Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 05:48:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMovies
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 174859 times)
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1600 on: May 25, 2016, 02:24:12 PM »

I don't like that lucy pretended to be so much deeper than it was.

MESRecords
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1601 on: May 28, 2016, 06:32:41 AM »

So, Warcraft seems to be popular with audiences but critics hate it. Would be such a shame to see this sitting at that 37 metascore it has right now just because critics hate video game movies.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: May 28, 2016, 07:27:16 AM »

some people just happy to see Chogal and Guldan on big screen and they dont give a shit anymore
NineTattooedDragons
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1603 on: May 28, 2016, 10:48:48 AM »

Watching The Do-Over on Netflix. Why don't people like Adam Sandler? Is it just the critics? I still think he's hilarious.

ShuyanSaga.com/
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1604 on: May 29, 2016, 08:07:30 AM »

So, Warcraft seems to be popular with audiences but critics hate it. Would be such a shame to see this sitting at that 37 metascore it has right now just because critics hate video game movies.
Why does it matter what anyone thinks of any media? I say this as someone who is paid to review games. People come at media with different viewpoints and criteria.

Film critics are judging it as a film, not a list of references. I've seen it, and Warcraft is an unwieldy mess of a movie. But most of the audience going to see it are going to see it for the emotional response to seeing these characters they know on the big screen. And they get mad about bad reviews because it feels like a personal attack against them, because for some goddamned reason gamers think a hobby is an identity. (This is why Hello Games is getting death threats, too.)

Also, this movie isn't going to do poorly because of a low metascore. So few people going to the megaplex know what metacritic or rotten tomatoes are, let alone use them. It'll do poorly because it looks like a generic swords and sorcery movie, and past the initial surge of fans word of mouth will spread that it's really confusing if you aren't already familiar with the franchise. Unless it turns into another fucking culture war and this blows up.

But! Despite the prominence of professional critics, their word isn't law. Ultimately, your experience is your own. People use a shorthand of "[thing] is [quality]" because prefacing everything with "In my opinion..." is really tiring and used to be understood. But now it seems like it might be necessary. For some reason, stating a personal opinion with any degree of certainty now feels like an attack to certain people who don't share that opinion.

Now we have a weird situation where if you like a thing that is panned by critics you're either a "fucking hipster" or an oppressed minority, usually depending on the target audience for the media in question.

Sorry for the rambling rant. This stuff has been knocking around in my head for a while and the topic really grinds my gears.

Sentionaut
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1605 on: May 30, 2016, 03:06:02 AM »

I *finally* watched Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. I felt it was a bit too long, but I enjoyed it a lot.
Also, I've seen recently The Witch and Anomalisa. I'm not really sure I liked the resolution of The Witch, but the movie's direction is outstanding.
Btw, Anomalisa was really interesting in the way they use the fact that it's a stop-motion movie as part of the discourse. If you enjoy stop-motion movies, and also mature and mundane subjects, I'd recommend it.

MESRecords
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1606 on: May 30, 2016, 01:22:33 PM »

Why does it matter what anyone thinks of any media? I say this as someone who is paid to review games. People come at media with different viewpoints and criteria.

Because I feel that stuff that is good should also be recognized as just that - something that is good.

It would be nice if critics would judge it as a film, but most of the things I've read sounded like 'meh, video games' to me. If there really was such a thing as 'objective ratings' then 37 would be nearly unwatchable. Like low budget trash movie unwatchable. That's really not what this movie is.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: May 31, 2016, 12:16:40 PM »

Because I feel that stuff that is good should also be recognized as just that - something that is good.

It would be nice if critics would judge it as a film, but most of the things I've read sounded like 'meh, video games' to me. If there really was such a thing as 'objective ratings' then 37 would be nearly unwatchable. Like low budget trash movie unwatchable. That's really not what this movie is.

Budget has nothing to do with movie quality and "37" isn't 'nearly unwatchable' but 'below average' if the 1 to 100 scale isn't abused and skewed like crazy.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1608 on: June 03, 2016, 09:04:50 AM »

For Lucy you have to run with the premise that she is becoming some kind of uber-woman. If you start questioning it it becomes less fun. Generally I enjoy movies that are dopey and fun. I also liked Limitless which is basically the same movie except with Bradly Cooper.
the tone of the movie that tries to go thought provoking on occasion is what gets on my nervs tbh

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1609 on: June 04, 2016, 05:42:40 PM »

I also liked "Transcendence" which was along the same lines with Johnny Depp. IDK I like movies about the singularity or whatever they're calling it now a days.

pixelmeat
Level 0

@pixelmeat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1610 on: June 10, 2016, 03:43:18 AM »

I also liked "Transcendence" which was along the same lines with Johnny Depp. IDK I like movies about the singularity or whatever they're calling it now a days.

I do like movies about this topic too, but I think that the success of these movies lies in their ability to not over explain the singularity itself. No one can explain something that is not understandable by the human brain at this point, so don't try to. I'd recommend you to watch "Coherence" if you haven't yet. It's an excellent indie approach to the topic imo.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: June 11, 2016, 05:24:29 PM »

what r sum gud movies currently in cinemas? i havent seen a movie in months.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1612 on: June 14, 2016, 07:50:48 PM »

i really really like popstar but that is a hard sell for most ppl. i would say the lobster but i'm pretty sure that was out in europe last fall.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1613 on: June 15, 2016, 09:00:55 PM »

popstar is great. if you like the lonely island it's an easy win.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: June 26, 2016, 04:10:09 PM »

Where do sfx go from here? if we can do everything what's the next spectacular?

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1615 on: June 27, 2016, 06:30:44 AM »

real time (video games)

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1616 on: June 30, 2016, 06:53:16 PM »

I do like movies about this topic too, but I think that the success of these movies lies in their ability to not over explain the singularity itself. No one can explain something that is not understandable by the human brain at this point, so don't try to. I'd recommend you to watch "Coherence" if you haven't yet. It's an excellent indie approach to the topic imo.

Coherence looks like a horror movie from the trailer I saw:

I generally don't like horror movies.

It reminds me a little bit of "Primer" which is a fine movie on netflix I recommend:

They made that whole movie for 7k.

(edit, fix youtube links)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 09:27:00 PM by msilver » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: June 30, 2016, 07:06:07 PM »

Coherence looks like a horror movie from the trailer I saw:

I generally don't like horror movies.

It reminds me a little bit of "Primer" which is a fine movie on netflix I recommend:

They made that whole movie for 7k.

FIXED  Angry

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: June 30, 2016, 07:06:47 PM »

real time (video games)

HOLY ..... VIRTUAL REALITY

zminusone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1619 on: July 01, 2016, 06:01:35 PM »

Where do sfx go from here? if we can do everything what's the next spectacular?

I can't believe that video gives this movie an 8. Is that out of 100? heheh

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic