Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411494 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58434 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 11:50:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWii U
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 47248 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 12:37:03 PM »

Yeah, it seems to expand on the idea of the Gamecube/GBA connectivity thing. I really liked that as a concept (and Four Swords Adventures was a great game), but it was marred by the high technical requirements. I never got the chance to play FS with more than 2 players. This time they're doing it right though.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 12:39:28 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLJIef-e-7g#t=3m45s
Nintendo trolling apple?

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 12:43:15 PM »

Sounds like a real powerhouse and the bird tech demo they showed sure looked impressive. We'll have to wait and see for Sony and MS to announce their hardware tho.

Don't hold your breath. Sony and Microsoft are both in it for the long haul on their current platforms. They invested too much in the original R&D and hardware to begin the cycle over at this stage.

Perhaps more importantly, they don't have to. Original Wii sales are starting to taper off. And even though there is plenty of potential to sell the new WiiU to current Wii owners, Sony and Microsoft have a strong leg up on Nintendo in terms of core gaming demographics. Even with equivalent hardware power, the WiiU is going to be playing catch-up in that regard.

I would expect it to be at least two more years before Microsoft or Sony announce successor platforms. Both the 360 and PS3 are doing better than ever in terms of hardware sales. They are just now beginning to ride the best, most profitable section of their product cycles. There's no reason for either of them to cut that short.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 12:45:30 PM »

"it responds to portrait and landscape rotations"

of course it fucking does, it feeds the ipad's video signal to the tv ffs  Facepalm

apple sure are masters at presenting the most boring, common functionality as new and innovative.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 12:52:32 PM »

It's not yet a public demonstration of the console, just show for professional and dedicate player, wait for first tv commercial to see how it click on general public

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 01:39:43 PM »

Incoming collection of thoughts:

Personally i think it sounds pretty cool.

Of course it will depend on how developers use the technology. It seems like most dev's don't spend much time utilising the hardware for gameplay elements, and would rather use it as "extra space" instead.
What i mean by this is that many DS games just use the touch screen to display a menu, or an inventory. Obviously there are exceptions (such as Henry Hatsworth).

Some sort of Pictionary game would work well, with each person drawing on their own controller.

I like the fact you can zoom in on the TV from the controller itself, also neat.

Also, being able to play console games as a handheld is sweet. Even if you are playing them in bed you don't have to get up to turn the console off, as you can just use the Wiimote.

One downside i can see if that a new controller will be very expensive.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »

the wiimote was already very expensive!

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 01:59:15 PM »

Even more expensive! Epileptic

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 02:01:21 PM »

Will this thing actually be in stores when it launches, or will this be another console that I have to wait eight months before I can get one without paying a scalper?
PowRTocH
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 02:04:49 PM »

cool another thing I won't buy
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 02:10:52 PM »

Very Stupid Men Design Very Stupid Dreamcast
Sabby
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 02:40:46 PM »

Even more expensive! Epileptic

True. and frightening.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 02:44:44 PM »

the wiimote was already very expensive!

If there was any one potentially limiting factor for the WiiU, (other than eventual price) this is it. Expensive controllers don't prevent me from buying consoles, but they certainly prevent me from utilizing them for multi-player early on. This was actually why Wii Sports was so ingenious. Most of the games you could play for that were turn-based, and could effectively be played by a group with a single Wiimote.

That screen controller looks quite expensive, and I can't imagine it going for any less than $70. Most controllers that have no screen at all go for $50+ these days. Even the Wiimote still goes for $40. (with an additional $20 for the Nunchuck)

If I do pick up a WiiU at launch, I am not going to buy multiple tablet controllers.

This is somewhat offset by Nintendo making it possible to use existing Wii accessories with the WiiU. That is a brilliant move that will help the console's early adoption. Of course, the onus lies on developers to actually provide options for multiple control schemes. Not all developers will be willing to invest the extra time and effort.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 02:47:05 PM »

Considering how much they seem to be pushing local multiplayer, maybe it'll come with two controllers out of the box?
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 02:54:08 PM »

Considering how much they seem to be pushing local multiplayer, maybe it'll come with two controllers out of the box?

It's nice to dream. But I really, REALLY don't see that happening. Accessories are where most of the money is made. It's why Microsoft is so stoked about Kinect's progress, and why Sony isn't going to drop support for the Move. Both those initiatives make those companies fat profit, while they had to take a bath on the original console hardware.

The Wii's controller structure earned Nintendo a metric shit-ton of cash. The total controller package for the Wii would run any family more than either of their competitor's controllers. There will be only one touchscreen controller in the box. But any family picking up a WiiU will lay down the extra cash to get a second controller.
keramago
Level 0

i killed a man irl

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 02:58:05 PM »

they'll probably have bundles with 2 wiiu controllers. and they'll be more expensive

also it's pretty likely most of the multiplayer games they make will also use wiimotes(like they showed in those other prototypes)

~*~*~ i am cat ~*~*~~*~*~ i am cat ~*~*~
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 03:12:02 PM »

It could be possible they still want to support the Wii controllers, and provide one of each with the console.  Kind of weird to go through the trouble of making the Wii Motion Plus just to phase it all out in the next system.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 03:31:54 PM »

I thought the Wii Motion Plus was a commercial failure?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2011, 03:37:26 PM »

Not really base on wii sport resort alone (bundle with a WM+)

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2011, 04:05:28 PM »

When Skyward Sword requires Wii Motion they will sell a lot of them. Or have to bundle it. I will buy one for that.

I'm feeling optimistic about the WiiU. I feel like the controller has the potential to take some classic franchises like Zelda and make them feel more cinematic by moving the whole UI to the controller. I really would have loved to have single-console multiplayer with separate, hidden UI on the controller back in the SNES days when online wasn't so prevalent. Now I can get the same effect by playing online with friends. I'd actually prefer if more games on the Wii had online co-op. Why must all multiplayer be death match?

I'll save my thoughts on aiming with the touch screen for when I play it. After Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3 I was convinced the Nunchuck + Remote setup was the ideal way to aim and shoot in any game. I was in heaven when I could use the bow in Twilight Princess with flawless accuracy without resorting to lock on. That sold me on the wii remote.

I'm a little worried that non-gamers won't buy into getting something other than a Wii. Their Wii still lets them play Wii Bowling twice a day, and dropping $250 for a system with better graphics seems like a tough sell. But... if the WiiU sells like the Wii I see that becoming the console of choice for 3rd party sellers. Why develop your AAA game for the XBox720 kickflip when you can put it on the WiiU when it has far better saturation? I'm not sure if that would ultimately be good or bad to the market if Nintendo managed to get a stranglehold, though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic