Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:24:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWyv and Keep Preview! Come play it!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Wyv and Keep Preview! Come play it!  (Read 7375 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011, 02:59:40 PM »

Nice little game. The demo is rather simple (possibly just me since many consider my TrapThem
hardcore:(( ). The solution is quickly visible despite some traps here and there. But I wonder how hard the levels might get.

One important thing to note is that you should work on your map-collision-system before release. Sometimes the player just falls down through a plane and is catched up the next beneath. Also sometimes it is possible to stand at vertical walls. It happened in level 7 (bomb-level): after using the first bomb you are left with a long vertical wall, but you don't necessarily need to use your partner's shoulders to overcome it since you can jump towards it and sometimes you can stand next to it in an edgy position. Then you can jump again and you have made it.

An important question to the programmer: Did he use "isFixedTimeStep=true;" without any changes in the code. Please ask him, I would like to know how you handle the gamespeed by using xna.

Ok, technical issues aside. It looks like you have created a decent and lovely 2P-puzzler with dedication to detail:) May you have success! Beer!

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Beau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 08:58:05 AM »

Thanks for the responses!

We are continuing to work on the collision system, as well as optimizing the game engine, so it will also run quicker on a variety of systems. We know that the demo had a few quirks, but a lot of what was in place had been recently changed, as we were changing how backgrounds were mapped / loaded.

In regards to the difficulty, we're targeting casual players, but that isn't to say the game doesn't get pretty tough towards the end. It is a puzzle game after all. The demo includes about 1/3rd of the total traps in the game (we wanted to give people a taste, but not spoil all the surprises). The demo's difficulty also climaxes around the approximate difficulty of our 3rd of 6 worlds. The last two in particular are considerably brutal.

But once again, we have taken this into account and are including an easy mode, which has significantly reduced difficulty, so people who are new to the game, can still have a good time and manage through the main campaign.

Thanks again for the comments! We'll keep you all posted!

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 09:45:53 AM »

Hey Beau, can you please ask your programmer how he handles gamespeed. I just want to know whether you use"isFixedTimeStep=true;" without any changes in the code. Just show him this line, he will know what I mean. Thanks.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Twitch
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 08:07:51 PM »

J-Snake, it's set to False; changing it shouldn't affect any of the game code, since it's designed to run on the time difference anyway, but I may try doing so to improve the collisions.

I don't know what you mean about 'any changes to the code' exactly, so I'm assuming that you're asking how I handled interpolation between frames with a floating timestep.
Each frame, the difference in time between the current frame and last is converted into a float, named delta.
The delta is then used to modify the velocity/etc applied. Simply put, it's position += velocity * delta.

You're absolutely right about the collisions still being shoddy in certain situations. I've tried to make them as solid as I can, but it's quite hard to test for incongruities on a fast computer!
Noisefever
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 10:10:13 PM »

crashes before start (right after double click).

Win7 64bit, Non-Installer Version
Ichigo Jam
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 06:36:25 AM »

I also felt a bit like I was cheating when I pushed the box like this. Largely because it's a bit fiddly - it doesn't work if the girl is a bit further left (I think because the guy's feet aren't well enough supported?)
Jesse
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 11:32:12 AM »

crashes before start (right after double click).

Win7 64bit, Non-Installer Version
A number of people have gotten this one - I believe it's related to the video that plays at the front of the preview. We'll hopefully have that fixed this weekend and a new preview version up!

I also felt a bit like I was cheating when I pushed the box like this. Largely because it's a bit fiddly - it doesn't work if the girl is a bit further left (I think because the guy's feet aren't well enough supported?)

Yes, if the top player is balancing - nearly falling off what they're standing on - they won't be able to push. These rules work quite well, I think it's just another animation or two that's necessary to make that situation less buggy feeling.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 02:17:48 PM »

Setting fixed timestep to false is what I have expected. Otherwise it runs jerky, right? (You could apply visual interpolation without changing the game-logic)
What you are doing now is faking consistent game-logic but it doesn't matter for a puzzle-game like this.

@collision: It seems you are doing the collision for each block in the map iteratively (similar to what gamemeker is doing by default). This is not a good idea (also the main reason why so many gamemaker-games run so slow). In your case I would suggest a grid-based solution for static objects, that way you cannot get stuck inbetween, it is also the best solution regarding performance. That is also what I am using for TrapThem.

If you are using xna4, then you have to put "x86" instead of "any cpu" in the build options. Otherwise you may have problems to run it on some 64-hardware. Xna is still entirely 32-bit. Otherwise just google for that problem, you should fine articles about that.

Beau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 07:29:15 AM »

Hey all! Just stopping by to update with the latest from Wyv and Keep. We've had a lot of recent exciting developments that we want to share!

First off, we now have animated backdrops in place, which add a breath of fresh air to the templates. We're not intending on overusing them (there is enough going on to keep track of), but they do a cool job of accenting levels and giving them a little bit of shine. Here are some jungle waterfalls Smiley

Next up, we have been polishing up a lot of our backgrounds and adding more complexity to them. Originally our tile sheets were restricted to 128x128, which was a tad small. But now we have limitless tile sheet sizes, so we're making the best of it and adding a whole new world of depth to the sets. It's all quite exciting! Here is a shot of the updated Volcano:

Finally, we have perked the interest of some distributors, who have been gracious enough to sign on with us! The popular distribution platform Desura and Japanese distributor Playism have both picked up WnK. In addition, Playism has a booth at the Tokyo Game Show, and will be featuring Wyv and Keep there! Yay!

In celebration, we've created a brand new spanking video, which showcases many of the latest features of Wyv and Keep (mentioned above). It's in Japanese, but all the same, it is the latest and greatest and worth a watch.

Check out the latest video here!

And as always, the Preorder is available with the latest demo and brand new editor. We are reopening the forums in the near future, so those of you with the editor can play and share one another's levels. We will be releasing our own special levels (and templates), too. But they will only be accessible with the editor. So pick it up and support us Smiley
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:02:00 AM by Beau » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic