Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:35:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeProblems with doing
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Problems with doing  (Read 3182 times)
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 11, 2008, 07:20:31 AM »

Anyone else like this?

I have a vast and deep understanding of alot of things that go into making games, I have played countless different types of games from different types of genres, I can look at at others work and tell them what they are doing wrong, and how they can improve, but I can't seem to make anything for myself.

I wanna be a better musician, pixel artiest, programmer, 3d Modeler and etc. I get real excited to start, but when I actually do something I fear that it isn't good enough/ not what I really wanted, or I get frustrated during the process because my progress isn't where it should be. So I end up with a bunch of half finished things that are probably Ok, but I can't bring myself to actually display them. I dunno, I am I too much of a perfectionist? Am I worried that I will be laughed off the internet? I dunno, how do you over come stuff like this? When are you no longer a beginner, but someone who is somewhat proficient?

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 07:49:08 AM »

It's time to man up, get your balls out of your purse, and just finish something and put it out there!!  There is no other way to get over this crippling fear.  I still have bits of this from time to time, the only projects I don't like to start are projects I'm afraid I won't be able to do well.  But I try to remember that the only projects worth doing are the tricky ones, and most people have pretty crappy taste anyways :D

cup full of magic charisma
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 08:06:24 AM »

You could also say your game is crap on purpose.

Gregory
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 09:25:53 AM »

I have problems with doing stuff as well.  Something that's helped me is to try to work on a project every day, keeping track of it with something like http://www.joesgoals.com or http://www.rescuetime.com/ .  I definitely don't succeed at working every day, but it's helped me to work slowly but surely on stuff.  If I tell myself that it's not only okay for me to work for just a half an hour on something, but that it's a good thing, I find that I make gradual progress instead of never touching something because I feel guilty or insecure about never touching it.

And if you've got a fully-functional project that you're afraid to show off, try putting it someplace where it's expected that the project is unfinished.  I bet if you put something on the Feedback forum here and said that it was unfinished, people would be easy on you.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 09:32:44 AM »

Anyone else like this?

I have a vast and deep understanding of alot of things that go into making games, I have played countless different types of games from different types of genres, I can look at at others work and tell them what they are doing wrong, and how they can improve, but I can't seem to make anything for myself.

I wanna be a better musician, pixel artiest, programmer, 3d Modeler and etc. I get real excited to start, but when I actually do something I fear that it isn't good enough/ not what I really wanted, or I get frustrated during the process because my progress isn't where it should be. So I end up with a bunch of half finished things that are probably Ok, but I can't bring myself to actually display them. I dunno, I am I too much of a perfectionist? Am I worried that I will be laughed off the internet? I dunno, how do you over come stuff like this? When are you no longer a beginner, but someone who is somewhat proficient?

Maybe you are overestimating your real capacities.
You know how to do several game related things, but when you reach the real difficulties, you quit, thinking that it is because of lack of will, but the real reason is that subconciously you know it will be harder than you think.
Be humble , and keep working on it like a man.
The hard, boring work is the real thing.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic