Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411472 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:13:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMeaningful Screenshots!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Meaningful Screenshots!  (Read 31962 times)
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2007, 09:45:04 PM »

But the body text of the original post said "aka gorgeous screenshots".

SHELLAC FTW

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2007, 10:23:47 PM »

EDIT: Interestingly, I'm pretty sure this screenshot of Trilby's Notes never actually occurs in the game, and Yahtzee intentionally set it up to be pretty and put it on his site...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 07:15:43 PM by sergiocornaga » Logged
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2007, 12:45:22 AM »

COLDPLAY THE BEST BAND EVAH

I liked their song.

Any word on whether they're planning to write another one?

Formerly "I Like Cake."
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2007, 03:59:56 AM »

I'm sure, but it's a page of writing! That's like posting a page out of a book and saying it's a beautiful image because, if you read it, it's a great story. All well and good, and yet I can't help but feel that communication is starting to break down at that point. I don't think this was meant to be a controversial topic!

Fair enough. This shall be my last post that doesn't contain pure screenshottage.

That is basically what it looks like when you're playing the game, but surely whether or not it resembles a cutscene has nothing to do with whether or not it is an evocative image? I think you may be imposing far too much "this is what I think the game ought to play like" onto a simple "this is an evocative image" statement. The player need not be either of those characters.

No, this is true. To me, it is less evocative like this. I cannot identify with any person in the scene. As has been implied and mentioned several times throughout this thread, this is all subjective. It would be rather hard for me not to show something of my personality when saying what a particular screenshot evokes in me.

You're suddenly going to hold this game to critical standards far higher than you would expect of anything else? I hope you're not sulking! Sure, tastes vary, but calling that screenshot out for looking too crap to fit the bill is pushing the boat pretty far out

Well, you're kinda putting words into my mouth here, just a little bit. I said and meant nothing of the sort! He looks comical like the final boss did in Lylatwars/Starfox 64, that is to say, funny, not sad or pathetic. No matter how "good" a screenshot of that is, I'd still laugh and say "hee hee, it's a monkey!"

The fact that the big guy looks a little awkward and pathetic to you shows that it's evoking quite well.

More words in my mouth, but never mind, eh? Now that you mention it, I can obviously see where you're coming from, but if we're talking about just the images on their own, then all I really see is a big, funny-looking guy who maybe does seem a little awkward, just sort o standing there, but the little guy is running away, so is he being chased, or what?

I'm sure you guys really do imagine a whole lot of vivid stuff while playing Roguelikes, but a screenshot of a Roguelike is just a bunch of coloured ascii. If it evokes anything, it is surely just that sensation of playing a Roguelike. You may as well say that "##....$..@..." is an evocative image (please don't...)

Maybe we need a little clarification here. My post was basically supposed to be a counter-example to your previous statement, which was "I think if you have to have played something before the screenshot is seen to be evocative, then it probably isn't an evocative screenshot."

The definition of "evocative" in my mind definitely includes the term "evokes memories". So a screenshot of a roguelike evokes memories of that game, or a similar game. I was saying, "if this statement is true, then the SOTC screenshot is as evocative as the RL screenshot, i.e. not at all". But I guess I just got a little too riled up. Smiley

ANYWAY, it's all moved on, so here's a lovely screenshot (which I hope doesn't get destroyed by hotlinking):

Also, CASTLEVANIA FTW

olücæbelel
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2007, 06:46:10 AM »

FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2007, 07:34:58 AM »

EVOKE

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 07:38:01 AM by fartron » Logged

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2007, 08:10:16 PM »

If your screens wide enough, they'll face off against each other.
JohnB
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2007, 05:43:03 PM »

Ok, I give. Where can I grab this game?! O_O

I'm a writer. I write words for games. Example: Bitcoin Billionaire, Freaking Meatbags.
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2007, 01:42:26 PM »

and i can't forget:

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2007, 02:30:33 PM »

Phew! For I moment there, I was afraid that the last game pictured was called: "Elmo's bouncing balls"...

portabello
Level 0

charlie don't surf!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2007, 02:39:38 PM »

This, to me, is genuinely evocative. I first played this a couple of days ago (despite having known of its existence for years) and while I haven't got far (I have exams, you know) it's pretty amazing so far.

Photopia!  This is my favorite game of all time!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2007, 02:27:46 AM »

I love Photopia too. It's "UP" puzzle was the greatest puzzle in any game I've ever seen.

Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2007, 06:31:47 AM »

This is evocative

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2007, 09:51:44 AM »

So Derek, you like this kind of stuff in your forum?

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2007, 11:35:04 AM »

I'm sure this could be expanded greatly:

Evocative to:
[ ] Me.
[ ] People with a lot of imagination.
( ) People familiar with the game's language.
( ) Any gamer.
( ) Almost anyone.

Evocative in the following ways:
[ ] Emotional story / background.
[ ] Funny/clever setup.
[ ] Fun to explore all the details.
[ ] Allows personal interpretation.
[ ] I can't put my finger on it.
[ ] Nostalgia.

It's also visually Gorgeous to:
[ ] Me.
[ ] People with a lot of imagination.
( ) People familiar with the game's language..
( ) Any gamer.
( ) Almost anyone.

It's Gorgeous because of:
[ ] Pixels.
[ ] Technical stuff.
[ ] Atmosphere.
[ ] Art & Design.

It's Gorgeous:
( ) Only at the time of release.
( ) Timelessly.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 11:42:25 AM by Arne » Logged
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2007, 12:29:15 PM »

What's the difference between [ ] and ( )?

Oh yeah, and Oh, not this again.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2007, 12:31:34 PM »

Maybe this thread should be renamed 'screenshots I like'?

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2007, 02:22:42 PM »

Yeah, I think a lot of people didn't really get the point of this exercise, which was to find images that captured a certain emotion.  I thought the Shadow of the Colossus screen I posted would be enough to give people the idea.  It evoked a sense of incredible scale and breathtaking beauty - I think if you saw that and didn't know what it was about, you'd go "wow."

Anyway, it didn't work, but that's fine. Tongue
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: June 28, 2007, 03:35:23 PM »

I think another thing this thread shows to me is how bad a job games do at this so far. It's a rare game that has a screenshot that's as interesting as your average (non-abstract) painting, there are not many screenshots I'd hang on my wall.

I don't really like the game (the gameplay is too easy) but I think FF7 did the best job at evocative screen layouts that I've seen:

http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/screenshots/

Examples:
http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/screenshots/images/027.png http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/screenshots/images/020.png
http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/screenshots/images/145.png
http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/screenshots/images/219.png
http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/screenshots/images/359.png
http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/screenshots/images/488.png

If I ever do a 3D game, I like FF7's idea of carefully wrought pre-rendered backgrounds, you have a lot more artistic control that way. FF7's pre-rendered scenes still look far nicer to me than the freely rotate-able perspectives in FFX and FFXII.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 03:38:11 PM by rinkuhero » Logged

GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2007, 04:39:44 PM »

I find them very dry.  Good as far as pre-rendered 3D goes, but still very dry.  I can only really enjoy pre-rendered scenery when its hand touched; otherwise it's like the worst of both worlds.  The generic (though detailed) industrial settings dragged on me too.

Here is a snapshot I took of the Playstation game Sentient once.  The TV has an interesting effect here.  The 3D in the game is generally poor, but somehow it has this eerie, oppressive atmosphere.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic