Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:59:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUmber Throne - Basic Implementation Stage
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Umber Throne - Basic Implementation Stage  (Read 7369 times)
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2011, 11:58:30 AM »

~~Overview~~

Afternoon, fellow TIGgers. I've been posting artwork from this over in the Art thread for a good while, and I think I've got a decent enough bit of progress for a devlog.

The story follows Sir Abelard who, under the orders of his liege, King Atlas, travels to the dead Kingdom of Lord Faustus to destroy the artefact said to be the cause of its demise: The Umber Throne.

Joining him in his quest is Magister Magnus, who stays at the main base camp acting as mission control, and three young knights.

~~The World~~

The world of Umber Throne is kind of confusing. It exists within an immense void known as the Empyrean Expanse. Within this void float an immeasurable number of Realms, which have the appearance of floating chunks of earth. Upon each Realm sits a Kingdom and within each Kingdom sits a King.

The state of a Realm is tied to that of its King. If the King is sickly and weak, his Kingdom is rather barren and in shambles. If he is mighty and thriving, so is his Kingdom.

Every Kingdom is connected by a sort of 'highway' of light known as the Aether Streams. To date, most Kingdoms have created special Aether Galleons which can travel upon these Streams and interact with other Kingdoms.

~~Gameplay~~

What I wanted to do with Umber Throne is have the main challenge stem from the players' skill and the skill of the enemies. I don't want the player to be limited by a lack of mobility or attack options. For that reason, I'm implementing a large number of options, including blocks, dashing, dodges, crouching, normal combos, aerial attacks, downward attacks, upward attacks, dash attacks, and attacks that break through an enemy's guard, among other things.

RIGHT. Almost forgot a really early demo build:
https://rapidshare.com/files/2094037568/UmberThrone.rar

Holding jump makes it higher
To slide, Dash while crouching

When messing with the control input, the important ones are the Horizontal at the top, and everything below the DIVISOR line. Escape to quit
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 07:35:17 PM by McMutton » Logged
LDuncan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 12:45:32 PM »

I really like what I've seen so far, and love the designs I've seen of your characters in the other thread. Story and other ideas sound great.

Your youtube vid asked for suggestions, so I thought I might throw some out. I'm really glad that Sir Abelard actually holds his sword back as he runs. It really annoys me in games when my character is holding a giant 100 lbs. sword in one hand, yet he still uses the same run animation as if there's no weight in his hand. The angle Abelard is holding his sword at, however, seems a bit awkward. Part of it is because it's a 2D representation of a 3D object, and it's hard on the small video to see which way the sword is turned, but part of it is also that it's really hard to hold your arm out that straight without it tiring extremely quickly, even if you're not holding any weight. Add any weight to it and it's nigh-impossible to keep your arm out horizontally for any length of time.

It also feels like his sword needs more "weight" to it in those overhand chops. I expected more of a delay as the sword hits the ground and makes the camera shake, and then a slow acceleration of the sword as he brings it back up. Instead, he yanks it right up as if it doesn't weigh any more than a toothpick. That would slow down combat a bit though, so who knows, it may not be what you want.

His crazily awesome helmet feather is such a prominent part of his design that you expect it to have more... "life" or "character" to it, but I realize you've just barely started the project and that's probably not something you're worrying about at the moment.

Anyway, love what I've seen, can't wait to see it progress Smiley
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 07:32:27 PM »

Thanks for the reply, Duncan.

I'm currently addressing the issues with some of the attacks, as I too felt they lacked the Oomph they needed. Also note that Abe is reeeeeally old and reeeeeeally beastly, so a sword of that size wouldn't really be an issue for 'im.

New thing:
BOWS
ARROWS
MAYHEM

hewwo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 07:46:32 PM »

i love fast paced platformer gameplay.  that's what this sounds like to me.

MAYHEM

can't really say much about the video, i'm excited about it though.  love them parabolas.

keep at it mantooth

Sam English
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 01:29:49 PM »

Super cool idea, McMutton! I love the art style as well.

Can't wait to see more.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 08:12:47 PM »

Thanks, fellows!

I've not really gotten much done since last time. Right now I'm trying to get the sword swing effects looking nice. But aside from that, I've done the effects for the few weapons you find lying about:

The sparkles sparkle, and some light shines down upon it! (Although the effects seem a bit dull currently)

And I've finished the default weapon, the Regal Edge:
hewwo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 10:10:57 PM »

wow the models look even more awesome close up.  beautiful stuff man.  i have to agree about the effects though, the item could easily be missed.  more saturation and brilliance, i'd say.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 10:34:35 PM »

Nice stuff. I'll keep coming back.

You should write what OS the demo is for.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 10:48:56 PM »

Purdy  Cool

Lol I really like the look of the knight guy.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 11:52:26 AM »

Thanks, guys. Sorry about the lack of a Mac demo, Skomakar'n; I lack one to test it on.

I think I've gotten a suitable sword effect thingy done:

As well as finishing the effects for obtainable weapons:

That sword, by the way, is the Zanbatou:

~~EDIT~~

I think I should mention what I'm wanting to do with the different swords you find. These weapons don't simply have an arbitrary higher 'attack' value, but they've all got different attributes. In addition, each of the swords you find is pretty much balanced against the others.

Taking the two that I've shown, you've got the Regal Edge and the Zanbatou.
The Regal Edge, being the default weapon, is the Mario of the game. It deals decent damage and has a decent attack rate, but it has no special abilities.
The Zanbatou, in contrast, deals more damage and can do so through an enemy's guard, but it's a great deal slower.

So it's kind of like the way they did it in Soul Calibur.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:44:43 PM by McMutton » Logged
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 07:38:36 PM »

I felt the need to make the test room look pretty, so I've spent the last few days cooking up some environment assets.

hewwo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 05:59:54 PM »

really really sweet looking.  i'd say if anything, the stone wall doesn't quite match the rest of the art.  it could be the lines inbetween stones that seem out of place.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 11:36:42 AM »

Perhaps if I made the spaces smaller?

I've gotten some rudimentary AI on the first enemy, as well:

It's part of a group of creatures called the Gol, or World Eaters. In our world, Time is the main source of decay; But in UT, it's these things. They always appear in underused places and devour everything, slowly but surely.
ambinate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 02:02:13 PM »

this looks great so far.  i like the art direction a lot - it seems really consistent.  i'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 07:55:33 PM »

Damn those Zubats! Oh, wait.  Big Laff

The sword effect looks really amazing. It has that Fire Emblem-esque motion blur, especially when it's being spun around, that makes it feel a lot more hefty.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 02:34:44 PM »

Thanks, guys. I was actually using the effects from the GBA Fire Emblem games as reference when I made those sword effects!

Cross posting from Art, here's one of the villains, Magistra Mallea

And I've gotten a good bit done, including more enemy AI, changing stuff up for switching swords, making the bow near fully functional, and enabling enemies to take damage. I'll throw up a video once I get this terrible bug handled.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 08:19:33 PM »

Finally fixed that irritating bug. Time for...

SWORDS
BOWS
ARROWS
MAYHEM
DEEEEATH

(You have NO idea how evil my laugh was upon getting this working)
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 12:23:34 AM »

Hahaha I bet it was wickedly evil   Hand Shake RightCheesyHand Shake Left

Nice arrow physics xD
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 06:04:26 AM »

Oh, shiny! Nice to see all that cool artwork in-game!

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 01:33:25 PM »

What's this? Progress!? Madness!

I'm almost done getting this guy completely implemented:

I've also done a couple of combat things:

You can now dodge certain attacks by ducking at the right time.

You can now perfom a COUNTER STRIKE by attacking right before an enemy's attack hits.
(Though I still need to perfect the timing)

Yaaaay.

~~EDIT~~

Ah, I'd almost forgotten. Some time in the future, I'll be in need of a musician. So if you'd be interested let us speak!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 05:36:17 PM by McMutton » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic