, of which one or two actually make good use of the hardware. Nonetheless, ever-loyal fanboys, soccer moms, and hipsters love it. The world keeps turning.
Anarkex
Level 1

Still dope.

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 10, 2011, 07:58:35 PM »

i'd be a lot more optimistic about this whole controller thing if it were built as part of an arcade cabinet instead of a regular videogame console.

Close enough?

Snow
« Reply #163 on: June 10, 2011, 08:31:52 PM »

Unless this was mentioned, it would be interesting to play separate individual games on the controllers - so you could use them temporarily like a handheld console. Then when everyone got bored of 1 game, they could all play different games for a while. Another cool thing would be if you had muliplayer games being played on the controller and use the tv as a map or show progress of all players. This could be interesting.
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 10, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »

Man what the hell is wrong with just a regular freakin' controller with regular ass buttons on it. please ms/sony, make a console that goes back to the basics!

oh well. As long as the new Halo trilogy doesn't have motion controls, I'll be a happy camper.  Smiley

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 10, 2011, 11:13:15 PM »

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: June 10, 2011, 11:21:16 PM »

here's the leaked wii3 controller

it looks a bit complex so here is a diagram of its button configuration

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 10, 2011, 11:28:47 PM »

It's going to suck for fighters Shrug
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: June 10, 2011, 11:31:43 PM »

No matter how many times I see it I love the way the LHC looks. It's like something from a Megaman stage.

On the Wii U: So pumped. SO pumped. I figure a lot of developers won't use it to the fullest, but the ones who do will make things that are extremely cool. Also interesting is how the Zelda demo was rendered realtime, that in mind how good of a representation of the system's strength is it? Do we know solid specs yet?

filosofiamanga
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 11, 2011, 07:43:53 AM »

i'd be a lot more optimistic about this whole controller thing if it were built as part of an arcade cabinet instead of a regular videogame console.

Close enough?

Angry Angry Angry Angry FUCK, Why Japan has those great arcade machines.
Where I live we have those ugly and broken Xbox arcade clones that only has 4 buttons and work only with Kof 2002 magic plus II ultra shit.
 Evil Evil Evil Evil I want to play on that.
filosofiamanga
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 11, 2011, 07:48:06 AM »

I guess Wii U will be released on December 21 of 2012, so the world will end.
halk3n
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 11, 2011, 08:21:07 AM »

I wanna ask you guys something. Due to Nintendo's reasoning of keeping the "Wii" brand name for Wii U, do you think that maybe Nintendo is lacking some foresight on the current market situation?

My real question here is, are the Wii customers around anymore? Do they even exist? Was the Nintendo Wii more of a contemporary cultural/social phenomenon that has reached it's phase and is permanently dying off?

I feel like the Nintendo is treating these Wii customers as if they were hardcore gamers and that they'll gobble up this next piece of golden hardware. I believe that the Wii brand isn't as transitory as Nintendo desperately believes it to be.

I think for the first time (no wait, the second time), I'm a little worried about Nintendo's future.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: June 11, 2011, 08:25:30 AM »

wii is still the best-selling console i believe. not just in terms of total consoles sold but also in terms of how fast they are selling. for that reason they probably want to keep the wii name

yep, i just checked: wii's are still selling at double the rate of either the xbox or the ps3 -- both worldwide and in the US. if you add up the xbox360 sales and ps3 sales for any given week for the past few months they barely surpass wii sales when combined, some of the time

Theophilus
« Reply #173 on: June 11, 2011, 10:14:03 AM »

here's the leaked wii3 controller

it looks a bit complex so here is a diagram of its button configuration

wtf dood looks like an ipad
Slide20xl
« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2011, 11:50:08 AM »

FAN Mock up furry:

if you are too lazy to check kotaku, let's hunt internet for more

But while it's convenient, the hype has been killed now

Dear god. I don't really do RTS personally.. but the possibilities...
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 11, 2011, 01:11:05 PM »

The WiiU will work with Nintendo's current target market of "Non gamers", it's just a question of whether or not grandma and grandpa can be convinced to buy a WiiU when they can still play Wii Bowling on their Wii. If they do, Nintendo can repeat what they did for the Wii - target gamers with Nintendo's typical line of AAA titles based on established franchises, and lure in non-gamers with intuitive touch and motion controls.

What I'm not sure about - does Nintendo require developers to shoehorn in touch and motion in their games even if they don't quite fit? While a lot of games benefit from motion control (See my examples of Twilight Princess and Trauma Center above) there are lots of perfectly good game concepts that just don't need it at all. With the WiiU capable of making games that are graphically on-par with Xbox and PS3, developers might opt to make WiiU games that just ignore touch and motion in favor of traditional control schemes. Wiiware has some of this - titles like Megaman 10 and Final Fantasy: The After Years didn't use any motion control, even in the menus, but of course this were essentially ports.
JoeInky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: June 11, 2011, 01:13:55 PM »

Well, Nintendo didn't make 3D a requirement for 3DS games, so I don't see why it should be a requirement here.
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 11, 2011, 01:28:28 PM »

There are tons of Wii and DS games that don't require motion or touch controls, and they're usually better  Ninja

So no, Nintendo doesn't force anyone to use them.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: June 11, 2011, 01:29:43 PM »

nintendo also didn't force people to use the A, B, START, and SELECT buttons -- there are nes games that just use the directional buttons and perhaps a single action button. an example is pac man

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 11, 2011, 06:24:59 PM »

I'm so buying a pair of these Classic Controllers:

They're pretty much GameCube controllers  Kiss
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic