Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:13:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudio"Video Game Hero" suite for orchestra, and other music.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "Video Game Hero" suite for orchestra, and other music.  (Read 1253 times)
ElijahCross
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2011, 03:53:22 PM »

Hello, I'm brand new here - looking forward to making some connections.

Most of my musical training comes from the San Diego School of Creative and Performing Arts. I've also been studying theory and composition/orchestration for many years. I've decided, after playing the phenomenal Super Mario Galaxy, I want to write for video games.

Here, in order, is a narrative suite I wrote for an imaginary game, and two other incidental/looping pieces written with Zelda in mind, composed in Finale. I'd love to hear from folks interested in having orchestral music (in particular, but also electronic, etc.) in their titles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBh-ry3msZI

Video Game Hero - Suite for Orchestra -

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 03:41:10 PM »

From what I heard... You're VERY talented!  Gentleman Beer!
I was actually working on an "imaginary game soundtrack" myself, but due to certain circumstances, I stopped.

All of the melodies sound very fitting and I especially liked the unconventionally beautiful "The Battle at Night."
You should have no trouble finding work around here if you're looking for it and honestly, I think you are Nintendo qualified. The melodies are very distinct and have their own... flavor.
What I DO recommend, though, is work a little on your dynamics. The audio can get a little crusty when it's loud. Also, the instruments used (and I mean no offense, just advice from a fellow composer) sound a bit cliché'. Never be afraid to experiment with odd or wacky instrument combinations for certain styles. IT just seems like you were playing it a bit safe. That's not a bad thing, though. Also, I may just be forgetful, but I think most of the works were in 4/4 or 6/8. Try to brach out a little bit. Listen to John Powell's "Death and Transfiguration," which uses a cool 3/4 time to portray a hero's struggle. Other than that, VERY good stuff! Even made me close my eyes a few times!

Also, your "237 Years" pitch seems like a wonderful idea (this is coming from a current film student).

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic