Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 09:38:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSpelunky XBLA
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: Spelunky XBLA  (Read 55939 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2011, 03:29:37 PM »

question:
is playing a full game in multiplayer practical? Like, can it be a potential boon to play with others or does it generally quickly degrade into a clusterfuck where everyone gets in the way and ends up killing each other off accidentally or otherwise.

It's practical, yeah! Still need to do more testing on it, but so far it seems like multiplayer has unique advantages and disadvantages that balance out. The main advantage, of course, is that you have X times the life expectancy. You can also revive other players, although it's not nearly as cheesy as it is in NSMB Wii. I think we came up with a pretty neat way of handling player death, actually.

Weapons become a LOT more dangerous in multiplayer, since it's very easy to shoot your friends. This definitely is a game where you have to look out for friendly fire and plan accordingly. Also, there are many opportunities for goofing off, griefing, and getting revenge on people... the temptation to do so is ridiculously high!

also, if the golden idol uses the same graphic as you have heading your blog posts it doesn't seem very shiny.

We have a shader that shines all of the treasure in-game, so the actual sprites are purposefully matte. Smiley
im9today
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2011, 03:38:37 PM »

how dare you try to steal from terreria? those guys worked hard. you should go to jail for this. the sprites are obvious edits even.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2011, 03:47:01 PM »

Derek, will you be using your millions for good or for evil?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2011, 06:56:49 PM »

One obvious advantage in multiplayer is inventory management! I mean, in single-player, you get bombs, ropes, and one extra slot. Now, for every player that's added, you get:

• Another player's supply of bombs, and it's not like one hole blown open won't work for another player...
  • Another player's supply of ropes, and I'm sure you can climb on one another's...
  • Another open inventory slot, as well as the obvious ability to pass items back and forth...
  • ...and thus, a way to carry multiple key items without juggling (damsel + idol + flares, for instance)
Also consider, that multiplayer will likely result in:

• LOTS of inadvertent friendly fire
  • In-fighting over loot, weapons, damsels, and idols
  • Weeaboo players setting off traps with horrendously hilarious domino-effect results on other players
  • Maneuvering disadvantages, depending on whether players can pass through each other, or happen to push one another instead (lots of funny YASD potential there!)

falsion
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2011, 09:32:20 PM »

The graphics remind me of an iPhone or PopCap game. It has that whole shiny, painted in Photoshop look. I guess you're not doing them pixel by pixel anymore?

Also, you said that this is the credits music. Will the in-game music be completely new music or will remixes of the old tunes still appear? I've grown quite used to the chiptune music loop that the original Spelunker used. Something that's at least a throwback to it would be nice.

Edit: Also be careful with the Sikh character you used in multiplayer (the guy with the sikh pagri, or a turban as referred to in the west). Things like that can border on controversy if done improperly. The game Hitman once had to be completely redone for portraying Sikhs in the game, but then again they kinda screwed up because you could kill people in what is meant to be their holy place of worship (which is a major faux pas).

I'm of Indian (and Sikh) descent but I'm not religious at all and know nothing my parents (well, grandparents) culture. But to give my honest opinion anyway, I think it looks tasteful enough so far. I wouldn't worry about it. Still be careful though, you never know when people may cry outrage.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:15:14 PM by falsion » Logged
PowRTocH
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2011, 10:19:29 PM »

Unwarranted controversy = more sales.
Nix
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2011, 10:22:54 PM »

The vines look really thick
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2011, 04:28:50 AM »

I'm so pumped for this! The original was so amazing, it's what inspired me to become a miner in the first place. I can't wait to see what you have in store for the new one.

Though, real caves are far less exciting than the ones found in the game. There isn't very much gold or gems to be found, no cool weapons, no babes, just mostly rocks and rocks. Also, it is hard to get back to the surface once your flashlight runs out of batteries. But there is still permadeath I've heard.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2011, 08:23:59 AM »

Unwarranted controversy = more sales.
For synonyms, See: Terraria
poe
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2011, 09:25:11 AM »

I'm so pumped for this! The original was so amazing, it's what inspired me to become a miner in the first place. I can't wait to see what you have in store for the new one.

Though, real caves are far less exciting than the ones found in the game. There isn't very much gold or gems to be found, no cool weapons, no babes, just mostly rocks and rocks. Also, it is hard to get back to the surface once your flashlight runs out of batteries. But there is still permadeath I've heard.
Not sure if you're joking....
If you are it's a dangerous job, you shouldn't joke about it.
im9today
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2011, 09:29:11 AM »

dont joke about caves. read the rules.
Nitromatic
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2011, 09:51:20 AM »

Am I only one who actually chuckled at the joke of handCraftedRadio?
Damn, I am such an horrible person... Curse you, internet!
Nix
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2011, 11:16:16 AM »

I think he's being quite serious
Ashkin
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2011, 11:21:21 AM »

Caves are SRS BIZNIZ

Also I've been waiting for Spelunky XBLA for a while, if only to play some multiplayer co-op Spelunky. Can't wait!
Uykered
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2011, 12:06:26 AM »

Is there going to be any more content in this version? like more types of areas/branches etc?
Headless Man
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2011, 12:57:24 AM »

My first thought when the player gets the necronomicon was that the final stage seems a bit late for new toys to be introduced that won't either be pointless or totally overpowered, so I figured it would be a sort of key to a deeper level.  Maybe.
Reggie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2011, 10:57:33 PM »

• Weeaboo players setting off traps with horrendously hilarious domino-effect results on other players

That word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2011, 08:59:11 AM »

^ Sorry. I've had a weeaboo camping at my place for a bit, and it just slipped. I do know what it means, though.

Also, is that Teaser #2 for [spoiler]the all of the level feelings? (And the victory screen at the end?)[/spoiler] Because they're pretty catchy and fitting; but I wonder, what if two level feelings coincide? (Like darkness + undead or snake pit, for instance.) Or... is the game wired to no longer do that?

CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2012, 05:55:55 PM »

Just read the What is Spelunky? article.  This is a definite buy for me; fantastic work, Derek!

Is there going to be any more content in this version? like more types of areas/branches etc?

Yes.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2012, 06:10:35 PM »

Cool, thanks!!! Gentleman

This is the article, in case anyone else is interested: http://spelunkyworld.com/whatis.html
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic