Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:15:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMovies
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 175003 times)
HeliocentricS
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1300 on: December 01, 2014, 10:50:16 AM »

Here's the movies I've watched over the past week.

Babadook. This movie has been getting a lot of attention recently so I decided to rent it. I can't say I'm a big of a fan as everyone seems to be. The story is pretty standard fare for the genre with a layer of allegory on top. They reveal a bit too much visually which after that point lessens the tension. I'd recommend it mostly for big fans of the horror genre.

Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1. I thought the first two movies in this series were pretty decent popcorn action movies. This one though I wasn't a big fan of. It felt like I watched half of a movie, so I left the theater feeling a bit unsatisfied. I can see this being fixed when both movies are available at the same time and can be watched back to back though.

Social Network. Rewatched this a few days ago to continue my David Fincher catalog rewatch. I think this is one of his best movies with all of the components really working together well. I feel that a lot of people are turned off by this movie from the fact that it's a facebook movie but you could really replace that with any concept and it doesn't change the movie much. Facebook is just the backdrop for a really interesting look at common themes of human relationships. It's tightly edited, has a great subtle score, and Sorkin dialogue which I'm always a fan of.

JWK5
« Reply #1301 on: December 04, 2014, 02:10:08 AM »

The Babadook was good while it was focusing on the mother/child struggles, but I felt it's "supernatural" elements were pretty lame.
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: December 08, 2014, 05:15:00 PM »

On friday I was chilling at home (alone) so I decided to get on netflix and watch a movie, so I wathed this animated film called Secret of Kells.

It was pretty good! I loved the art style, it used little to no perspective as if they were ancient drawings from irish mythology. Pretty interesting art direction! Also I personally love irish accents which most of the characters had. The only thing I didn't like about the movie is that the pacing was really slow and the story was a bit tangled, leaving me with a bunch of questions in the end. However that wasn't too bad, as the animation was absolutely gorgeous and the whole film was so magical and relaxing.

I loved that movie. I thought the Pangur-ban song and the scene where he's fighting the worm thing were pretty dang awesome. Also every single piece of background art is gorgeous.
helena32
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: December 10, 2014, 04:33:28 AM »

The last one I watched was Penguins of Madagascar. Honestly, I couldn't like it despite trying to fall in love with those cuddly penguins like I did while watching Madagascar! Rather I like them much more here in this game called Dibble Dash - http://www.jumpstart.com/penguins-of-madagascar/mobile-apps/dibble-dash. In fact, I think those penguins alone couldn't be the central character to a movie. They were cool being part of the Madagascar team itself. But not as heroes in a movies on them. Hope the Minions would not turn out like this one, too! Apart from this one, watched Interstellar recently. Any idea when 'Cake' will release. Jennifer Aniston has done a very good work in this one it seems.
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1304 on: December 10, 2014, 09:48:35 AM »

Yes, Secret of Kells is one of my all-time favorite movies. It's incredible what they do with simple 2D animation. Same goes for Samurai Jack!

Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: December 10, 2014, 04:44:17 PM »

Watched From Dusk Till Dawn without any spoilers, also thinking it was a Tarantino directed film. Pretty bad movie that gets worse as it goes on, but the turn of events about halfway was very surprising and hilarious.

Also the people who worked on Secret of Kells are soon to release a new film

It looks good. I'm excited to listen to that delightful Celtic music again.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1306 on: December 10, 2014, 11:29:13 PM »

Watched From Dusk Till Dawn without any spoilers, also thinking it was a Tarantino directed film. Pretty bad movie that gets worse as it goes on, but the turn of events about halfway was very surprising and hilarious.

Also the people who worked on Secret of Kells are soon to release a new film

It looks good. I'm excited to listen to that delightful Celtic music again.

Isn't the first half directed by Tarantino and the second by Rodriguez? It certainly looks that way.
I rather liked it, it's silly, cheesy and hilarious, but all in a good way.

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #1307 on: December 11, 2014, 12:19:29 AM »

Short Term 12 really explores just basic humanity, one of my favorite movies.  It's about a couple running an orphanage and so much more.  It's on netflix definitely worth watching
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: December 11, 2014, 01:34:38 AM »

Isn't the first half directed by Tarantino and the second by Rodriguez? It certainly looks that way.
I rather liked it, it's silly, cheesy and hilarious, but all in a good way.

If I recall correctly, The first have was written by Tarantino, but the movie was directed entirely by Rodriguez. The second half was certainly a fun little romp, but my enjoyment of cheesy, B-movie shlock only goes so far. Also the first half didn't really grab me apart from the first scene; overall I thought it was a bit boring, even despite Clooney's one-liners.

Also I just watched The Maze Runner. Ok movie. Fun concept and the story is fairly entertaining, although most actors had poor performances, the writing was bland as hell, there is almost zero character development, the ending was atrocious and the film was riddled with plot holes. But still, pretty enjoyable if you want some action/adventure in the vein of Hunger Games.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: December 11, 2014, 04:23:33 AM »

I can't watch anything by Tarantino.

RZRBLaDE
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: December 11, 2014, 07:58:01 AM »

Birdman is the best movie to come out this year.

looking forward to this one, it will be nice to see Keaton back in a good movie.

Indie Dev of Blox and The Guessing Game.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: January 29, 2015, 11:25:26 AM »

did anyone else really really like "whiplash"?

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1312 on: January 29, 2015, 11:57:39 AM »

did anyone else really really like "whiplash"?

Most people.

Birdman was good but could have been so much better, the writing was forgettable.

quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: January 29, 2015, 11:41:27 PM »

I watched Jin Roh: Wolf Brigade.

good movie, nice little hidden gem. I think the red riding hood metaphor can come off as heavy handed but it does hammer home how inevitable the ending will be. I really like it.
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: January 30, 2015, 01:35:27 AM »

Saw American Sniper today. It's pretty good. Characters lack any kind of depth and the story is very straightforward, but the tension was very tight all the way through.

Also saw Inglourious Basterds. What a great movie.
Ninety
Level 1

turnip boy

View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: January 30, 2015, 04:24:36 AM »

Saw Drive recently. Was interesting. Too many long pauses for me but Gosling was good at the sudden freakout bits. The blond chick was good as well.

Anyone else seen it? Thoughts?

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1316 on: January 30, 2015, 05:13:52 AM »

Don't remember it very well, but it left a very good impression. I liked the atmosphere, shots and music added to it greatly.

gwartney21
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1317 on: January 30, 2015, 11:09:04 AM »

The last movie I went to see was divergent don't watch allot of movies as you can tell lol.

My name is Alex Gwartney I am currently a college student attending online classes at University of Phoenix. I am pursuing my associates degree in computer science with a concentration in Software Development.
quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: January 30, 2015, 05:17:11 PM »

I really like Drive, great soundtrack and cinematography and a pretty fun story. I didn't think much of Gosling before that movie but he is a pretty good actor and Carey Mulligan is a cutey.
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1319 on: January 30, 2015, 05:35:47 PM »

Highly recommend the documentary Life Itself.  A glimpse into the lengthy career of legendary film critic Roger Ebert.

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic