Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 01:50:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMovies
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 174965 times)
Chainsawkitten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: May 24, 2014, 01:51:18 PM »

風立ちぬ [The Wind Rises]
Some pretty intense scenes for a 7+ film. I liked it. You could go out on a worse note.

The Brood
Whoa, Cronenberg. Are you sure you hate your ex-wife that much? Wanna talk about it? I'm here for you, you know.

Twilight
Awesome film. Amazing atmosphere throughout. Great soundtrack (even if it is pretty much ripped off from Nosferatu - Phantom der Nacht). Ending reveal shot is GOAT. Maybe I should clarify that I'm talking about the Hungarian film Szürkület [Twilight]?

Abduction
Me and my sister tried to entertain ourselves with guessing how many minutes until the next time Lautner would be shirtless, but that wore thin. You heard it, folks, this movie's major problem is that Lautner just isn't shirtless often enough. Also, maybe I'm late but I just noticed this. Oh my god!

Gadające głowy [Talking Heads]
Lovely.

Zombieland
It wasn't that bad, I suppose. Well, until the second half anyways. Well, it wasn't exactly very good before that either. But it wasn't terrible.

天注定 [A Touch of Sin]
Movie night with friends, whoo! None of use had seen anything by Jia Zhangke before but now I'm intrigued.

Caravaggio
Some daaaaamn pretty pictures, as usual for Jarman. I can't honestly say I was very engaged in anything that was going on on-screen, though. Still, daaaaamn.

Sedmikrásky [Daisies]
I am confused and scared. Someone hold me!
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1161 on: May 25, 2014, 03:49:04 AM »

Exit Through the Gift Shop

It's a film by Banksy, the notoriously secretive street artist. It's a documentary about street art and the lives of a few artists in specific. It's an interesting look at an underground world.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1162 on: May 26, 2014, 09:36:46 AM »

I also saw Jarhead. Not as much to say about this one. War... war is hell and all that business. It had some good parts. The flaming oil fields setting was particularly cool. I guess I didn't really 'get' the movie.

Operation Desert Storm/Shield was one of the wierdest wars-that-wasn't in recent history. The movie maybe had more interest for me because I'm old enough to have it be a significant world event along the course of my life.
They didn't hit too hard upon it in the movie, but it was one of the biggest perception-changes on why America goes to war, from the purposes of liberation to kleptomania. Coming out of the failure of Vietnam, the American military nonetheless had pride as liberators. After Desert Storm/Shield, they have humiliation as corporate stooges. It wasn't the only event (let's not forget Kuwait), to be sure, but one of the biggest ones.
Sucks to have an org chart.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Chainsawkitten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: June 16, 2014, 04:54:37 AM »

Children Underground
Man, this is one difficult watch.

El niño de la luna [Moon Child]
I quite liked the first half of it. Once they leave the orphanage it gets a bit silly though. The second half almost feels like a children's adventure film.

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
I haven't seen this in sooo long. Honestly, it's still charming but it doesn't hold up to my memories of it. "Wait, that was it? Really? Huh."

The Amazing Spider-Man
Spider-man is such a prick. What an asshole!

Coffy
Certainly entertaining.
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: June 20, 2014, 11:50:53 PM »

Really excited to see The Dance of Reality.

Oh also, Pieta has to be one of the most depressing Korean revenge films I've seen in a while and stands as a great example of Korea's extreme cinema.

And while I'm on the topic of depressing movies, The Selfish Giant will make you reeeaaally feel like shit.

I highly recommend all three movies though.

Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: June 25, 2014, 05:40:21 AM »

I recently saw a few movies.

The Grand Budapest Hotel
Great as expected. Hilarious, well written, well acted, great cinematography and prop/set design (the level of detail is astounding, I watched the movie a second time just to pick up on and read everything). I thought it was better than Moonrise kingdom, in that Wes Anderson's style was used more subtly and maturely in this film. I'm still deciding if I enjoyed this flick more than Fantastic Mr. Fox or not.

Dogtooth
Horribly pretentious indie crap for the first half of the movie until it clicks that the weirdness makes sense in the context of the story. A grotesque film which wasn't really enjoyable to watch, but I do think it posed some interesting questions in regards to parenting.

Downfall
I thought it was a pretty good film that did a great job of showing the collapse of a government and giving a very human feel to Hitler's final hours. I think it's important not to portray anyone as completely evil. People need to understand that everyone is capable of doing bad things so that history does not repeat itself. That said, I thought the interview snippets at the beginning and end of the movie were completely unnecessary. I also think that a few plotlines could have been cut so as to make the film at most an hour shorter. It dragged on for far too long, and there were too many characters who I didn't recognise/remember/weren't interested in.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: June 25, 2014, 07:30:47 AM »

i think it's important especially not to portray hitler as completely evil, because he's really good, and everyone here in south america respects him and buys him coffee and sits and listens to his stories
Rayiner
« Reply #1167 on: June 27, 2014, 05:37:32 AM »

Eraserhead. What was that?
I don't know, but I liked it.
Blasted Beacon
« Reply #1168 on: June 27, 2014, 09:29:44 AM »

I'm not watching anything at the moment, but I went to see both The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and X-Men: Days of Future Past for the second time last week (why yes, I do like comic book films). ASM2 actually held up a little better for me the second time, maybe because I was less concerned about the plot (knowing everything that happens) and more focused on the emotional aspects.
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: June 29, 2014, 09:55:47 PM »

Mr Nobody came out in 2009 but took a few years to make its way out of Belgium. Despite the myriad of things critics tend to pit against the film, I love it to death and consider it terribly underrated.

It's something along the lines of Cloud Atlas combined with Eternal Sunshine, and I personally feel like it manages time far better than Cloud Atlas and adopts the non linear plot structure quite well.

It's a beautiful movie with great use of color and has a handful of iconic scenes.

It's extremely engaging and connectable for anyones that has ever experienced the struggles of separation or hesitation. Though it may come off a bit too poetic, I thought it never cut into the lines of melodrama.

It's even worth watching just for its

Also, this film has a very strong touch of Terry Gilliam. His influence is definitely there and if that doesn't sell it to you, Shrug

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 10:23:22 PM by Carrion » Logged

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: June 29, 2014, 10:26:43 PM »

Mr Nobody and Only God Forgives are both great movies

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: June 30, 2014, 03:43:31 PM »

This movie rivals The Tree of Life.

Damn....

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1172 on: July 03, 2014, 01:13:17 PM »

still want to see nymphomaniac. von trier's pretty interesting and i'm interested in seeing him dissect his own work

Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: July 15, 2014, 05:10:08 AM »

Muthafuckin' Secret of Kells.

Geez what a movie. The art is beaufiful! Every single frame is perfect and stands on its own. Love the Celtic style of illustration. Voice acting was top notch, I loved the accents. Music was great too.

The movie also gave a really great sense of adventure and that a larger world exists beyond the scope of the movie. The part where Brendan goes into the dungeon and fights the worm demon thing was probably the best thing I've seen in a film this year.

The story and writing was interesting, but a little simple and 'kid's movie-ish'. I was a bit disappointed with the ending, because I wanted to see more interaction between Ashley and Brendan. One thing I especially liked however was that the threat of the northmen/vikings wasn't dealt with. When I saw the trailer I figured Brendan would end up defeating them before they destroyed the village, but instead they prevailed, which was refreshing to see.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 05:22:11 AM by Praying Mantis » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #1174 on: July 15, 2014, 10:57:15 AM »

purple noon

aka watch alain delon be incredibly beautiful/a huge misogynist for 2 hours
ink.inc
« Reply #1175 on: July 15, 2014, 10:24:24 PM »

save the green planet

pretty great

no spoilers
ink.inc
« Reply #1176 on: July 17, 2014, 09:53:11 AM »

castaway on the moon

would make a cool survival game
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: July 19, 2014, 03:04:11 AM »

save the green planet
I second this Smiley

Some more movies I would recommend:

In China They Eat Dogs
The Green Butchers
Flickering Lights
Adam's Apples

The Crazy Family
Udon

Delicatessen
Louise Hires a Contract Killer
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 03:17:01 AM by Chromanoid » Logged
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1178 on: July 20, 2014, 10:07:08 AM »

Snowpiercer was pretty cool. It kind of fell apart at the end, but it was nice to see a unique action movie with a cool setting. More Hollywood movies from Korean directors please.

Catghost
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1179 on: July 26, 2014, 05:16:48 PM »

finally watched watchmen. granted it was the fx edit, still ended up loving it. especially the characters.

finding the time to watch the director's cut is proving to be more difficult than i'd hoped though.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic