Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:42:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWii U
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 46717 times)
halk3n
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 11, 2011, 09:58:48 PM »

wii is still the best-selling console i believe. not just in terms of total consoles sold but also in terms of how fast they are selling. for that reason they probably want to keep the wii name

yep, i just checked: wii's are still selling at double the rate of either the xbox or the ps3 -- both worldwide and in the US. if you add up the xbox360 sales and ps3 sales for any given week for the past few months they barely surpass wii sales when combined, some of the time

Ok they still exist but are they easily transitive for the new hardware?
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: June 11, 2011, 10:32:24 PM »

nintendo also didn't force people to use the A, B, START, and SELECT buttons -- there are nes games that just use the directional buttons and perhaps a single action button. an example is pac man

Forcing button use makes no sense.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: June 12, 2011, 01:01:47 AM »

neither does forcing controller-waggy-touchy-shit?

Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: June 12, 2011, 01:05:38 AM »

Yah.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 12, 2011, 02:29:27 AM »

Nintendo has never forced anyone to use any of their novel control methods. In fact I can think of one first party game (SSB Brawl) doesn't require the Wiimote at all. Sin & Punishment 2, which iirc was published by Nintendo, doesn't require it either. Tho I guess you can add that to the list of games improved by motion controls.

Another good thing about the Wii is the ability to properly play all those lightgun games w/o needing to buy an expensive peripheral. I dunno I'm actually rather fond of the pointer capabilities of the Wiimote it's the waggle that sucks.

shig
« Reply #185 on: June 12, 2011, 03:38:33 AM »

i dont like aiming with the wii cause it's got an horrible lag
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 12, 2011, 04:08:23 AM »

Depends on the game. I haven't noticed any lag in S&P2, Metroid Prime 3 or Sega's arcade lightgun ports for instance.
eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 12, 2011, 04:30:07 AM »

Depends on the game. I haven't noticed any lag in S&P2, Metroid Prime 3 or Sega's arcade lightgun ports for instance.

It's not much, but it's there, some games do it better than others.

But there is a set amount of milliseconds you'll never get away from (which can be attributed to the lower quality hardware of the wiimote) and then on top of that you often have tv-sets optimized for non-interactive content.

It's the same reason you buy a proper computer monitor if you're a big fan of low-latency when using a mouse.

Then again, average joe wont care, he'll live with latency, and have their mice destroy their wrists.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 12, 2011, 04:37:29 AM »

I have never seen lag in my Wii remote. I have no idea what you guys are talking about.
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 12, 2011, 07:20:28 AM »

They're talking about input lag, bu that has nothing to do with the Wii remote. It happens with all non-PS360 consoles on HD TVs.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: June 12, 2011, 07:27:59 AM »

wii is still the best-selling console i believe. not just in terms of total consoles sold but also in terms of how fast they are selling. for that reason they probably want to keep the wii name

yep, i just checked: wii's are still selling at double the rate of either the xbox or the ps3 -- both worldwide and in the US. if you add up the xbox360 sales and ps3 sales for any given week for the past few months they barely surpass wii sales when combined, some of the time

Ok they still exist but are they easily transitive for the new hardware?

think of it this way: if you were selling about a quarter of a million consoles every week, would you change the name or keep it the same so it's recognizable to people who don't give a fig about game industry news the way nerds do? the wii is not only the best-selling console of the current generation, it's the 5th best-selling console in history, behind only the playstation 2, the nintendo ds, the game boy, and the original playstation

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 12, 2011, 07:32:32 AM »

They're talking about input lag, bu that has nothing to do with the Wii remote. It happens with all non-PS360 consoles on HD TVs.
Even if you use the Wii with a component cable?
mirosurabu
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 12, 2011, 12:55:54 PM »

What I'm not sure about - does Nintendo require developers to shoehorn in touch and motion in their games even if they don't quite fit?

The better question is - will Wii U games be promoted and sold better if they feature touchscreen novelties?

If the answer is yes, these games will most likely outnumber those other games.
eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 12, 2011, 01:01:40 PM »

It happens every time on a tv when there's some processing required on the image, such as upscaling, but most often every tv has a lot of expensive processing going on by default, which is why there's often a "game mode" setting to turn those off.

However, there is some lag related to the wiimote and motioncontrols in general. Pressing a button is translated as button being pressed, it's an easy calculation,
But sending the camera-data from the wiimote to the wii along with the accelerometer-data and then calculating the resulting information from it will take a bit longer before you have the end-result.

It's there, but there's a level of tolerance. Most people wouldn't accept the same degree of latency on their mouse-input.

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 12, 2011, 02:01:50 PM »

I swear I played through Metroid Prime 3 without even thinking about this lag even once. The pointer is perfectly fine to me. And again, I play my Wii on an old SDTV and all my games play 100% lag free. Playing something like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom or Brawl on a HDTV with input lag is one of the saddest experiences I've lived in my life  Sad
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 12, 2011, 02:05:19 PM »

As I said before, if you're playing on an HDTV you need a component cable. It removes the lag and the blurriness of the image.
Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

Working on unannouned fighting game.

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 12, 2011, 04:28:44 PM »

This console looks awesome, will probably be waiting on day one in a line somewhere to pick it up.

Toucantastic.
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 12, 2011, 04:34:38 PM »

@C.A. Sinclair: yup, it's a MUST for HDTVs. But I'm so OCD-like with that stuff that I just prefer playing on a SDTV Durr...? And component looks fantastic in my SDTV, the colors are much better and the image is definitely crisper. And this way I have a TV for my PS3 and another TV for my Wii, I like it like that. And I play all my retro consoles on the old TV too.
filosofiamanga
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 12, 2011, 06:17:19 PM »

SUMMARY: Wii U will be a success if It has good HD games that people can pirate and play for free.

TL:DR
Actually, I think the Wii U to be sucessfull, it needs first, a strong line up of games that excite people, like a new good and shiny Final Fantasy, a good Metal gear, a good Call of Duty, maybe a new Devil May cry, I would love to see a Gears of Wars in Wii U.
When I saw Electronic Arts (If I'm not wrong) saying they'll support Wii U, I was happy, because that means Electronic Arts fanbase (not fanboys) will bough their new Madden for Wii U, so... that's great (3rd party support).

Another bad reason will be to be able to play pirated games, you know why PS2 sold so many copies, right?
Yeah, in poor contries people will bough the console if they expect to get pirated games on it (Where I live no-one has a PS3 because they can't buy pirated copies), and you know why... because US60 for a new game is too expensive in poor contries (even in mine and my family is middle-class).

So, if you have good games and the games can be pirated, the console will sell like hot-cakes (Psone = pirated games / PS2 = pirated games / DS = I don't know but I think).

making the jokes appart, I think most people will be impresed and will buy the console is because of a game that will make them buy the console (Hardcore gamers) or they see something cool (Graphics, animation, new gameplay) and easy to do (like the casual Wii sports) so new people to gaming doesn't feel threatened.

If we see some games as cool as the mockups, many Dads and moms will be very intrigued by this new "gimmick" as you call it and will buy it, again it depends on the games and marketing.
I would say many of you will buy the console only for a sonic like in the mockup, at least I will (if it's like in the mockups).

If nintendo can make better good looking games than PS3/360 It can attract even the graphics whores and steal fanboys (again, it depends on the line up of games) of 360/PS3.
Again, nintendo needs again AAA games like a new GTA.

I would say nintendo has the chance to make a really successful console, the PS3/360 seems like old news and being "new" and a "innovative" (not all people even know about the ipas as you may think, dear geeks) scheme, maybe they can repeat a successful console, not as the wii (all depends is on the price to archieve that) but a very good chance for nintendo.

Casual gamers are impressed first and most by their eyes (not because of the gameplay, as you think they haven't played the better games of the game's genre they buy) so nintendo having a HD  console, and if they can produce as good looking games as the technical demo they showed, people will bought it instead of a PS3/360 mainly because of this new ipad screen will make them curious.

Think for a second... what will prefer a grandpa for their kids, an FPS like Halo they doesn't have a clue what is it and will think is too violent for their 8 years old grandsons or this new game with Mario galaxy (or a hopefully GTA) that makes them... Wow, I can touch the screen, amazing!!! and If I move the screen Mario will move, OH MY GOD, more amazing!!! and I can play my new Wii Sports, I have to buy this!!!

Yeah, Nintendo has a good chance this time.

But seriously, why the hate toward a console you even haven't tried in real life, nor it doesn't have it's first game, nor it doesn't have a good game yet. Geez, you're like those youtube fanboys throwing shit toward something new, maybe It can be as innovative as the Wii (again, it depends if it has a really new and innovative game).

Yeah, imagine a new Starcraft or Age of empires where one player has a Macro control, the other has a micro control, imagine a Team co-op versus online.
See how this can be really innovative for games, even if it's on old tech (innovative like google in our cellphones).

I really hope nintendo will make a shit-load of money, because I will hate if this become another dreamcast.
And who cares if this console doesn't sell like the wii and become the last when PS4/xbox720 arrives, All who matters for nintendo it's if the console make good profits, not arriving first in a non-existant race.

I though you were more smart, not just fucking fanboys.  Cool
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 12, 2011, 10:35:39 PM »

and I'm getting a Wii U at launch  Kiss That stage editor looks pretty fun, same with the character editing and face painting.

Tekken in my Nintendo
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic