Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 01:58:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMovies
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 174989 times)
Canned Turkey
« Reply #1500 on: January 10, 2016, 08:56:27 PM »

dumb she's getting gradual motivation from feeling sorry for a robot to being charmed by rebel guy to being caught up in all the other stuff on top of OBVIOUSLY being shown having dreams of adventure plus having nothing at all tying her to her planet other than a desperate hope

nerd discussions are the best btw

I'm just glad people on here disagree without flat out arguing.
Apparently that's a hard thing to come by.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1501 on: January 11, 2016, 12:12:33 AM »

words
none of the original movies were even well written in any sense

They weren't exceptional, but they're sure as hell better than the new one.

iunno, i was just rewatching a new hope recently (after like 12 years of not seeing it in a single run), and God, the pacing is horrible. it takes motherfucking forever to start getting anywhere. first half is mostly two robotos being idios on the desert and then wham, luke is the son of a great warrior all of a sudden. the faux political discussion with the grand moffs is bad too.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: January 11, 2016, 12:29:02 AM »

nostalgia embellished the original movies.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: January 11, 2016, 07:11:43 AM »

words

iunno, i was just rewatching a new hope recently (after like 12 years of not seeing it in a single run), and God, the pacing is horrible. it takes motherfucking forever to start getting anywhere. first half is mostly two robotos being idios on the desert and then wham, luke is the son of a great warrior all of a sudden. the faux political discussion with the grand moffs is bad too.

attention deficit disorder damn

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: January 11, 2016, 07:13:37 AM »

dumb she's getting gradual motivation from feeling sorry for a robot to being charmed by rebel guy to being caught up in all the other stuff on top of OBVIOUSLY being shown having dreams of adventure plus having nothing at all tying her to her planet other than a desperate hope

nerd discussions are the best btw

I'm just glad people on here disagree without flat out arguing.
Apparently that's a hard thing to come by.

that's sad because that's no more a discussion and we don't get to know each other

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1505 on: January 11, 2016, 07:38:20 AM »

words

attention deficit disorder damn

hah! nice try. i actually like slow paced movies (in fact the 70s are full of movies i love where nothing happens, but everything can be felt), but there needs to be something to compensate, like a very compelling atmosphere, any sort of engaging narrative discussion or whatevs. even a good soundtrack will hook me. a new hope sadly, has got none of it. its just guys dressed as robots walking in the dunes. i would take planet of the apes any other day.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: January 11, 2016, 08:18:53 AM »

Of course a 2015 ACTION movie is going to be faster paced than an ACTION movie from 1977. Idk what *some people* were expecting.

I don't think a new hope has poor pacing however. But the empire strikes back is the better movie. Controversial opinion: george lucas is ok an as an "idea guy" but mediocre as a director. more specifically he is bad at directing actors, particularly noticeable in the wooden and lifeless dialog scenes of the prequel trilogy. The performances in star wars 7 are not amazing but they are ok. Fun fact: theres an interview with natalie portman where she claims star wars almost ruined her career bc everyone thought she was a bad actress and for a while no director wanted to hire her.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: January 11, 2016, 08:28:26 AM »

It's too fast now, and sw7 is faster than mickeal bay that's telling something, I'm too old i'm reaching the slow down kid phase Huh?

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1508 on: January 11, 2016, 08:55:24 AM »

Of course a 2015 ACTION movie is going to be faster paced than an ACTION movie from 1977. Idk what *some people* were expecting.

yeah because planet of the apes was out 2015

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: January 11, 2016, 10:25:36 AM »

gimmy, how did you like mad max fury road?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: January 11, 2016, 10:27:30 AM »

not seen

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: January 11, 2016, 10:33:49 AM »

well you should.

if that one is 2fast4u, you can officially call yourself old.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1512 on: January 11, 2016, 10:46:44 AM »

admittedly, it has an insane pace. while i love it with all my heart (gf gifted me a special edition with a couple of keyring thingies and a pin, and also bought the soundtrack both physical and digital), i can totally understand how it is not for everyone, the pace and sparse plot in particular.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: January 11, 2016, 10:49:29 AM »

@silber
It depend on what the core of the movie is, I don't know about mmfr but sw7 tries to present character and is supposed to follow and expend on a tradition. Especially when there is already a tradition of side product who successfully expend and brought new things. You can tell that in the movie the music is less impactful because nothing is actually told, no emotion, in the original the music is noticeable because it perfectly extend a scene etc ... I'm also bitter than people confuse pretty image with good cinematography, the directing is rather flat and more obsess with reference than saying anything relevant, it does not even emphasized key point.

For example
I have no problem with mickeal bay, especially when he takes the time to make a cinematographic wink before things go boom or crazy. Nobody notice how most sequence in transformer are first traditionally shoot, reach a turning point whith a weird pause, then everything get upped to 11, it's bay basically saying "here we go, pure fun". I noticed it first in the beginning of the first movie, where the hero is giving a speech before his class, everything is normal ... pause ... then he goes in crazy conspiracy like thought, there is a change of pace in the filming. The cinematography constantly broadcast what the director feel about a scene, you can tell a scene he find boring, where he had fun, where  he thinks he is clever, when he is preparing for a reveal, etc ... it's not flat at all even though you might not like the fuck yeah bro aspects of it. I never dissed Bay and his stuff aren't my cup of tea.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: January 11, 2016, 11:20:19 AM »

i never said the cinematography in sw7 is amazing, just that it's better than the prequel trilogy!

fury road is more like the minimalist action movies of the 60s and 70s (except with modern production values and pacing), where the story and characters are almost entirely conveyed through the action scenes themselves, the plot is minimal and makes no attempt to be somehow "epic" and there is a strong focus on atmosphere over linear narrative. it's pretty much nonstop condensed stylized action.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:29:00 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1515 on: January 11, 2016, 12:29:54 PM »

and inferred worldbuilding.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: January 12, 2016, 07:53:27 AM »

You can tell that in the movie the music is less impactful because nothing is actually told, no emotion, in the original the music is noticeable because it perfectly extend a scene etc ...
I didn't notice the music much at all during the movie but it's really good (bought the Soundtrack).
Maybe it's the movie pace getting in the way, maybe the music was actually so fitting I didn't notice it... I don't have an opinion either way yet, I need to rewatch it. At any rate, the music's good  Addicted
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: January 12, 2016, 08:16:30 AM »

It's telling me there was no "moment" just a blur, but people seems to like this way more so whatever, i'm wrong by box office

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: January 12, 2016, 08:30:46 AM »

I didn't notice the music much at all during the movie but it's really good (bought the Soundtrack).

rey's theme was immediately noticeable & memorable to me. that one is great.

the use of music WAS admittedly less impactful tho, but that's modern hollywood filmmaking for you. everayone just uses the mood technique now. rip.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: January 12, 2016, 11:11:53 AM »

Yeah but isn't John Williams like, known for having really great memorable melodies? Why would he switch to making moody music all of a sudden?

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic