Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:36:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCube World - Voxel-Based Exploration RPG [WIP]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Cube World - Voxel-Based Exploration RPG [WIP]  (Read 87037 times)
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2011, 07:00:56 AM »

This looks really impressive. But without textures, I think the different surfaces do end up looking a bit too similar to each other. For a different kind of shading, have you thought about reducing the shadow effect on some surfaces? For example the strong shading looks good on the trees, since it brings out their uneven, knobbly shape. But it can look a little distracting on the hills and the clouds, especially when they are far away. Maybe more even lighting would make them look smoother?

wollay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2011, 12:45:04 PM »

Thanks. I tweaked the shading to be brighter and sunnier and added a secondary directional light. I hope the different voxel colors are better distinguishable now. But you don't need to  mine those blocks anyway to get materials or the like - so you don't need to distinguish them. Wink

About the shadow effect: I tried to reduce the overall effect but that made the scene really flat, or pastel-like. I could do it locally at the hills but I actually like the effect which emphasizes that the world consists of cubes. Smiley

I also changed the cloud shading by simply giving them a very shiny light blue color.

Here are new screens:

Cunnah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2011, 01:56:54 PM »

much better, I still feel there's something missing (bloom or what not can't really say) but those clouds a real improvement.
e-dog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2011, 02:27:51 PM »

Looks much better with new shading, and your voxel sprites are nice!

I usually use smoother shading for things like clouds to simulate subsurface scattering effect.
That is, instead of
Code:
saturate(dot(normal, light))
I use
Code:
dot(normal, light)*0.5+0.5
It gives the same 0..1 range.
A simple trick, but looks really nice sometimes.
wademcgillis
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2011, 05:40:11 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

http://kotaku.com/5811678/green-blocks-an-open-world-and-a-sword-in-your-hand
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2011, 05:52:04 AM »

Looking really good, can't wait to play this one.  Hand Metal Left

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
wollay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2011, 06:29:25 AM »

@wademcgillis: Thanks. I'm really stunned to see it there (and on RPS). And it's interesting how they rip it (not sure if you can say that in english) in the comments. But I guess they think it's already a full game and not one which one indie developer started 3 weeks ago. oO But I also get lots of positive feedback. That's nice! Smiley

@Destral: Nice to hear that! Smiley

@e-dog: Thanks I'll try that.

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2011, 07:03:38 AM »

Ignore the youtube comments they do even understand that this game isn't finished. The RPS comments look positive though. Anyways keep up the good work. I won't be surprised if you beat out both minecraft and terraira before long.
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2011, 07:54:32 AM »

The majority of comments on both Kotaku and RPS are retarded.
Yes, the game looks a bit like Minecraft, theres no need to be ridiculously sarcastic about it.

Besides - this is purely voxel based, and far prettier. It also seems to draw more inspiration from 3D Dot Game Heroes than Minecraft.

Conker534
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2011, 11:42:21 AM »

Nope, if a game uses squares it copied MC, because Minecraft invented it, oh did you know Minecraft also invented Mining and it invented and copywrited 3D.

wollay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2011, 01:11:20 PM »

I guess you guys are right. I'll just try to continue as before.

poe
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2011, 01:19:24 PM »

I guess you guys are right. I'll just try to continue as before.

They complain and complain until they get what they want, which is a release. When they get it they shut up.

But don't cater to them, release when you're ready!
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2011, 03:34:20 PM »

I'm just hope for this to beat Skyrim with the ability to jump and what not.
CoreDumped
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2011, 02:24:10 AM »

Nice.  I see you have Ambient Occlusion.   Is this AO faked in vertex colors or is it calculated in each frame as a post processor filter?
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2011, 02:32:43 AM »

Nope, if a game uses squares it copied MC, because Minecraft invented it, oh did you know Minecraft also invented Mining and it invented and copywrited 3D.

It's that after the huge success that Terraria had mostly for jumping on the bandwagon, those who seeked originality in Indie Games are a bit upset at this trend of exploiting trends.
So... if the OP can prove that he has a solid idea behind all of this, and that it could exist without being a quote of minecraft or worst a "3D Terraria", it's ok.
Else I'm with the sarcasm, because I too hate "minecraft clones".

Btw the graphics are exceedingly neat  Gentleman

wollay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2011, 08:13:15 AM »

@CoreDumped: It's faked in vertex colors.

As RichMakeGame suggested before, I have now experimented with the voxel resolution. I found that increasing the resolution by 2x2x2 still gives good frame rates and that everything looks more detailed. I'd love to hear you opinions about it, screenshots below:

poe
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2011, 10:50:47 AM »

Man I can't wait to play this game...
Conker534
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2011, 12:01:08 PM »

Beautiful
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2011, 12:10:33 PM »

The smaller voxels definately suit the style better.

I still feel as though the world should be more vibrant, it looks very grey at the moment, what with all the rock!

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2011, 12:43:42 PM »

awesome Smiley

totally agree on the colours though.

If I could recommend an exercise for you, search out google images, getty images, flickr etc for terms like 'amazing landscape' 'crazy landscape' 'beautiful landscape' and create yourself a reference folder of far out and awesome landscape pictures, then see if you can replicate some of them in your engine.

at the mo it's a bit: rock, that should be grey, ok: .5,.5,.5. sky, it's blue isn't it.. 0,0,1. trees are green! 0,1,0 etc Tongue. It definately has heaps more potential!

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic