Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 08:18:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCube World - Voxel-Based Exploration RPG [WIP]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Cube World - Voxel-Based Exploration RPG [WIP]  (Read 87082 times)
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2011, 05:29:34 AM »

just a thought, I think it might be nice to have a feature where you can just hold a direction and if you're about to hit a 1 block height increase it jumps just enough for you to make it, so you can run around freely.. one of the things that strikes me about minecraft is you have to jump *everywhere*

especially with the smaller blocks, I think it'd be nice to just be able to run around freely without spamming jump. you'd still need to jump to get around trickier terrain, i just mean for the flatter areas

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
poe
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2011, 06:32:51 AM »

just a thought, I think it might be nice to have a feature where you can just hold a direction and if you're about to hit a 1 block height increase it jumps just enough for you to make it, so you can run around freely.. one of the things that strikes me about minecraft is you have to jump *everywhere*

especially with the smaller blocks, I think it'd be nice to just be able to run around freely without spamming jump. you'd still need to jump to get around trickier terrain, i just mean for the flatter areas
Love that idea.
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2011, 07:58:00 AM »

Love that idea.
indeed!

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
wollay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2011, 08:17:07 AM »

Ok, I'll try that. Maybe a short climbing animation instead of a jump would be cool.

Jonp382
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2011, 08:22:51 AM »

Looks really cool. I'm going to be watching this one!
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2011, 10:26:05 AM »

wollay: maybe the climb will work, but I guess I was wanting the feeling of say zelda when you can just run about a landscape freely. I have the feeling climbing will still give a stop/start feel to moving around

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2011, 02:05:19 PM »

yeah, uninhibited movement would certainly feel better, especially with it being 3rd person.

the trees look better with a bit of an underhang, but i think it would be better still with longer roots that hang down the mountain side.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2011, 02:49:36 PM »

This looks gorgeous!

I think the cliffs and hills might look a little too blocky though? What do you think about making the terrain voxel based, but having the trees, houses, characters, etc.. all out of cubes?
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2011, 03:17:10 PM »

The water is awesome! Love the subtle splash effect.

I still feels as though the game could have more colour though, i think if you added different coloured flower patches (red, blue etc.) it would help to alleviate the amount of grey and green.

Keep up the great work!

wollay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2011, 04:24:17 PM »

You're right about the roots and coloured flowers, I will work on that.

@poe
Yes, NPC's should have houses, I'm even planning villages! :D

@happymonster
Do you mean a true voxel engine based on raycasting for the terrain? I'd rather stay with the all-cubes concept since everything is based on it, like the world generator, collision and destructible environments. The Cube World is just a blocky place. Smiley

poe
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2011, 04:27:49 PM »

Procedural generation EVERYWHERE. Any chance this game will be moddable? That's where past games of the 'genre' have failed (Minecraft, Terraria)
wollay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2011, 04:55:34 PM »

@poe
I'm not sure. I'm just making the game that I always wanted to make, which is not a game to make other games out of it. To be honest, I don't like the idea of my game being modded. I want Cube World to be as I have designed it. Like when you have finished a painting, you don't want others to change something on it. Smiley

rogerlevy
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2011, 08:52:40 AM »

It's pretty but please think of a better name.
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2011, 09:38:12 AM »

@poe
I'm not sure. I'm just making the game that I always wanted to make, which is not a game to make other games out of it. To be honest, I don't like the idea of my game being modded. I want Cube World to be as I have designed it. Like when you have finished a painting, you don't want others to change something on it. Smiley

word

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2011, 02:24:04 PM »

i have just discovered this little interview Smiley
http://www.diygamer.com/2011/06/cube-world-uncovered-minecraftzelda-inspirations-interview/

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
filharvey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2011, 06:05:42 AM »

I have a similar sort of engine which I was working on a couple of months ago for the iOS platform as well as windows.

http://www.acemobe.com/pixelworld/index.html

The worlds are not quite as large as yours. But it runs at 60fps on the iPhone 3GS.

Phil
Conker534
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2011, 09:36:33 AM »

I have a similar sort of engine which I was working on a couple of months ago for the iOS platform as well as windows.

http://www.acemobe.com/pixelworld/index.html

The worlds are not quite as large as yours. But it runs at 60fps on the iPhone 3GS.

Phil

Huh??

This thread isn't about your game.
namragog
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2011, 10:10:09 AM »

Ohmygosh. Ohmygosh. I love the art style. I need this game.  Kiss Kiss Kiss
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2011, 01:43:27 PM »

Wolfram von Funck is seriously the most amazing name i have ever heard.

wollay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2011, 01:53:24 PM »

Beer!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic