Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 02:30:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSkullgirls
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Skullgirls  (Read 54540 times)
Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2011, 10:36:22 AM »

Just... Just don't pull the Soul Calibur IV stunt all over again, okay?
HEY! Soul Calibur IV is OK since all the men are just as slutty. Look at Voldo.
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »

Actually, and I really don't want to keep this argument going, if you spend some time on a Tekken forum you'll notice there are lots of girls who are there exclusively to fangirl the males in the series and invent yaoi relationships between them. So it goes both ways I think.

Fighters tend to have hot curvy women and athletic shirtless guys. I mean look at my avatar, Lucas is such a stud  Durr...?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:26:20 PM by Rm88~ » Logged
EssentialNutrients
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2011, 03:06:29 PM »

i have been following this game since like, '06 and i am so happy seeing how far along it has come, and i would even be willing to pay full retail price for this game.

peacock 4ever
Dragonmaw
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2011, 06:26:10 PM »

Joe, inflamatory posts are not leading you anywhere.
I'm Super Joe

I'm warning you know for impersonating a former forum member. You are clearly Superb Joe, not Super Joe.
shig
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2011, 04:02:28 AM »

hey dargonmaw, tell us about your past involvement with skullgitls' development.

what did you do? how did you get to do it?
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2011, 04:37:12 AM »

Fighters can pull off all-female and m/f balanced casts just fine. Cases in point include NGPC's "Gals Fighters," "Vanguard Princess," and I can't recall the actual title, but there's a Touhou fighter game out there, too. Pretty fun/pro one, at that. Usually, a female-centric cast results as a decision of art style more than an effort to attract weaboos (which just happens to be a consequence of doing so). I mean... does Sonic The Hedgehog having a cast of 90% animals mean that it was developed for furrys?

Now, somebody post some boobs on this page before we all get back to thinking again.

im9today
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2011, 04:42:20 AM »

I mean... does Sonic The Hedgehog having a cast of 90% animals mean that it was developed for furrys?

the way you formed that it almost seems like a question
filosofiamanga
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2011, 08:24:06 AM »

I wonder why all-girls seems to "turn off" completely heterosexuals mens?
Maybe it's because they're insecure?

But joking apart...
What do you think about the art style?
Yeah, that decision of mixing oriental and occidental styles.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2011, 08:48:12 AM »

Back when I was a little kid hanging out at arcades with my buddies, you couldn't play as a female character in fighting games (or any other game with selectable characters). If you did you were instantly labeled as "gay" and ridiculed by the entire clique.

Fun times.  Smiley
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2011, 08:53:21 AM »

game looks good but is it ps3-only? will they port it to xbla or something one day?

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2011, 08:58:21 AM »

I think it's for both HD twins.

@C.A. Sinclair: I used to play as Chun Li when I was a kid and everyone was okay with that Durr...? Man, I miss those days when Chun Li was cute.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2011, 09:07:01 AM »

This is definitely an indie game. It was started by one guy and originally developed by volunteers until he managed to find funding and create a studio. I would say that is almost the definition of indie.

yep -- if you have dragonmaw working on it in the past and daphaknee offering advice for character designs (she said she's friends with the devs) and their design document starting out on livejournal then it's probably indie

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2011, 09:44:43 AM »

Or you could say it started out as an indie project, but lost that status when it got picked up by Konami, just like El Mariachi started out as an independent (self-funded) production but was later released by Columbia.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2011, 10:03:42 AM »

i dunno, it still says that film was made on a budget of $7000. that seems like it's still an indie film to me, perhaps an indie film that was bought by a studio, rather than one that only 'started out' an indie film

indie doesn't mean not popular or doesn't have a publisher. the studio in that case only bought the american distribution rights. rodriguez still owns the movie's IP (as far as i know?)

i don't know the details of this skullgirls game either but i'd say if it's analogous (e.g. if the game was made on a small budget but the distribution rights were bought by konami) then it's the same deal. it only wouldn't be indie anymore if konami bought the game itself, the full IP rights rather than just the publishing rights

the wikipedia article doesn't mention anything about anyone else owning the game besides reverge labs, but perhaps it's out of date: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skullgirls

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2011, 10:17:09 AM »

Yeah there's obviously a difference between being indepently made and indepently published/distributed I didn't consider. So I guess El Mariachi is still indie because Columbia only picked it up after it was already finished. Skullgirls seems to be a different deal because it was still in development when Konami got involved.
filosofiamanga
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2011, 12:19:41 PM »

Back when I was a little kid hanging out at arcades with my buddies, you couldn't play as a female character in fighting games (or any other game with selectable characters). If you did you were instantly labeled as "gay" and ridiculed by the entire clique.

Fun times.  Smiley

Yeah, but arcades are now dead (or are a niche market) and eventually online is the future of competitive fighting games, so no-one will know who are you when playing a "girl" character.

I still like Arcades and hear an stranger say you were cheap or just hanging out.
I miss 90'  Beg
Dragonmaw
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2011, 12:56:30 PM »

hey dargonmaw, tell us about your past involvement with skullgitls' development.

what did you do? how did you get to do it?

I don't know if you are being serious or not so I'll act like you are being serious.

I was working at Cyan Worlds and was thoroughly bored with my job. I ended up, in this boredom, finding Skullgirls and "applying" (if you could call it that) to do the testing. At the time I'd been doing work for the Joystiq network for a while, so I also added the caveat that I could help with any PR or writing needs that they had.

They ended up using me to set up a blog and wiki (no longer around) to chronicle the development and provide a gathering ground for all of the internal information regarding the project. I ended up drifting to other places (like TIGS) and from my perspective Skullgirls died. The team emails slowed to a trickle and then stopped, and the few that I got were mostly niggling over stupid details rather than developing the game. On the bright side, I made casual friends with Alex Ahad (he did some character concepts for a game me and Gravious were working on) and BlackBookAlpha (super cool artist guy, probably best known around here for doing the anime Cave Story poster that was going to be cover art for the ill-fated PSP port).

So basically I was a gofer sorta guy, handling documentation and organization stuff. Hardly a man of importance. I've done similar stuff for other projects, like acting as ( oneof many, it was a revolving door) lead writer for SSNT. This was all before I actually made it to TIGsource though.

The resurrected Skullgirls definitely has my attention, especially since I can see a clear genesis from the prototype I still have and the current demo they are showing around. I'm glad Alex found a better way to conduct business. Can't wait for its release!
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2011, 02:10:42 PM »

Fun times.  Smiley

I googled a bit but couldn't find it. Back when Gauntlet Legends was released for the N64 / Gamecube there was a print ad in Nintendo Power to the effect of "Gauntlet is back! Kill monsters! Find treasure! But one of you still has to play as the chick."

I am pretty sure it was an official advertisement.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2011, 02:13:47 PM »

Gauntlet Dark Legacy "fixed" that by having male and female versions of each character.  Wink
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2011, 02:29:59 PM »

Gauntlet Dark Legacy "fixed" that by having male and female versions of each character.  Wink
contrary to what the shadow tranny cabal will have you believe, gender dysphoria is simply a particular expression of body dysmorphia
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic