Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:55:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsStrategy Platformer - Looking for artist
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Strategy Platformer - Looking for artist  (Read 2731 times)
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 26, 2011, 11:12:43 AM »

Hey guys, I, along with Alec Holowka and Tom Rab, have been working on a strategy platformer for the last few weeks and we're at the stages now where we need an artist to help pull the project together visually.

The game is a scifi platformer, where you land on a planet with a set of 4-6 human units. Upon landing you can move the units around in a turn-based system. The goal of the game is to defeat the hostile aliens on each planet, by destroying their base and units.

Your units can preform a number of different actions, as can be seen in the mockup above (the lower HUD). Units can be asked to move to a given location, use a specific weapon, mine areas/ground for resources, and construct different types of structures (such as ladders, solar cells, doors, lights, elevators, etc).

Generally speaking, we're still in the early stages of the game and are still working on the details, such as how exactly our turn-based platforming battle system will work, how units and resources can be maneuvered and used, etc.
That said, we do have a very basic working prototype with unit movement, mining, construction, and basic fighting.

The mockup above was one done by myself, but there are a number of problems with it. Firstly, the size/resolution of the sprites is too small to easily interact with it (you can't really click on 8x8 units and icons that well). My spriting capabilities don't go much past this though, and I seem unable to make a similar look at a larger resolution (we're thinking 16x16 scaled 2x).

So, this is where we're hoping to find a capable artist who's interested in collaborating with us on this project, who's able to create a similar atmosphere but with a higher resolution of art.

For those interested, here's what the game currently looks like with 16x16 tiles, using my temporary art. screeny

Thanks!  Beer!

Bahototh
Level 1

Design, Pixels & Art

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 10:24:53 PM »

Hello!

This looks like the kind of game graphics I like to do.
I am an amatuer pixel artist. I'd like to help out, and I could do quic mockup as
a test to see what you think?

Good luck!

-----------------------------------------------------
"An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one." ~Charles Horton Cooley
---------------------------------------------------
[Thy Sword] https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=48380.0
Bahototh
Level 1

Design, Pixels & Art

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 07:23:45 AM »

quick mockup.