Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:38:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWii U
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 47210 times)
eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 12, 2011, 10:55:20 PM »

Another bad reason will be to be able to play pirated games, you know why PS2 sold so many copies, right?
Yeah, in poor contries people will bough the console if they expect to get pirated games on it (Where I live no-one has a PS3 because they can't buy pirated copies), and you know why... because US60 for a new game is too expensive in poor contries (even in mine and my family is middle-class).

The ps2 had the entire market, from obscure niche games to the hardcore market and even the casual market with singstar and every other kind of party game, it was the massive success that console makers only dream of.

The 360 is as easily pirate'able as the ps2, but it's not having the exact same success.

Yeah, imagine a new Starcraft or Age of empires where one player has a Macro control, the other has a micro control, imagine a Team co-op versus online.
See how this can be really innovative for games, even if it's on old tech (innovative like google in our cellphones).

You can play two players controlling the same base and units since the first game, nothing new there.
It can be as innovative as anything, developers will hopefully be innovative with the controller, but it's not something nintendo can control.

I though you were more smart, not just fucking fanboys.  Cool

Hah, the irony, go read your post again Tongue

halk3n
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 13, 2011, 07:08:22 AM »

wii is still the best-selling console i believe. not just in terms of total consoles sold but also in terms of how fast they are selling. for that reason they probably want to keep the wii name

yep, i just checked: wii's are still selling at double the rate of either the xbox or the ps3 -- both worldwide and in the US. if you add up the xbox360 sales and ps3 sales for any given week for the past few months they barely surpass wii sales when combined, some of the time

Ok they still exist but are they easily transitive for the new hardware?

think of it this way: if you were selling about a quarter of a million consoles every week, would you change the name or keep it the same so it's recognizable to people who don't give a fig about game industry news the way nerds do? the wii is not only the best-selling console of the current generation, it's the 5th best-selling console in history, behind only the playstation 2, the nintendo ds, the game boy, and the original playstation

It's not the name I'm concerned about but rather, the customers that aren't interested in a revision regardless of the iconic brand title.
filosofiamanga
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 13, 2011, 09:13:11 AM »

The ps2 had the entire market, from obscure niche games to the hardcore market and even the casual market with singstar and every other kind of party game, it was the massive success that console makers only dream of.

The 360 is as easily pirate'able as the ps2, but it's not having the exact same success.

PS2 was cheap as hell or at least everyone could afford it, but It was the games and the huge amount of games that really sold the console, also you could bough them pirated, almost no-one (where I live) had original copies, just "violets" DVDs.
But that wasn't the entire reason, I say It was a huge reason, but not the only one, people also bough with the console a DVD player, a Music player, "a PSone compability".
Also, being a lower powerhouse and selling like hot-cakes, allowed for much cheaper budget games (more games).

Yeah, imagine a new Starcraft or Age of empires where one player has a Macro control, the other has a micro control, imagine a Team co-op versus online.
See how this can be really innovative for games, even if it's on old tech (innovative like google in our cellphones).

You can play two players controlling the same base and units since the first game, nothing new there.
It can be as innovative as anything, developers will hopefully be innovative with the controller, but it's not something nintendo can control.

Yeah, nothing new, but It's a new "use" or "way" to use the same old tech that makes it innovative.
Like you said, it depends on the developers, hopefully (I said it) we get something like the mockups, also I would like to see the HUD hiden in the ipad, so we get a much more "cinematic" experience (and inmersive), but the developers should be aware of the risk, making things like the character reacting to low life (like in Resident Evil 3) and stuff like that, so you can't break too often that ilusion.

I think this console will be as innovative as when we got Internet in our cellphones (nothing new, just a new use).

I though you were more smart, not just fucking fanboys.  Cool

Hah, the irony, go read your post again Tongue

Yeah, I considered myself a fan, not a fanboy, I like all consoles, I like Microsoft and his XNA, I also like Sony (I love PS2). And I think all consoles have worthy games (All: since Atari 2600, NES until PS3/360/Wii).
But I don't like when people say the control scheme is a failure because It has the buttons up and the stick down and they haven't played the dammed thing, Geez. Because I love even the N64 control (although It was odd and I can't use some buttons like the D-pad and L-button, but I still like it).
Yeah, maybe you didn't like a console or a game, but saying it's going to fail or acting as if you would love to see it fails to prove your point, I see it a little childish.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:21:50 AM by filosofiamanga » Logged
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 13, 2011, 09:29:52 AM »

It's not the name I'm concerned about but rather, the customers that aren't interested in a revision regardless of the iconic brand title.
Just have in mind Wii sales syrocketed last holidays because they released a red Wii. So this may not do that bad considering it's an actual revision as long as it's priced decently and has a good launch line up.
Theophilus
« Reply #204 on: June 13, 2011, 09:37:29 AM »

I remember seeing images of all kinds of colors of Wii, and they never released them in America, or in Japan, AFAIK.
filosofiamanga
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 13, 2011, 09:46:12 AM »

Lol, today a news local chanel talked a little about Wii U, they saw it like second coming of jesus.  Cheesy
They said Nintendo has made a big "gol" (goal in soccer) making a new "Wii", It was fun because they didn't say "Wii U" just a "New Wii".
They didn't show almost nothing, not even the E3 Nintendo presentation.
But that show me It was a great idea to keep the name Wii, people associate it with an actual generation instead of the word nintendo which make them buy NES clones.

SUMMARY: Yeah, I think old wii users will upgrade their old wii if they see "added new value" like being HD and the ipad.

Beginning TL:DR...
Just think for a second what a non-gamer or non-geek will think of this "new wii" when they see it on their TV news (CNN, fox news) and the publicity of nintendo, just think what a mom or dad will think when they saw an ipad as the control.

About converting Wii users, I think grandma and grandpas, moms and dads, after played their Wii sports or another Wii games they saw videogames are not bad and they can also enjoy them, so they'll bough more just to play with their childs. If nintendo can target this new "middle gamers" (casuals that start showing interest in videogames) and show them this "new wii" is a worthy investment because they'll get more of the "old experience" they seek plus new features like the ipad screen, motion controls, being HD, having internet conectivity, I'm pretty sure they will upgrade, just like when people upgraded from SD to HD tv because they see It was a worthy investment (better graphics).
About the price, if people saw it as a worthy investment (again, investment of new experiences) they doesn't matter too much the price, look at the ipad, after all they think is a "worthy" luxury they want.
Ending TL:DR
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: June 13, 2011, 09:47:43 AM »

What about a game where one player plays an FPS on the TV and the other plays an Hospital Management game on the WiiU controller and he has to make sure that the hospital can take care of all the people that are hurt by the FPS player!?  Big Laff

filosofiamanga
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 13, 2011, 09:55:08 AM »

and I'm getting a Wii U at launch  Kiss That stage editor looks pretty fun, same with the character editing and face painting.

halk3n
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 13, 2011, 10:33:50 AM »

What about a game where one player plays an FPS on the TV and the other plays an Hospital Management game on the WiiU controller and he has to make sure that the hospital can take care of all the people that are hurt by the FPS player!?  Big Laff

There is potential for genre fusions next gen with this tech. It could be interesting.

Hopefully we'll be able to get Pac-Man Vs. on Wii UWare.
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 13, 2011, 11:08:25 AM »

@filosofiamanga: You're using TL;DR wrong. TL;DR is the short version of your wall of text post, not the other way around. Example:

I swear I played through Metroid Prime 3 without even thinking about this lag even once. The pointer is perfectly fine to me. And again, I play my Wii on an old SDTV and all my games play 100% lag free. Playing something like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom or Brawl on a HDTV with input lag is one of the saddest experiences I've lived in my life

TL;DR: There is no Wii remote lag.

I wonder if the controller will add something to the Virtual Console games other than simply streaming the game to the screen. And I also wonder if I'll be able to transfer my Wii VC games to my Wii U.
Demon Lizardman
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 13, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »

Shame Beyond good and evil 2 is not coming on it.
http://www.videogamer.com/news/wii_u_is_not_next-gen_says_michel_ancel.html

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 13, 2011, 02:01:31 PM »

He says "Wii U is next gen in terms of interface". If interface doesn't count, what does count as next gen?
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 13, 2011, 02:11:34 PM »

Power and processing speed, the same factors which have always been historically used to distinguish one generation from another and group consoles together?

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 13, 2011, 03:39:33 PM »

Wii U: the next Sega Saturn?
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 13, 2011, 03:43:27 PM »

Let's suppose Wii U bombs hard. Virtual Boy levels of bad. Do you see Nintendo becoming a handheld-only gaming company?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 13, 2011, 03:46:24 PM »

Seeing as the DS is about 500 times better than the Wii in terms of game library, I'd have no issues with that.
Theophilus
« Reply #216 on: June 13, 2011, 05:27:33 PM »

If that does happen, it's a good thing Smash Bros. is coming to 3DS.
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 13, 2011, 05:42:50 PM »

Nintendo making only handhelds would suck because sometimes I want to play games in glorious HD on a TV not just on the go. Imagine if the only way you could experience Super Mario Galaxy was on a 4" screen lol (or a 400x480 combined screen upscaled/resampled to HD resolution for TVs).

WiiU will not bomb. The brand recognition of the Wii will be enough for kids to want it even if the "core audience" moves away and doesn't buy it (which probably won't happen given how it looks better than everything else on the market for now, and Nintendo's getting back some third-party support). It's more like the Dreamcast than the Saturn anyway, in design at least.

Also the WiiU is literally a large scale 3DS except for the 3D (every gimmick/feature is there) so why are we still getting console franchises shifted to 3DS portable exclusives Sad

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: June 13, 2011, 06:55:24 PM »

I could imagine a future iteration of the DS with a 16:9 upper screen that can be streamed in HD to a normal TV set.

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 13, 2011, 09:14:32 PM »

Bad photoshopping aside, I really want to see a non-white Wii U. Preferably blue:

Please Nintendo, please Beg Wii got black and red colors last year, don't do the same with Wii U and launch with at least two colors.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic