Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:23:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSpelunky XBLA
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: Spelunky XBLA  (Read 55611 times)
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« on: June 16, 2011, 02:55:37 PM »

As Derek doesn't seem to want to pimp his own games on TIGSource this is the thread for discussing Spelunky XBLA. I've added details below for those who don't know what Spelunky is because they have been living in caves for the past three years.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:16:53 AM by Oddball » Logged

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 03:02:48 PM »

Is it actually exclusive in that it prevents him from releasing on PC? Or is it just only on xbox when it comes to choosing consoles?

Looking pretty damn sweet though Smiley

increpare
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 03:06:50 PM »

Congrats Derek, it's almost come to term!

Really hope someone's doing a frontpage thing about it...

THE MUSIC STRUCK ME AS A LITTLE QUEER BUT I (really, honestly) TRUST THAT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING IN THIS REGARD Smiley
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 03:12:02 PM by increpare » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 03:09:23 PM »

perhaps it's like Braid was, a time limited exclusive?

It looks fun but I'm not really a fan of the music or graphics. The artwork just looks like a cheap and low-budget casual game. Especially those gems that look as if they were ripped directly from Bejeweled and the oddly proportioned characters. It's just..too clean.

Sure it's great fun though. Such a big fan of the original I would grab this immediately no matter what, if it were on PC.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 03:32:31 PM »

I should add that I don't know for certain if it's Xbox exclusive, I'm just assuming. They usually ask for some amount of exclusivity.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 03:48:33 PM »

Oh, cool! Glad you guys are excited about it!

It looks fun but I'm not really a fan of the music or graphics. The artwork just looks like a cheap and low-budget casual game. Especially those gems that look as if they were ripped directly from Bejeweled and the oddly proportioned characters. It's just..too clean.

The character designs are pretty much set in stone at this point (and I like the way they look!), but I'm open to tweaking the other artwork in the game. Is there anything else that you think is "too clean"? What about the environment?

In general, I'm wondering if other people got a darker vibe from the original game than I imagined.

perhaps it's like Braid was, a time limited exclusive?

Yes, that's correct.

THE MUSIC STRUCK ME AS A LITTLE QUEER BUT I (really, honestly) TRUST THAT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING IN THIS REGARD Smiley

Haha, well, since I imagine I'll be getting more comments about the music in this thread (if other threads about the trailer are an indication), I should mention that the song is not really indicative of the in-game music. It was originally written for the credits roll.

That said, the feedback was duly noted and I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about the level musics when we post some.
MattG
Level 5

Pictures Of Trains

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 03:51:52 PM »

it looks cute. its a flashback to 1987 with the famicom music
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 03:53:16 PM »

I like the way it looks. I just miss the run cycle from the freeware version. Pixel Spelunky looks so full of life when he moves, but I don't get that same feeling from this version.

That is my only gripe, other than the fact that I don't have a 360 to play it on.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 04:09:25 PM »

I tried the original but it didn't quite gel with me.  For some reason I think I'm going to enjoy this more...  Perhaps it's because it seems like the brutal edge has been smoothed off a little (hard to know without playing though!)

Visually, I'm not crazy about the world border, and the ice tiles look a little strange to me (very flat and hard edged compared to other blocks.  Would like to see the specular-ish effect toned down and more of the tile borders showing?)  Old Spelunker himself looks a little desaturated maybe?  [Edit - this sounds like I don't think the graphics are amazing, which I do! Just nitpicks really...]

That said, the particles, lighting, water and other effects are all beautiful, the enemies are great, the game exudes joy and you can see the love that's gone in coming out of every pore.

Definitely prepared to change my mind about it this time...  Good luck, Mr. Yu!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 03:24:33 AM by Jasper Byrne » Logged

poe
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 04:18:09 PM »

Will the PC version have online co-op?
It says the xbox only has local...
Uykered
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 04:32:32 PM »

Looks great. I'm glad it doesn't have online co-op, much more fun to play with people in real life!
poe
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »

Looks great. I'm glad it doesn't have online co-op, much more fun to play with people in real life!
Some people don't have the option :<
Also it's easier to get four friends online than in real life.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 05:11:06 PM »

Oh, cool! Glad you guys are excited about it!

The character designs are pretty much set in stone at this point (and I like the way they look!), but I'm open to tweaking the other artwork in the game. Is there anything else that you think is "too clean"? What about the environment?

That said, the feedback was duly noted and I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about the level musics when we post some.

Not that it's bad music, just didn't seem to fit the gameplay I thought.

I didn't mean to imply that the art is bad, just not a fan of the style. And by clean I mean the lack of real detail and the fact things are so bright and colourful compared to the original. More obvious due to the fact that the characters are so big. I guess it's easier to get away with little detail with such small pixels as in the original, or when characters have rather normal proportions like in Aquaria.

And the environment art is really good, have nothing bad to say about it. Except for the gems and the design of the character the game does look nice.

I think people are being harsh on the graphics and music because they haven't played it yet. As soon as they get their hands on it I'm sure it will all mesh together nicely.

hm well that's what a few people said when he posted screenshots. "It looks better in motion wait till you see it in video" and then the video comes out and a few are still critical about it and now you say that I have to wait and play it first??  Tongue
WelcomeToAwesomeness
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 06:06:42 PM »

Any ideas about the price of it?
Uykered
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 06:47:56 PM »

Derek said 1200 points.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 08:07:29 PM »

I don't think I said that, but in any case, I'm not sure about the cost yet.

Yay, agreed! Beer!

Adding online multiplayer adds many months to the development time and it just didn't seem worth it for this game. It's meant to be played on the same couch.
Nix
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 08:58:04 PM »

It feels more like a stylistic game world than the original, where it seemed like a gritty, unexplored cave. I think this is just an effect of the higher resolution and not any particular artistic decisions. Low-res graphics can do wonders for immersion. It's definitely different, and I'm feeling that I like the original more, but I'm not disgusted or anything. It looks nice as something different.

And Derek: I definitely got a pretty gritty, dark vibe from the original. Kind of like a serious rogue-like.
Headless Man
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 09:38:56 PM »

Awesome.  Looking forward to dicking around with boomerangs and the covenant technology.  Favourite new sprite is the giant pirahna - looks great and justifies the graphix upgrade alone.
Will ropes be more useful this time around?  Always kinda bugged me that one of the less critical tools got its own slot.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 10:57:13 PM »

totally gonna get this shit

then I'm gonna kill my brother again, and again, and again Evil

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 11:41:54 PM »

I prefer the lowres version, the HD looks a bit like clipart.
Also: I'm a bit annoyed by the rolling boulder which is just a rotating sprite (shadows/lighting are just rotating with everything else)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic