Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:00:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMeaningful Screenshots!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Meaningful Screenshots!  (Read 31974 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2007, 06:22:59 PM »

[ ]POST PIX
[ ]GTFO

All of you
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 08:06:49 PM by moi » Logged

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Gargantua
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2007, 07:55:57 PM »

Seriously, are you kidding? You keep proving your own conclusions wrong each time.

it represents something bigger. It represents a massive adventure embarked on by a single character. That your hero looks more tired as he gets more tired is an elaboration of the representation. It's fucking fantastic.

First off, roguelikes represent a massive adventure embarked upon by a single character, are you so biased to that form of display that you can't see how the symbolism of a roguelike works? SotC uses a more advanced medium to paint with much greater detail, but that is completely separate from Rogue, except for the fact both are videogames.

There may be text in an RL, but there's no texture. There's no feeling. It's all characters that represent another thing that represent another thing.

What? Are you kidding, because it evokes no (positive) feeling in you because of whatever personal preferences you have against ASCII, does that mean it has no texture or feeling? Did your word become law all of a sudden? And one thing represents another which represents another? Oh, wait, isn't that what video games do, oh damn, isn't that what literature, music, and art do? The only things we're essentially viewing are ideas, so how exactly does that point even exclude Rogue, or include SotC over something else?

All I'm saying is that there are leagues of difference between that RL and Shadow of the Colossus.

Did anybody say there wasn't?
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2007, 08:10:54 PM »

UT is an infinite reserve for evocative screenshots...

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2007, 11:37:12 PM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 11:40:43 PM by haowan » Logged

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2007, 01:49:38 AM »

I'm kinda with Xix on this one, actually. Some of those screenshots are tremendously evocative images, regardless of what you thought of the game. Many others are simply "hey, remember this? I used to really like this game!"

Nothing wrong with that, and I guess the initial post was kinda ambiguous, but they are very much two different things.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2007, 02:25:07 AM »

I hafta agree with Anthony on this one... maybe I shouldn't have added the "aka Nostalgic Screenshots" in there. Embarrassed

Essentially I feel like there could be an evocative screenshot to be found in a Roguelike (or any type of game), but the one posted which just shows a bat missing the player, is hardly evocative.  It evokes certain feelings, but perhaps not the type I was thinking of.

Which is fine, but it is turning into a bit of a free-for-all.  What I meant are screenshots that evoke a sort of swelling, strong emotion, like seeing a beautiful landscape or perhaps a heartfelt moment.  Nostalgia is a good one, but it should be a poignant scene, and not just a scene.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2007, 04:18:27 AM »

I had to load up my emulator just to get this one.

olücæbelel
Johan Peitz
Level 1

88 mph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2007, 04:18:50 AM »

Personally, I just love the sunset in Super Mario Sunshine. It's (for me) one of those rare places in games where I can stop playing and just enjoy the scenery.

Also, when the tower emerges from the depths in Zelda:WW was goose bumping, but I failed to find any shots of that. (Btw, just sailing around in WW is underrated. Wink )

Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2007, 06:27:53 AM »

Ok, I think the "nostalgia" part left field for pretty much everything Wink So I guess from my original screenshots only the rogue and cv3 one keep being "gorgeous"

Edit: Mistakenly used quote instead of modify
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 06:30:26 AM by Slashie » Logged

Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2007, 06:46:11 AM »

Then look at the RL. There are numbers that are explicit. Your HP, your MP, your inventory. Everything is laid out. Even if you want to pretend like you can imagine a world through the different ASCII characters... it's routine. There are no artistic choices picking out the information the game shows you. It's... just there.
First off, this is not a roguelike... it is ROGUE Tongue

All I'm saying is that there are leagues of difference between that RL and Shadow of the Colossus.
Granted... but I fail to see the point of this over the discussion.

Well... this is turning into a classic roguelike vs. modern display discussion, which strays away from what the OP proposed, so I will stop here

GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2007, 08:38:42 AM »

Essentially I feel like there could be an evocative screenshot to be found in a Roguelike (or any type of game), but the one posted which just shows a bat missing the player, is hardly evocative.  It evokes certain feelings, but perhaps not the type I was thinking of.

Requesting pictures of awesome Dwarf Fortress forts if anyone has them.  Those screenshots suggest such depth it's inspiring.
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2007, 06:33:18 PM »

what's wrong with me, leaving the obvious out?

lexaloffle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2007, 11:02:39 PM »

███ Joseph White
███ Lexaloffle Games
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2007, 05:59:30 AM »

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2007, 06:32:16 AM »

Ugh

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2007, 06:50:04 AM »

Wow, I'm with xix on this one.

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2007, 10:36:32 AM »

If that's a mockup, then well played.

Otherwise... what?

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2007, 12:03:11 PM »

lol

Gamer_2k4
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2007, 07:49:44 PM »

Requesting pictures of awesome Dwarf Fortress forts if anyone has them.  Those screenshots suggest such depth it's inspiring.

Here's one: http://the-crime-in-your-coffee.anagkh.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/dwarffortress.png

Anyway, to xix and others who don't think roguelike screenshots can be evocative, you should play a few.  To me, this screenshot is heart-rending: http://reptoran.rogueforge.net/images/lev17.PNG

Gamer_2k4
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2007, 09:19:58 PM »

Oh, I've definitely played some Roguelikes.

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic