Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:59:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMovies
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 174744 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: February 25, 2016, 01:00:12 PM »

I watched Crimson Peak because now that the Kojima collab is happening, I thought I should get up to speed on del Toro's newer films.

It was OK and had nice visuals but it tried to do too many things at once and ended up kinda half assing all of them: It's a horror movie that isn't really scary. It's a ghost story, but the ghosts, while looking cool, have literally 0 plot relevance. It's a romance movie without any real chemistry b/w the primary protagonists. It has some Sherlock Holmes shit going on, but the BIG REVEAL is really cliche, etc. etc. So kinda same problems as Pan's Labyrinth I guess lol.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: February 25, 2016, 03:04:00 PM »

When asked he say it was in no way an horror movie lol
The "gothic style" is throwing people off by assimilation.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/16/guillermo-del-toro-on-why-crimson-peak-is-not-a-horror-movie

I think it has the same problem of culture clash, expectation don't translate well into the new framework. Does not mean your observation aren't relevant though, on contrary.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: February 25, 2016, 03:53:46 PM »

i didn't expect it to be a horror movie at all but it clearly has horror elements (that feel tacked on). it's like i said, the ghosts might as well not be there. at one point del toro has mia wasikowska explicitly say that "the ghosts are just a metaphor for the past". which is fine and dandy, but: seeing as the movie already conveys themes like clinging to the past and the inability to move on through its human characters, and the ghosts are almost completely inconsequential to the plot, it just seems gratuitous. why does the film want to be a metaphor for itself? it makes no sense.

it would have worked if the ghosts were used more subtly, maybe as a background element and if the actual nature of them was left unclear. there's just not enough to them to warrant giving them their own scenes.

also i already acknowledged that it's a genre mix in my last post. it just doesn't mix genres in a compelling way and is too unfocused to achieve a synthesis.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 06:20:54 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: February 25, 2016, 06:12:07 PM »

also jessica chastain is a freaking underrated actress (well as underrated as a hollywood actress is going to get lol). she got a lot of nuance out of what is actually a very cliche character her performance was def the best of the cast.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: February 25, 2016, 06:42:29 PM »

I wasn't talking about the genre mix, but how genre are neat little stiff box that come with expectation and no more incongruity. Ie if you don't follow the genre or mix, then suddenly the presence of things became question when they where already questionable and arbitrary but just accepted overtime through codification of the genre.

I'm saying that this movie expose the code through expectation while doing it's own thing, which make thins pops when it's no less arbitrary than usual. The come under scrutiny because "out of frame".

Usually pointing at arbitrary things is the realm of another genre, parody.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: February 25, 2016, 07:20:44 PM »

I'm saying that this movie expose the code through expectation while doing it's own thing, which make thins pops when it's no less arbitrary than usual. The come under scrutiny because "out of frame".

no i can't agree with this at all. have you actually seen it? the constituent elements aren't exactly incongruous (for one thing theyre all based in 19th century literature), theyre just all mediocre on their own and lack the overarching direction to make them really come together. i don't think it does its own thing at all tbh, just does a bunch of existing things at the same time.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: February 25, 2016, 07:32:38 PM »

I haven't seen the movie, I'm trying to milk an interesting discussion on arbitrary convention, tropes use and genre expectation. Well, hello there!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: February 25, 2016, 07:39:33 PM »

pan's labyrinth would probably be a better movie by the same director to talk about then haha.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: March 07, 2016, 01:11:16 PM »

recommending "Southbound" for horror fantasy desert highway tales fans seeking for something a la Lynch

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1569 on: March 09, 2016, 06:21:51 AM »

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1570 on: March 09, 2016, 07:45:24 PM »

tf4 wasnt entertaining. t1 and 2 were a bit. tf4 is just a huuuge slog

GaiaX2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1571 on: March 09, 2016, 10:08:25 PM »

Tf1 was a rocky start. 2 feels it was kinda there. 3 was an ok attempt at a story (even if it did use a concept ripped right from the G1 cartoon), and 4.. well, it's a bit of a forgettable experience as a whole.

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1572 on: March 10, 2016, 12:41:05 AM »

I don't know, all of them were totally forgettable for me, but at least I laughed a lot with the last one.

Yesterday I watched Filth and Wisdom and contrary to popular opinion liked it a lot. The story was engaging, the characters interesting and it definitely made me question the way I live my life.

jonathgb25
Level 0

Visit www.infocore.xyz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1573 on: March 18, 2016, 11:48:48 PM »

Try Hachiko. It is such a good sad story.  Cry  Kiss

Visit this blog: Info Core
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: March 19, 2016, 01:40:11 PM »

Best movies ever with best song tracks?

Just watched it, great stuff! Thank you for mentioning it.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1575 on: April 02, 2016, 11:55:35 AM »

i saw hail caesar. it was good but not great. but ok the coen bros are kinda past their prime so i wasn't expecting a masterpiece. i felt like the many subplots muddled the movie too much and ended up weighing it down. some funny and poignant scenes tho.
quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: April 02, 2016, 08:41:35 PM »

Speaking of Coen brothers I watched Fargo for the first time. It has a nice mix of humour and creepiness.
It reminds me of Twin Peaks minus the surreal stuff and instead puts the focus on the murky dark side to small town stuff.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1577 on: April 03, 2016, 10:24:59 AM »

coen bros are kinda past their prime
woah woah woah, Inside Llewyn Davis is easily one of their best, imo. I have a feeling I'm going to like Hail, Caesar more on my next viewing.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: April 03, 2016, 12:13:20 PM »

you guys see the puppets little dick in anomalisa?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: April 03, 2016, 12:28:34 PM »

coen bros are kinda past their prime
woah woah woah, Inside Llewyn Davis is easily one of their best, imo. I have a feeling I'm going to like Hail, Caesar more on my next viewing.

i haven't seen that one yet, oops. i kinda missed the theatrical release and then forgot about it.

also yes hail caesar seemed like a movie that potentially benefits from multiple viewings. WE'LL SEE.

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic