Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 02:10:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessCross-platform, worth it?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Cross-platform, worth it?  (Read 7751 times)
medieval
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 12:31:42 PM »

Well just keep in mind that if you don't make your game cross-platform, there will be disappointed mac/linux/other users who will probably sneak up to your house and unleash a raging Mimiga on you.
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 08:34:03 PM »

XNA is a cross-platform development environment. The games run on Windows machines by default anyway. It's like Sar said, will MS get more serious about tightening things up for Windows. Let's hope they work out some bugs in XNA 3.0.
i dont know about much.. but all i hear about XNA is the trouble people have getting it to run on their systems (even when they have windows XP!!) you have to install all these weird framework patches and updates if you arent on vista.. and i imagine theres still some goofy things nessecary to install on vista too to get XNA to work. I havent really heard much good about XNA except that its easy to work with.
Flink
Level 1

Visiontrick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 11:32:59 PM »

ID is awesome, making there new game Rage for Pc,mac,360 and ps3 running on the same codebase, Carmac is the shit!

december
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 09:43:46 AM »

XNA is a cross-platform development environment. The games run on Windows machines by default anyway. It's like Sar said, will MS get more serious about tightening things up for Windows. Let's hope they work out some bugs in XNA 3.0.
i dont know about much.. but all i hear about XNA is the trouble people have getting it to run on their systems (even when they have windows XP!!) you have to install all these weird framework patches and updates if you arent on vista.. and i imagine theres still some goofy things nessecary to install on vista too to get XNA to work. I havent really heard much good about XNA except that its easy to work with.
I'm on vista and you have to install different versions of the .NET framework as new versions don't just supercede the old versions.  And even then it wasn't until I had Visual Studio Express installed that any XNA actually worked.  That was about when I said learning XNA is not going to be that great and started looking into lwjgl instead.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 06:37:03 PM »

I'm on vista and you have to install different versions of the .NET framework as new versions don't just supercede the old versions.  And even then it wasn't until I had Visual Studio Express installed that any XNA actually worked.  That was about when I said learning XNA is not going to be that great and started looking into lwjgl instead.

uhm, maybe it's your fault because vista have already the .net framework installed.. the hassle is only for xp but as far i know you need only to install one redistributable (the 2.0 is good for xna games)

ID is awesome, making there new game Rage for Pc,mac,360 and ps3 running on the same codebase, Carmac is the shit!

but his surname is Carmack Tongue

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
ColossusEntertainment
Level 1

Royal Leamington Spa, UK

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 11:46:50 PM »

uhm, maybe it's your fault because

It never matters if it is the users fault. If someone can't run your XNA game for *any* reason, they will just move on to the next game, and never look at yours again. So, if you're selling the game, and rely on it to pay bills and buy food, you probably need to make sure there's nothing potential customers can screw up: the game should just run, period. Or you will lose sales. And that is way XNA is one of the worst solutions for indie-games.

And even if you are a hobbyist, just giving your games away, you probably want lots of people to play them... so even if it's not as big an issue in that case, it's still an issue.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic