Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:37:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallCrystal Towers 2 (Windows)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Crystal Towers 2 (Windows)  (Read 2568 times)
DavidN
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 10, 2011, 07:16:39 PM »

It's finished... finally. That took ages.

Crystal Towers 2 is - as concisely as I can put it - a 90s-styled hub-based sort of Metroidish-Mario 64ish platform game that was started in 2007 and has since been dragged successfully through every patch of Multimedia Fusion 2 that has ever been released. It's technically the sequel to my first big platformer project, released in 2005, but it's so different from it now that it might as well be completely separate.

Here's the game's introduction - as Bernard the monk, your task is to recover the eight Music Crystals and restore harmony to the world, by exploring and gathering new items to get stronger and discover new abilities.

The free edition lets you explore up until the second boss. The full version is just $5 through Fastspring, and opens up the whole Music Castle, giving you close to 300 challenges through 33 levels and 14 bosses. You can choose to automatically upload your progress through the game to the site, and embed your scorecard in your site or signature. (I promise this was quite a novel idea when I started the game four years ago!) If you decide to get the full version, your save will carry over from the free one.

On my special thanks list are Adam Lobacz, Hempuli, Chris Street, Crassadon, Hayo Van Reek, Jamie Newton, Jared McComb, J Freude, Kjorteo, Ravenworks, Rakarr, Susi Woofter and Whitney Leader-Picone (these may or may not be their real names) for various graphics and testing contributions - I couldn't have done something this size without them.

It's a Windows game, but has been tested successfully on Linux with WINE. If you're on a Mac, though, you're on your own!

http://www.crystaltowers2.com

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 12:53:44 AM »

great work david! congrats! Gentleman
really cool to see this game finally finished Smiley

for those of you who are interested how the first stages look:
here's a gameplay video that i found on david's youtube channel...

0:00 - 1:07 (castle)
1:07 - 2:18 (stage: walnut creek a)  
2:54 - 3:54 (stage: iron works a)  

oh and here's another

moreover i also highly recommend david's previous platformers that i have already mentiond on pixel prospector:
special agent and treasure tower

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:09:37 AM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Ichigo Jam
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 12:23:10 PM »

I'm a bit of a sucker for crafting and subquests/challenges, and I like platform games, so this is right up my street!

While I could critique the graphics, the fact you've actually released a big game like this (and it's fun to play!) kind of outweighs any minor complaints. The music is good too.

One small request: could you do a fullscreen option for 640x480? (my laptop doesn't cope with 320x240 fullscreen very well due to being crappy)

Oh, and the game often drops to half speed in the castle hub area. But that doesn't affect gameplay much so it's not a big issue.

My progress:
Aloshi
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 01:57:20 PM »

Oh man, I found this yesterday, and have been having so much fun with it! It's like some sort of mix between a Metroidvania and a Sonic game (speaking of Sonic, the music really reminds me of the Genesis Sonic games). It's also the longest demo I've seen in a while. I love the price, too; I'll be buying once I've got some extra money. I've had no problems with the game so far, though I am finding it to be pretty difficult in some places...Walnut Creek A's gems are pretty tough for the first level.

Good work!

(Oh, and here's my progress)
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 10:58:25 AM »

finally the press noticed the release of crystal towers 2  Smiley

http://indiegames.com/2011/06/crystal_towers_2_released.html
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/15/celestica-crystal-towers-2/

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic